The Official SAAC Forum
December 12, 2017, 01:26:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ken Miles would be 90 today  (Read 9067 times)
shelbydoug

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2009, 05:46:39 AM »

It isn't just the French that bend the rules. Ask Pete Consiglio about how the Canadians reversed the starting grid in 1967 and put him at the very back because all the Canadians qualified at the rear?

Ask Shelby about how Ferari got the last race of the year in 1964 canceled because in all likeliness Shelby would have beat him to take the manufacturers championship?

The point is there is no limit on dirty, underhanded actions in racing or the automotive field, the Corporate world, politics, the real world, etc., etc., etc... at all. So what else is new?
Wink

« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 09:50:03 AM by shelbydoug » Logged

"buy it or watch it go by"
jguyer

Email
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2009, 12:34:17 PM »

I never met Mr. Miles or saw him in person, but I would have liked to have had a cup of tea with him.

A friend gave me a picture thirty years ago that might give some insight on Ken's attitude.

* Miles.jpg (59.09 KB, 800x543 - viewed 224 times.)
1ntCobra

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2009, 01:28:19 PM »

He DID finish ahead of the other cars - the frogs in their infinate wisdom said that the car that followed him across the line won because they were gridded farther back in the field and therefore traveled a few feet farther during the 24 hour period. I was always under the impression that one's race started when they passed the start/finish line. Seems the french have many starting lines and a common finish line. They were not aware until after the race that Miles had not been declared the winner.

Wasn't there a story a few years back that Miles was actually a lap ahead, but it was not counted...

shelbydoug

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2009, 02:32:14 PM »

Yes this is all true but what created the problem was that Henry Ford was there and ordered that the team finish 1,2,3 in close proximity so that he could "rub it in" to the other team owners.
Miles had to slow down to let the other cars catch up. When he did that the distance between the cars was closed to such an extent that the #2 car actually had to have come from farther back in the pack and therefore travel further and thus Miles was declared to have finished 2 as a result even though he finished ahead of the other car.

Blame that one on Henry Ford for wanting to be a pompous gazillionaire, not the race comity.

GT350Shelb

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur

Email
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2009, 03:29:44 PM »

There is nothing dirty or underhanded in racing its just how you interpet the rule book  Grin.  besides its not cheating till ya get caught !

jguyer

Email
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2009, 03:34:02 PM »

Since Henry Ford II was paying the bills he was able to orchestrate the image of three FORD GT's crossing the finish line at the same time. That is the image most people remember, not who won the race. I would have preferred Mr. Miles to have won, but no Guyer GT's were entered that year.

John

GT200 Pinto

AMERICA No apology necessary

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2009, 10:53:23 PM »

It isn't just the French that bend the rules.

They just seem to be the real professionals at it. Take a look at what is going on in F1 about Renault and last years Singapore race. And don't forget they got tired of having the little Mini kick their butts at the Monte Carlo Rallye so the searched and searched and found that the bulbs in the lights weren't the ones homoligated so they disqualified the cars.

GT200 Pinto

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2009, 10:55:08 PM »

There is nothing dirty or underhanded in racing its just how you interpet the rule book  Grin.  besides its not cheating till ya get caught !

I's use Smokey Yunick as my attorney at the appeal.

GT200 Pinto

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2009, 10:58:54 PM »

Since Henry Ford II was paying the bills he was able to orchestrate the image of three FORD GT's crossing the finish line at the same time. That is the image most people remember, not who won the race.

Porsche used the same photo set-up at Daytona - but Titus stuck his Mustang in the picture just to rub it in. He had been National Champion in a Porsche so they were kinda looking down their noses at him for racing a grocery getter.

shelbydoug

« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2009, 05:04:42 AM »

The point is that Ford ordered the finish from the drivers for a photo opportunity. Not that Ferari is any better about these things but this is the type of stuff that causes the immage of the ugly American in the Europeans eyes.
It is said that the money that came from Ford for the racing efforts in these years was Henry's personal monies.

It isn't that I don't appreciate that or am not a fan of it. I am. I have been for oh so many more then a few years.  Grin But I am not a fan of Corporations...and I suppose Kingdoms too. This is just one example of why. And if I have offended any of you corporate people out there now by stating that...get up real close when I say this...screw you too. Oh and as far as the King...off with his head! 
Grin

« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 05:53:33 AM by shelbydoug » Logged

jguyer

Email
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2009, 06:01:06 AM »

"The point is that Ford ordered the finish from the drivers for a photo opportunity."

And you still see that image today when anyone writes about Ford racing. My personnal favorite is of a GT40 with the brake discs glowing bright red, but that's not a winning car.

As far as corporations go, they seem to take on a life of their own and don't care about the people in or around them. At what point did Shelby American become Shelby Automobiles INC?

GT350Shelb

Email
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2009, 07:16:25 AM »

I's use Smokey Yunick as my attorney at the appeal.

Yes ,I would have to agree there!

shelbydoug

« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2009, 07:41:46 AM »

"The point is that Ford ordered the finish from the drivers for a photo opportunity."

And you still see that image today when anyone writes about Ford racing. My personnal favorite is of a GT40 with the brake discs glowing bright red, but that's not a winning car.

As far as corporations go, they seem to take on a life of their own and don't care about the people in or around them. At what point did Shelby American become Shelby Automobiles INC?

I suppose at some point in 1961 or early 1962 when it became apparent the Cobra was eminent?

My perspective on this entire situation is not that I or anyone else hates corporations or that someone else might worship them, no, not at all.

That is just an eternal battle that will exist forever.

The last time I looked...ok, just looked again now...automobile racing is categorized as a sport. I suppose that I am more accepting to the incorporation of Shelby American Inc., because in my heart I would like to think that it was founded largely to beat Ferari's ass...just for the fun of it...as good sport.  Grin

That puts it into the same philosophies as baseball, football, horse racing, etc., etc., etc. Sport to me is a concept founded upon the basic principles of individual human achievement.

When Henry Ford ordered Ken Miles to slow down and wait for the other GT40's and therefore modified the outcome, he did so to emphasize not the principles of sport as defined as the achievements of the individual "athletes" but to emphasize the industrial might of the Ford Motor Company, his individual magnanimousness and he being the divine recipient of the Ford heritage of magnificence. Old blood and guts himself.

Call me crazy if you like, but to me that has the most minimal  percentage of sport that I've seen...ever.

Do we continue to see the picture of that finish today? Of course. It is one of my favorites of all time. But I choose to think it was only made possible by the individual efforts and talents of people like Miles. Not by the pompous desires of a sponsoring Monarch like Henry Ford.

Miles is the one that should have had the accolades. Not Henry.

When people say who won there in 66 they say Ford, not Bruce McLarin or Ken Miles and I think this is entirely the point of my disillusionment and I suppose this will be an eternal unresolvable debate as well at least for me?

I'll bet that if you ask the head of Shelby American Inc, what he thinks about it and I'll bet you that he says "Ken won". Don't blame this on the French. Blame it on Henry.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 05:47:01 AM by shelbydoug » Logged

GT350Shelb

Email
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2009, 08:46:15 AM »

Its about the money always has been always will be!

shelbydoug

« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2009, 09:09:09 AM »

Its about the money always has been always will be!

Maybe so but some still play just for the love of the game? Grin

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!