The Official SAAC Forum
November 19, 2017, 07:11:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1487 Beginning the Resto Journey  (Read 13286 times)
Rodster-500

« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2016, 05:05:07 PM »

Update???   I heard paint may be happening soon, if so we need pictures!  Camera     Grin

There is a fine line between genius and insanity
68GT350Bill

« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2017, 12:37:34 PM »

Progress reports have been a little slow. At the last report we had started applying the red oxide primer. Since then, the focus has been on final surface preparation for paint. One of the bigger issues with this car has been that previous repair attempts or paint jobs on this car have resulted (in some cases) in more damage than the problem trying to be solved. In the case of the fiberglass, a previous paint job entailed blasting the hood and trunk lid with incorrect media which pretty much toasted the gel coat. You can cover it up with enough epoxy primer but that's not the correct long term way to go. In addition to repairing the surface, the hood and trunk lid both had the typical warping  and material migration that comes from almost 50 years of climate hot and cold cycles. So, like many projects, the last 5% of the work is taking 95% of the time!

Following the red oxide, we did go forward with something that may have a few heads scratching. For a number of reasons, we applied the over spray to the bottom without painting the car. The primary reason is that we didn't feel that the base color of the two stage paint we are using would look as correct as it should so, we mixed up some single stage urethane, completely masked the car and pretended to paint it...followed up by the pinch weld paint overspray...a little unorthodox but it really looks great and was quite a bit easier to do with the car on the rotisserie instead of a body cart.

The first picture shows the under side.

We do have a little base color sprayed on fenders and some of the fiberglass. This picture makes the Highland Green look a little light for some reason but it's an exact match to a sample that Tim Lea was so kind to send me...

Meanwhile, there's been a lot of work going on readying and detailing pieces and parts...The third picture shows the rear axle....I don't  know what the "89" (or "68" depending on your angle ) indicates as it's not typical but, since it was on the original housing, I chose to replicate it as with all the other marks that I could find..

Finally, the last picture shows a collage of a variety of things that are ready to go and waiting for assembly...just a tiny fraction of what we've been working on while the body/paint has been underway.

Base color should be wrapping up late next week...I'll post another round of pictures once the clear is on.

* Bottom Small.jpg (63.02 KB, 640x480 - viewed 181 times.)

* Base Coat.jpg (27.29 KB, 480x480 - viewed 139 times.)

* Rear Axle Detail.jpg (119.33 KB, 640x480 - viewed 170 times.)

* Details Collage.jpg (72.69 KB, 640x480 - viewed 181 times.)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 12:40:40 PM by 68GT350Bill » Logged
SAAC Member

« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2017, 01:56:25 PM »

I think the pre-spray overspray is a clever idea. Hope the results are good.

Rodster-500

« Reply #48 on: January 01, 2017, 06:33:07 PM »

+1 Clever idea.

Slow and steady will win the race and you will have a beautiful car you know is done right. Much better than rushing the process.

Interesting comments about fixing previous fixes. A good reason to buy a rough original car versus a older unknown 'restoration' if you have a choice.

Good luck and thanks for the update.  Chug a Lug

car 26-JD

« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2017, 06:40:45 PM »

Progress reports have been a little slow. At the last report we had started applying the red oxide primer. Since then, the focus has been on final surface preparation for paint. One of the bigger issues with this car has been that previous repair attempts or paint jobs on this car have resulted (in some cases) in more damage than the problem trying to be solved. In the case of the fiberglass, a previous paint job entailed blasting the hood and trunk lid with incorrect media which pretty much toasted the gel coat. You can cover it up with enough epoxy primer but that's not the correct long term way to go. In addition to repairing the surface, the hood and trunk lid both had the typical warping  and material migration that comes from almost 50 years of climate hot and cold cycles. So, like many projects, the last 5% of the work is taking 95% of the time!

