The Official SAAC Forum
December 13, 2017, 07:49:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1487 Beginning the Resto Journey  (Read 13702 times)
68GT350Bill

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2015, 03:46:47 PM »

A little more progress to report. Finished up the left rear quarter damage repairs...one glitch was that the Dynacorn piece we were working with had the indent for the reflector stamped incorrectly...it was noticeably out of alignment so we cut it out and repositioned it correctly.

Also, have the valve cover restoration complete thanks to many tips and suggestions from folks on this forum. Still need to attach the wire loom mounts...waiting for those to come back from the plater.

Will be doing the dyno test on the motor tomorrow...will post a link to the video if I can.

* leftrearquarter.jpg (48.11 KB, 640x480 - viewed 344 times.)

* lefttrunk.jpg (51.3 KB, 480x640 - viewed 314 times.)

* valvecovers.jpg (5.36 KB, 640x480 - viewed 210 times.)
68GT350Bill

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2015, 10:50:22 PM »

Did the Dyno run on the 331 stroker today. Very happy with the results: 345 ft-lb torque at 4200 rpm and 335 hp at 5600 rpm. Lot's of low end torque. It's not a fire breather by any means but the goal was to imagine what Shelby might have built as a Hi-Po motor in '68 instead of Ford installing the anemic J-code 302. To the casual observer (that doesn't include most forum members here!) the motor will look vintage if not stock...the most obvious departure being the Hi-Po exhaust manifolds. It's going to be a lot peppier than the stock motor and will make the car really fun to drive.

Dyno Run Inside Engine Room:
http://youtu.be/sZVK9I0o_SA

From Control Room:
http://youtu.be/vNdgmvup8QY

Engine Idle Sound
http://youtu.be/_6h9YSNBpyY

* image.jpg (59.11 KB, 640x480 - viewed 310 times.)

* dyyno.jpg (63.74 KB, 480x640 - viewed 293 times.)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 06:47:22 AM by 68GT350Bill » Logged
68GT350Bill

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2015, 08:08:00 AM »

More progress on the body work...all major metal repair is complete....still need to complete the rear tail assembly and some major repairs to the trunk lid which was apparently damaged in the same  incident that took out the rear left quarter...fixing poorly done previous repairs is a lot more work than just doing the repair correctly to begin with!

* bodywork1.jpg (33.15 KB, 480x480 - viewed 372 times.)

* bodywork2.jpg (34.5 KB, 480x480 - viewed 344 times.)

* Trunklid.jpg (48.97 KB, 640x480 - viewed 298 times.)
johnnymg

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2015, 08:22:51 AM »

videos private?? Cry   looking good though.

Pmustang

Email
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2015, 01:30:34 PM »

So with the shell laid up for a while I am glad to volunteer to break in your engine :-)

68GT350Bill

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2015, 02:39:02 PM »

I re-loaded the videos so that they are public...sorry about that.

Illinicane

'65 GT350, '68 GT500

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2015, 04:42:10 AM »

Great progress!!!  Love the fact you put some additional power into the 302 (which can be a dog)!!

Chug a Lug

Proud owner of two Shelby's.
Proud member of SAAC.
Proud contributor of Windy City SAAC Region
68GT350Bill

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2015, 07:03:18 AM »

Thanks- we tried to give a reasonable amount of thought to the engine build. I'm trying to do the car as close to original as reasonably possible without breaking the bank but with the original block being gone it seemed like an opportunity to do a nice (mostly invisible) upgrade. I found a date correct 302 block  that I set aside with the original heads, iron intake, exhaust manifolds and Autolite carb. We took the existing '70 Mexican block  and added some ported 351 heads (which look almost identical  to the original heads from the outside) and I sourced an original Shelby hi-rise intake and the correct Holly carb....add in the stroker kit. hydraulic cam, lifters, etc  and we have a pretty nice little power plant that looks like it actually should be in the car (more or less!) Of course, the engine build broke the bank by itself but some things you just have to do right!

68GT350Bill

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2016, 08:35:50 PM »

Its been a while....body and paint guys have their own idea of schedule. Back in action on 1487....all the sheet metal repair is done and initial prep for painting is underway....fitting panels, etc.  Hoping to get it on the road for the summer but it may be too early to predict which year!

* Drivers Side.jpg (45.9 KB, 640x480 - viewed 271 times.)

* Passenger Front.jpg (40.68 KB, 640x480 - viewed 283 times.)

* Rear.jpg (47.31 KB, 640x480 - viewed 311 times.)
Pmustang

Email
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2016, 10:53:24 PM »

Love it

BTW. Recently brought in a car with a 331. You are in for a treat. This is a 65 fastback and today it's healthy is an understatement. I took it out for a short spin and came back like a Sixteen year old after his first successful date. Wolf in sheep clothing it was not. More like a grizzly in lions clothing.

Love the updates keep em coming.

