The Official SAAC Forum
November 19, 2017, 03:42:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1487 Beginning the Resto Journey  (Read 13275 times)
68GT350Bill

« on: February 05, 2015, 11:05:11 PM »

After a couple of years planning and asking dozens of inane questions on this forum, we took 1487 to media blasting today. You can see in the pictures that there's a bit of work to do on the rear quarter and tail. We knew when we bought the car that there had been what looked to be a relatively small rust patch in the quarter and a little damage to the tail from something but, as often is the case, as the onion got peeled back we found a little more fun than originally expected. A few other surprises were found here and there as well. Kind of like opening a treasure chest but not as much fun.  Grin

If only these cars could talk...there's evidence of a previous trailer hitch...one possible scenario is that there was some kind of incident with the trailer that punched in the tail a bit and then jack knifed it into the quarter which was whacked pretty good based on what was under the bondo (3/8" in some spots).

* image.jpg (47.42 KB, 640x480 - viewed 389 times.)

* image.jpg (54.78 KB, 640x480 - viewed 373 times.)

* image.jpg (44.25 KB, 640x480 - viewed 379 times.)
Pmustang

Email
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 12:45:25 AM »

Will be nice to know everything is 100% when the bodywork is done

I think this is why we get so excited about these cars. The hidden stories

I look forward to pics as she progresses

What level will your restoration be going to?

Peter

Chris Thauberger
68 Gulf Tango Fiver

Email
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 04:58:01 AM »

Beautiful!

Nice to see another car on the road to recovery.

Chris  Chug a Lug

1968 GT 500   SAAC 42 Concours Gold                     1966 Mustang drop top 4 speed Pony Interior

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF9UUgPsa8I

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking" 
Rodster-500

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 07:11:59 AM »

Beautiful!

Nice to see another car on the road to recovery.

Chris  Chug a Lug

+1

Makes me appreciate the rust free/damage free car I started with.  Wink

There is a fine line between genius and insanity
68GT350Bill

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 08:08:49 AM »

Peter - I'm not sure how to characterize the level of restoration exactly but I've been calling it "a couple notches shy of stupid". I really love the details involved in figuring out what the cars should have looked like on Day 1 and the goal will be to have anything that you can see be as close to accurate as reasonably possible keeping in mind that the car will be driven occasionally and that there is a practical and $ limit of how far to go unless the goal is a Div I car which isn't the case.

The most glaring example will be the motor...the original block is long gone but the car came with a '71 Mexican block. I set aside the original heads and iron intake (along with a date correct 302 block) and will replace them with a correct Shelby Hi- Rise intake and Holley carb plus a set of 351 heads and build up a 331 stroker with hydraulic cam, etc. For the casual observer (no one from this board however!) the motor will look pretty good but will clearly not be correct especially if we use Hi-Po exhaust manifolds or possibly headers to get it to flow better. The theme of the motor is end up with something that Shelby might have liked instead of the plain Jane J-code that Ford put in  it.

The body work required is obviously more than we thought we had bargained for but it has to be done. The real problem with the car (as with many I suspect) is that the quality of the repairs to the original damage is what has led to the more extensive rust that we discovered. We'll keep posting pictures as it progresses.

Coralsnake

www.thecoralsnake.com

WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 09:15:58 AM »

I know a guy with an NOS quarter panel, but you are going to need stupid money to get it.

Chug a Lug

Shelby Car Enthusiast, Shelby Researcher, theCoralsnake.com Webmaster and the official Conelec Public Relations Officer.
David R
SAAC Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2015, 10:03:29 AM »

This sounds a lot like my project. Keep us updated, I'm interested in hearing what you do to yours.

David

Dkutz

Email
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2015, 10:49:29 AM »

If only these cars could talk...there's evidence of a previous trailer hitch...one possible scenario is that there was some kind of incident with the trailer that punched in the tail a bit and then jack knifed it into the quarter which was whacked pretty good based on what was under the bondo (3/8" in some spots).

I saw a vintage picture not too long ago with shelby mustangs towing trailers with other Shelby track cars in tow...  maybe your car was one in the picture!!

68GT350Bill

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2015, 11:04:18 AM »

I've seen those pictures as well and that's my fantasy...more likely was that it was used to tow someone's garbage trailer!

Bob Gaines

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2015, 02:17:27 PM »

I saw a vintage picture not too long ago with shelby mustangs towing trailers with other Shelby track cars in tow...  maybe your car was one in the picture!!
when these cars were daily drivers back in the 70's it was common sight for a trailer hitch to be seen . More so on 67-69 from what i remember but very common . Now you typically only see the two holes in front of the gas tank which signify's the typical trailer hitch forward mounting point .  It was considered by owners like another option back in the day .

Shelby Car Enthusiast, Collector, Shelby Concours Judge
cobradad

And the garage space to put them in....

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2015, 03:28:07 PM »

Will be nice to know everything is 100% when the bodywork is done
I think this is why we get so excited about these cars. The hidden stories
I look forward to pics as she progresses
What level will your restoration be going to?

Peter
+1 on all the sentiments Peter mentioned. Taking mine down to bare metal gave me that good feeling
that all would be right with the car when paint was put back on and
in a couple of cases surprised me with what was hidden under the "original" paint.
Clarence

Pmustang

Email
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2015, 03:48:29 PM »

Thanks for the reply.

I'd love to have the patience, skill  and $$ to do a full resto. I actually like seeing projects and cars in process better than finished cars. Strange I know.

Look forward to new entries as the car progresses.

Cheers. Peter

68GT350Bill

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2015, 04:05:52 PM »

Tried to post some pictures earlier but it didn't work for some reason so I'll take another stab at it.

Progress with body work...front floor repairs complete (rust from heater core leak)...passenger side rear quarter rust repair complete....trunk area complete and rear tail panel mocked in (using a standard trunk lid to make sure everything is straight as it would have been delivered to AO Smith)...driver's side rear quarter repair underway to fix damage from a collision at some point in the car's life...note that we fabbed our own trunk drops as any repros we could find didn't even resemble what was on a '68.

Floor Pan Repair

Passenger Side Rear Quarter Repair

Tail Panel Repair (with standard trunk lid for mock-up)

Driver's Side rear Quarter Repair (with newly fabbed trunk drop)

Preliminary Engine Assembly and Painting (331 Stroker using a 71 Mexican block and 351 heads) We'll be installing a Cobra aluminum intake but we did the initial painting with the iron intake in place...made it easier to mask plus we now have the correct looking blue headed bolts!

Probably have about another month of metal work to do before it goes back to the blaster for another round and then the real body work can start. The trunk lid is going to take a bit of work as we've discovered some damage to it from whatever collision the car was involved in. Nothing major...just another unanticipated step.

Tentative schedule for initial dyno run on the motor is in a couple of weeks. I'll try to figure out how to post some video of that when the time comes.

68GT350Bill

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2015, 10:08:36 AM »

I'm bumping this up to the top since my previous attempts to load photos caused the data base to lock up and the previous post wasn't seen by anyone. Thanks to Bill S for helping me fix it.

Pmustang

Email
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2015, 10:40:11 AM »

Nice progress. 

331 stroker, yummy!

Keep it up

Peter

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!