Author Topic: 65 on EBay  (Read 7732 times)

GT350Lad

• SAAC Member
  • Trent
    • View Profile
65 on EBay
« on: September 07, 2018, 08:07:20 AM »
Hi guys,
            Anyone know much about this 65 on Ebay? I wonder what reserve is

https://m.ebay.com/itm/1965-Ford-Mustang-Shelby-GT350/123354235383?hash=item1cb87c41f7:g:0MEAAOSwaGBbkBKE

Cheers
6S373
6S1276

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: 65 on EBay
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 08:11:42 AM »
Geez. They even posted a shot of the full Ford VIN on the block.  :o
Nothing beats a classic!

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 09:09:57 AM »
Not a car we see on EBay too often anymore.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

sfm5

• SAAC Member
  • Great White North
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 10:17:26 AM »
Copying in the text for when the ad expires:

Item specifics

Condition:
Used 

Seller Notes:
“This Shelby GT350 was rotisserie restored in 1986. The restoration has aged well. The interior has little wear.”

Year:  1965 VIN (Vehicle Identification Number):  SFM5S296
Mileage:  39,957 Interior Color:  Black
Make:  Ford Number of Cylinders:  8
Model: 
Mustang
Transmission:  Manual
Trim:  Shelby GT350 Body Type:  Coupe
Engine:  289 K Code Warranty:  Vehicle does NOT have an existing warranty
Drive Type:  RWD Vehicle Title:  Clear
For Sale By:  Private Seller Exterior Color:  White

1965 Mustang Shelby GT350:  Well documented ownership history in the SAAC Shelby Registry .  A rotisserie restoration completed in 1985 by the second owner.  Currently in excellent running and driving condition.

Body: The original owner cut the fender wells when the car was new to utilize larger wheels for racing.  At the same time a R  series front apron was also installed.  The car looked similar to the picture in the gallery, and could be this car.  No racing history is currently available.  The 2nd owner sourced 4 factory Ford fenders and installed them prior to the restoration.  The paint used at the time was "performance pack" which was a combination of enamel and urethane which has aged properly.  This car is a early GT350 which has the proper rear battery installation.

Engine: According to the 2nd owner as well as the numbers stamped on the block the engine is original to the car.  Rebuilt in 1985 with heads done by Crane.  Runs excellent.,  Very powerful with a throaty exhaust installed by the second owner during the restoration.  According to the 2nd owner the transmission that was installed when he received it was a Top Loader which he replaced with the correct aluminum T10M which it still has today.  Transmission shift perfectly with proper clutch feel.

Interior: The interior includes reproduction seats installed during the restoration  as well as what appears to be a reproduction steering wheel which could be explained by the below documents from the registry.  The other elements appear original or new old stock. 

Chassis: Restored condition.  Correct date stamped steel wheels. Koni Shocks, side exit exhaust completed during the restoration.

History Synopsis: I have reached out the the owners listed in the SCCA Shelby Registry. 

Below I will quote the Shelby registry which may have some inaccuracies.  I have read that every person involved with the car would normally show, but some are dealers. The dealer that brokered the car from owner 1 to owner 2 was a huge help in piecing together the cars life.  Along with him the 2nd owner generously supplied me with a great deal of details on the car.  I thank both of them very much.  I have edited the names out out of the ownership history.

The below quoted from the 4th edition 2011 of the SAAC Shelby Registry 1965-1966-1967

"5S296 Date received at Shelby America 5/17/65; date work started 5/19/65; date work finished 5/25/65; date ordered 7/23/65.  Shipped to Bowditch Ford (Newport News, VA) 8/4/65; they were invoiced $3,547 plus $214 for Crager Wheels plus $90.25 freight for a total of $3,851.25. 9/29/65 Bowditch replaced the damaged steering wheel." 

History I have derived:

Purchased by (owner 1)  (West Cornwall, CT) There is a discrepancy here -owner 2 was a broker/dealer whom I spoke too (sold in 1985 with 36,000 miles.  He sold it to who really is owner 2.  Owner 2 (Phoenix, MD.)  sold to owner 3 (unknown name, but the current owner told me it sat in a collection for 25 years with out being driven or altered. Owner 4 purchased the car in 2015, and has put very few miles on it.  It now shows what I believe to be original miles of 39957.

