News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Title

Started by JohnnyQuest, August 23, 2018, 07:07:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnnyQuest

How is your car titled?

Manuf: Shelby....... or Ford?
Model: Mustang..........or GT350?
VIN: SFMS6xxxx.......or 6Sxxxx

My incoming papers say Ford as manuf and Shelby as Model......dunno.

Thanks
zero
Looking for another 2008 Red KR

Ford GT500 coupe.....

davez

Depends on the state
Virginia has Vehicle ID, year, Make,  Vehicle Body
mine are SFM6S... , 1966,  Shelby,  2d coupe

My 68 has Shelby Cobra as Make
Conv. as body

zray

Beyond the state, it depends to a large part on the tag agent that fills out the original application for title from the dealers submitted MSO.

Tag agents around here had a simple system, if the MSO was submitted by a Ford dealer, then the car is a Ford, regardless of the fact the MSO says the manufacturer was SHELBY AMERICAN.  Try and tell them differently, and you get the 1,000 yard stare.

Either way, it has zero bearing on car value. As long as the serial number is a Shelby serial number, you are good to go.

Z

kjspeed

1968 Shelby GT350
1968 Mustang GT S-code
2009 Mustang Bullitt

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

JohnnyQuest

zero
Looking for another 2008 Red KR

Don Johnston

1966 Shelby with Shelby VIN.  DOT uses Shelby American DSO manufacturer code number.

SFM6S087

Quote from: JohnnyQuest on August 23, 2018, 07:07:37 PM
How is your car titled?

Thanks

Make: SHELBY AME
Year Model: 1966
Body Style: 2HT
VIN: SFM6Sxxx

Steve

Rocket

6S550  has always been registered by the Shelby vin, and make as Shelby since I bought it in 1967. It has been that way in 5 different states.   Vin 6S550  Year 66  Make Shel  Body  2dr    Ronj
Original owner of 6S550. Owned since 1967. 64,000 Miles, all body original except hood and front valance. All glass original except windshield. Still has aluminum 4 speed. Has replacement Mico.  Also own 1966 Mustang convertible. They are drivers, not trailer queens.

FL SAAC

Quote from: JohnnyQuest on August 23, 2018, 07:07:37 PM
How is your car titled?

Thanks

The answer is yes. Depending on the originating state and how it was originally registered is how it will appear.  Could be Ford, Shelby,  Cobra, GT500, GT350 etc

Unfortunately most states will not alter what has been the title history.  I.E. if it says Ford but you want Shelby, the state will not succumb to your request.

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

SFM66H

A couple years ago, after a personalized license plate change request, I decided to try a different approach with the DMV. I included a letter with my paperwork that outlined the history of Shelby American and the uniqueness of the cars it produced. To my utter astonishment (and delight), this is how my new title came back:

I had been expecting the typical red-tape bureaucracy, and a spelling of something like "SHELB" - as it had been on previous titles for my car.
1966 GT350H owner since June 30, 1976

FL SAAC

Quote from: SFM66H on August 24, 2018, 11:28:06 AM
A couple years ago, after a personalized license plate change request, I decided to try a different approach with the DMV. I included a letter with my paperwork that outlined the history of Shelby American and the uniqueness of the cars it produced. To my utter astonishment (and delight), this is how my new title came back:

I had been expecting the typical red-tape bureaucracy, and a spelling of something like "SHELB" - as it had been on previous titles for my car.

+ 1 impressed with the happy ending
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Bigfoot

Have had both.
Have had Ford GT500 type shit
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

greekz

To show how messed up the California DMV can be, I have attached a picture of the 1975 registration for 6S1134.  As you can see, it is registered as a GT-350, VIN 8FM651134.  It was probably that way from 1966 until 1984, when J Butz bought 1134 from the Caudill Estate.  He was a close friend of theirs and knew the car since new.  He changed the make to Ford with the correct VIN.  That how it is registered today.  Someone had some very bad eyesight to mess up the VIN so badly.  This is the strangest registration I have ever seen.  My 1967 is registered as a Shelby.

Greek
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339