Author Topic: Peter Revson Parts Brochure  (Read 2788 times)

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Peter Revson Parts Brochure
« on: September 14, 2018, 09:35:33 AM »
Was going through some of my dad's Pantera stuff and came across this Pantera and Capri aftermarket parts brochure.

Has anyone ever seen one of these?  It's 12 pages, black & white, with blue and red on the front & back cover.

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Peter Revson Parts Brochure
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 10:02:32 AM »
Very cool, JD!

It’s a shame Peter never won any medals.
Nothing beats a classic!

propayne

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 11:29:22 AM »
That is super cool!!

Speed With Style..

- Phillip
President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 11:38:53 AM »
Interesting guy. Won  a couple F1 races before dying in testing.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Revson

propayne

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 12:18:48 PM »
Won a couple of races in his Bud Moore Cougar also  ;D

- Phillip

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 12:43:59 PM »
I have his autograph on the back of a pit-pass for Trans-am race at Mid-Ohio from the late '60's,  I posted it and others on the old forum, I'll have to find the files on the other computer and repost it.

He was related to the Revlon beauty empire but wanted to go racing, not the corporate world, had a rough go of it in his early years in Europe I think, the family would not support him.  He had some talent that's for sure. 

Was at the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix one year and a guy had Revson's late 50's Maserati 3500GT, I'll see if I can find that too.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

kjspeed

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2018, 01:29:59 PM »
I had one of those cars back in the day! Unfortunately it was the Capri, not the Pantera. Nice little grocery getter though. First and only car I ever had that spit out flywheel bolts. Had an automatic and while driving on I-81 in NY with my boss we heard a **ping** metallic sound. A few minutes later we heard another. As we were discussing what it could be we heard several more and the engine began to rev free. All 6 flywheel bolts had come out. Towed it back home and replaced them with LocTite and didn't have any more problem. Met it's demise at an intersection where a 16 year old girl made a left turn right in front of me with an Olds Delta 88. We hit pretty much head-on. Score: Oldsmobile 1, Capri 0. Fortunately it was at only 25-30MPH and no injuries.
1968 Shelby GT350
1968 Mustang GT S-code
2009 Mustang Bullitt

Don Johnston

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2018, 02:25:39 PM »
Peter lived in the same apartment building in Redondo Beach next to the Chart House restaurant.  My brother had the parking stall next to him in the building.  They used used to great each other frequently when Peter was home. Unfortunately, I never had the chance to meet him when I visited there.  8)

propayne

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2018, 04:02:48 PM »
Out of print but well worth picking up, The Autobiography of Peter Revson - SPEED WITH STYLE by Peter along with Autoweek publisher Leon Mandel.

Among other things, it gives a first hand account of the animosity between Ford and Mercury.

- Phillip

Don Johnston

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2018, 09:24:29 PM »
Thanks for the tip.  Found two versions of the same book, different covers available on Amazon.  Comments on the different editions???  8)

propayne

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2018, 08:23:09 AM »
Hmmm, maybe they put out a revised version after his death?

Here is the cover to the copy I have.

An even better book and the perfect companion to the Revson book is "The Unfair Advantage" by Mark Donohue with Paul Van Valkenburgh.

To me, Revson and Donohue are kind of the "yin and yang" of that era of racing.

Revson was sort of the first "Rock Star" race car driver. Very handsome, playboy, partier, show up and race the car while Donohue was an engineer, fitness enthusiast, did a lot of work on his own cars who behaved himself.

I know they revised the Donohue book after his death.

- Phillip

propayne

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2018, 08:29:33 AM »
Of course the Pantera and the Capri were both sold through Lincoln-Mercury dealers.

- Phillip

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2018, 08:56:40 AM »
Here's one of the Mid-Ohio Pit Passes with Revson's autograph, It was late than I remembered 1971.

Also had forgotten that he and Steve McQueen shared a ride and won at Sebring in preparation for the filming of McQueen's movie LeMans.  (McQueen raced with a broken foot in a cast)

Don Johnston

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2018, 02:23:10 PM »
Wonder if Peter sold the Cougar Dan Gurney models at his dealership.   8)

propayne

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2018, 04:08:58 PM »
Looks like the Peyton - Revson dealership opened for the '69 model year, so probably not new but maybe some Hertz units.

Revson won twice as many races in his BME TA Cougar than Gurney and he participated in fewer races.

- Phillip