65 GT350

camp upshur

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2018, 01:52:09 PM »

"Correct date stamped steel wheels."

oh boy

gt350cs

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2018, 02:37:56 PM »
I saw that too.

GT350Lad

• SAAC Member
  • Trent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2018, 04:01:02 PM »

Agree, not too many 65s
6S373
6S1276

GT350Lad

• SAAC Member
  • Trent
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2018, 04:33:48 PM »
Price moving up...150k now
6S373
6S1276

Bigfoot

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2018, 09:42:54 PM »

Agree, not too many 65s

Fo sure
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

69mach351w

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2018, 10:01:12 PM »
What's wrong with that?  If I were going to buy a 65 for a lot of dough, I'd want to know the Ford VIN ???

Jim Herrud

• SAAC Member
  • '65 GT350 Tribute, '19 GT350 Eagle ID
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2018, 10:49:24 PM »
I asked the same question a few months back and got a concise reply from Mr. Gaines:

Not to hijack the thread, but I have a newbie question. This is the second time I've seen a forum reference to accidentally showing a Ford VIN number. Can someone explain what the faux pas is here? Is this a legal issue, or simply one of etiquette or something else? Just curious. Thx!
In the past unscrupulous people have made up a car using vin numbers from another . In the case of 65,66 and 67 Shelby the Ford VIN is hidden under the Shelby vin plate . The Shelby VIN is different then the Ford VIN number. The SACC registry knows which Ford VIN number goes with what Shelby VIN number. If someone  attempts to fake a car and the hidden Ford number doesn't match what is on the books it is exposed as a fake.  Since the number is hidden on the 65,66,67 year cars it is harder to fake those. If both numbers are known it is easier to fake one. The hidden number sometimes gets exposed by accident which is like the reference you have seen. I hope this helps.
Shelby Buff.
I used to be a “Vintage Car” guy. Now I’m just a “Vintage” car guy.
"There's never enough horsepower - Just not enough traction." - C.S.
Straight Roads are for Fast Cars. Turns are for Fast Drivers.

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2018, 09:19:07 AM »
I asked the same question a few months back and got a concise reply from Mr. Gaines:

Not to hijack the thread, but I have a newbie question. This is the second time I've seen a forum reference to accidentally showing a Ford VIN number. Can someone explain what the faux pas is here? Is this a legal issue, or simply one of etiquette or something else? Just curious. Thx!
In the past unscrupulous people have made up a car using vin numbers from another . In the case of 65,66 and 67 Shelby the Ford VIN is hidden under the Shelby vin plate . The Shelby VIN is different then the Ford VIN number. The SACC registry knows which Ford VIN number goes with what Shelby VIN number. If someone  attempts to fake a car and the hidden Ford number doesn't match what is on the books it is exposed as a fake.  Since the number is hidden on the 65,66,67 year cars it is harder to fake those. If both numbers are known it is easier to fake one. The hidden number sometimes gets exposed by accident which is like the reference you have seen. I hope this helps.

Bingo!  Again, I wouldn't buy a car that hadn't been verified by SAAC, and there are ways to do this as a buyer / seller without divulging the Ford VIN.  So, the point is well taken both ways.  :)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 09:21:29 AM by Shelby_0022 »
Nothing beats a classic!

Bigfoot

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2018, 03:23:44 PM »
What's wrong with that?  If I were going to buy a 65 for a lot of dough, I'd want to know the Ford VIN ???

But you don’t need the world to see it.
Unless you were joking...
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Greg

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2018, 03:48:37 PM »
What number did they stop putting the battery in the trunk?
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

GT350Lad

• SAAC Member
  • Trent
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2018, 04:14:50 PM »

Bingo!  Again, I wouldn't buy a car that hadn't been verified by SAAC, and there are ways to do this as a buyer / seller without divulging the Ford VIN.  So, the point is well taken both ways.  :)

Agree, get an expert and get Howard involved in the process. Approachable helpful guy; he might even tell you a story or 2 about his R!
6S373
6S1276