Author Topic: '65 Ford VIN Not Shelby related  (Read 3278 times)

Rocket

• View Profile
'65 Ford VIN Not Shelby related
« on: January 26, 2018, 12:51:24 PM »
Does anyone know the approximate Ford vin of the earliest fastbacks that were built. I have a friend, who's vin ends in 154081, I think. I might be missing a 0 in the middle. I think when San Jose started Mustang production, they started with 100001, but since fastbacks started much later, there were a lot of Mustangs already built. His car has some odd features, and he has been told it was a very early fastback. Thanks for any help with this. Ron
Original owner of 6S550. Owned since 1967. 64,000 Miles, all body original except hood and front valance. All glass original except windshield. Still has aluminum 4 speed. Has replacement Mico.  Also own 1966 Mustang convertible. They are drivers, not trailer queens.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: '65 Ford VIN Not Shelby related
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 04:19:19 PM »
Does anyone know the approximate Ford vin of the earliest fastbacks that were built. I have a friend, who's vin ends in 154081, I think. I might be missing a 0 in the middle. I think when San Jose started Mustang production, they started with 100001, but since fastbacks started much later, there were a lot of Mustangs already built. His car has some odd features, and he has been told it was a very early fastback. Thanks for any help with this. Ron
Try over at the concours Mustang forum . http://concoursmustang.com/
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

gjz30075

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 05:41:38 AM »
This car has been making the rounds at MCA Nationals, among other significant Concours events.
Greg Z
6S2249

6R07mi

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 03:44:46 PM »

Earliest Dearborn, San Jose or Metuchen fastback?

jp
Former owner 6S283, 70 "Boss351", 66 GT 6F07, 67 FB GT
current: 66 GT former day 2 track car 6R07
20+ yrs Ford Parts Mgr, now Meritor Defense

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2018, 10:11:48 PM »

Remember that they were not built in sequential order so 1000001 was likely not the first one built or possibly not built in the first days or week

There were fastbacks built as early and May  for testing and media usage but these I don't believe were assembled at any of the normal Mustang assembly plants.  The second 65 fastback we owned (never kept record of the VINs) was so early that it had the cloth insert interior and the handling package. Odd car but stolen and rolled during the get away/police chance.

Notice you dual posted this thread. Might want to remove the earlier one. Happened to me a number of times today. Get the error message, resubmit get another error - end up with multiples

As far as "early" features some of what are identified as 64 1/2 items/features were continued well into mid 65 production.  This can and often do confuse some owners and commenters
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 10:18:28 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2018, 10:36:11 PM »
The beginning of fastback production coincided with the normal '65' production year  roll-out.  This was also when Ford changed the electrical systems from generator charging to alternator.  This was just 1 of among many minor and major differences between 64.5 and 65 cars.  The switch-over was significant enough that Ford re-sequenced the unit numbers, with Dearborn starting '65 production at 250001 and San Jose at 125001.  We know the K code fastback noted above is the earliest '65 alternator car VIN at San Jose.  As to whether or not it was made first, anybody's guess, but probably not. 

So, answering the question, the earliest unit number a fastback could have been for Dearborn would have been either 250001 or later and as mentioned 125001 at San Jose.  Metuchen didn't start production until Feb '65.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

tesgt350

• View Profile
    • BLACK HAT PERFORMANCE
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2018, 12:02:27 PM »

I used to own a super early 65 Fastback........it had 64.5 Carpet, 64.5 Front Seats, 64.5 Dash Panel, 64.5 Headlight Buckets & Hood and 64.5 Window Regulators.  100% original Paint, Body and Interior, it was Aqua with White Interior.

tesgt350

• View Profile
    • BLACK HAT PERFORMANCE
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2018, 12:09:00 PM »
Incase some of you do not know:  64.5 Carpet does not go up the sides and under the Scuff Plats.  64.5 Seats only use ONE Spring Clip that keeps the Seat Back attached to the Seat Bottom (65 has 2 Spring Clips).  64.5 Dash Panels use Screws to attach the Eyebrow piece to the Panel that the Dash Pad slips onto (65 Spot Welds on).  64.5 Window Regulators use Spring C Clips that hold on the Handles (65 uses Screws).