427heaven

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2016, 05:49:04 AM »

I love watching the trials and tribulations of putting together a vintage muscle car. You did the right thing in my eyes of putting more muscle into your ride, these cars were built as performance cars so driving around with a smog dog is not appealing. Having been in your position not too long ago with making decisions on which direction the build will go is fun. Car 1189 is a Big Block car and was in a similar predicament, I opted for more Horsepower Grin when it comes down to it, more is better in that department! Going thru the same process has its ups and downs but each step brings a closeness to your ride that only someone doing it can feel. Will be watching progress- Enjoy! Party on

Peter L.

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2016, 06:41:59 AM »

I agree with more is better in the horsepower department, especially when it looks 100% stock. PeelOut .However you have to be careful not to cross that line of driveability. I really enjoy driving my car, but it requires high octane racing fuel and keeping an eye on the tune up for it to really perform at it's potential.
  Find that balance, and it will be a pleasure to drive without all the constant maintenance.

KR 04052
69 Fairlane Cobra Formal Roof Drag Pack
nukemmc
SAAC Member

Email
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2016, 06:23:07 PM »

I am also in the same boat with 1861. A previous owner installed a non-hipo 289 bottom with hipo heads, S1MS intake, 3259 reissue carb and early Blackjack headers. I wan't to install a 302 roller block, aluminum heads, F303 cam, S7MS intake and 670 Avenger. Paint it all to look close and use correct timing cover, water pump and such. Extra HP and reliability are the goal. Going to drop the front an inch to improve stance and handling also.

~Bruce

1968 GT350 conv #1861
68GT350Bill

« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2016, 06:50:51 PM »

A bit of an update....body work continues albeit slowly. Not a lot that is hugely noticeable but, nevertheless a lot of work. Most work of late has been massaging the fiberglass...the hood had been used as a shelf for apparently quite a while and had quite a few chips and dings that had been improperly repaired in the past. The front valence was an old repro that was poorly done and in bad shape we so sourced a new LMC repro  which, in turn, required quite a bit of time for fitting as well as glassing in the mounting studs to look like an original piece. I was able to source a used oem nose letter panel to replace the existing repro but it had broken tabs, was slightly warped, etc., etc which took more time. Pretty much all of rear of the car has had to be dealt with one way or another to replace some previous collision damage that was well hidden by up to 3/8" of bondo. Some new sheet metal was added as well as a new (but used) oem tail light panel. We ended up sourcing a pair of LMC quarter caps as both of the ones on the car had sustained so much previous damage (also well hidden) that it really was better to start with a fresh canvas. Finally, the trunk lid also required quite a bit of repair work to get it back to where it should be. We're getting close though to the point where we can get a coat of epoxy primer on it and then on to the rotisserie to get after the bottom which, thankfully isn't too bad other than having to repair the rear frame rail holes...both are ripped from somebody hooking a chain to the car and dragging it (I assume) out of the mud...no big deal...just another thing on the check list.

Meanwhile, I've been working with restoration of the rest of the pieces and parts...its a long list!

Here are a few pictures of what things look like today...

* Nose.jpg (54.58 KB, 640x480 - viewed 225 times.)

* Left Rear.jpg (45.32 KB, 640x480 - viewed 256 times.)

* Right Rear.jpg (42.81 KB, 640x480 - viewed 231 times.)
Bob Gaines

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2016, 07:11:24 PM »

A bit of an update....body work continues albeit slowly. Not a lot that is hugely noticeable but, nevertheless a lot of work. Most work of late has been massaging the fiberglass...the hood had been used as a shelf for apparently quite a while and had quite a few chips and dings that had been improperly repaired in the past. The front valence was an old repro that was poorly done and in bad shape we so sourced a new LMC repro  which, in turn, required quite a bit of time for fitting as well as glassing in the mounting studs to look like an original piece. I was able to source a used oem nose letter panel to replace the existing repro but it had broken tabs, was slightly warped, etc., etc which took more time. Pretty much all of rear of the car has had to be dealt with one way or another to replace some previous collision damage that was well hidden by up to 3/8" of bondo. Some new sheet metal was added as well as a new (but used) oem tail light panel. We ended up sourcing a pair of LMC quarter caps as both of the ones on the car had sustained so much previous damage (also well hidden) that it really was better to start with a fresh canvas. Finally, the trunk lid also required quite a bit of repair work to get it back to where it should be. We're getting close though to the point where we can get a coat of epoxy primer on it and then on to the rotisserie to get after the bottom which, thankfully isn't too bad other than having to repair the rear frame rail holes...both are ripped from somebody hooking a chain to the car and dragging it (I assume) out of the mud...no big deal...just another thing on the check list.

Meanwhile, I've been working with restoration of the rest of the pieces and parts...its a long list!

Here are a few pictures of what things look like today...

That is a common hook on point for tow drivers also . I have seen many examples where the chain was ratcheted down so tight on a rollback or similar that it ripped a wound a foot long.

Shelby Car Enthusiast, Collector, Shelby Concours Judge
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!