Following the red oxide, we did go forward with something that may have a few heads scratching. For a number of reasons, we applied the over spray to the bottom without painting the car. The primary reason is that we didn't feel that the base color of the two stage paint we are using would look as correct as it should so, we mixed up some single stage urethane, completely masked the car and pretended to paint it...followed up by the pinch weld paint overspray...a little unorthodox but it really looks great and was quite a bit easier to do with the car on the rotisserie instead of a body cart.

I've been surprised that others have not done this, or the reverse - I've suggested it but they don't get it.

Looks good!

« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 06:43:37 PM by car 26-JD » Logged
J_Speegle

www.ConcoursMustang.com

WWW Email
« Reply #50 on: January 01, 2017, 07:22:02 PM »

I've been surprised that others have not done this, or the reverse - I've suggested it but they don't get it.

Often it doesn't work out or the overspray is not logically applied so that the paint on the exterior panel matches what we see on the back or undersides. See this all the time especially on fenders and wheel wells . Many of us refer to it as magic or mystery overspray

Shepherding a current restoration where the owner is doing this way - will be there paint day so he gets it right Wink

Though I do understand the challenge for those who are using BCCC exterior paints and the HVLP guns.   Chug a Lug

Jeff Speegle
Enthusiast, Judge, Detail Collector, ConcoursMustang.com Mentor
68GT350Bill

« Reply #51 on: January 01, 2017, 08:19:24 PM »

Often it doesn't work out or the overspray is not logically applied so that the paint on the exterior panel matches what we see on the back or undersides.

Very good point...that's why we used a single stage paint for the overspray...very close match to what the body looks like after cleared.

Though I do understand the challenge for those who are using BCCC exterior paints and the HVLP guns.

The pressures of today's paint guns versus 60's assembly line is like comparing a water pistol to a fire hose...that definitely adds to the complexity which was another reason for doing it the way we did.

68GT350Bill

« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2017, 06:49:16 PM »

We've had some really cold weather here in Idaho so painting has slipped even a little more behind. Finally have some progress this week. All base/clear is done on the outside...trunk still needs to be painted as well as the dash and engine compartment black but we're getting closer!

* Side View.jpg (5.36 KB, 640x480 - viewed 131 times.)

* Rear View.jpg (64.03 KB, 640x480 - viewed 138 times.)

* Hood.jpg (55.54 KB, 640x480 - viewed 140 times.)

* Fenders.jpg (49.01 KB, 480x640 - viewed 121 times.)
Rodster-500

« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2017, 09:47:39 PM »

Looks great!!!  Chug a Lug

You are going to have a killer car when it's done.  Wink

Thanks for the pics.

68GT350Bill

« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2017, 11:44:07 AM »

Some more progress...things are moving fast...

* Trunk.jpg (56.87 KB, 480x640 - viewed 122 times.)

* Interior.jpg (42.51 KB, 480x640 - viewed 109 times.)

* Blackout.jpg (42.29 KB, 480x640 - viewed 92 times.)

* Black Closeup.jpg (37.85 KB, 480x640 - viewed 115 times.)
SAAC Member

« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2017, 11:45:43 AM »

What part of Idaho are you in?

Spent my summers growing up hiking and camping in the panhandle.

Great job by the way!

68GT350Bill

« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2017, 11:51:07 AM »

What part of Idaho are you in?

Boise. North Idaho is indeed a great place...

Ldouble619
SAAC Member

Email
« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2017, 01:02:34 PM »

Looks great. I'm sure you are excited to start assembling.

Rodster-500

« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2017, 08:33:12 PM »

Some more progress...things are moving fast...

Hang on to your hat!   Grin   Looks great!

Peter L.

« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2017, 06:16:02 AM »

Looks great!! There's no better feeling than when you finally get to bolt on that first piece of new chrome that's been sitting on the shelf forever.  Chug a Lug

KR 04052
69 Fairlane Cobra Formal Roof Drag Pack
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!