The Official SAAC Forum
December 16, 2017, 12:26:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GEORGE WATTERS COLLECTION  (Read 191966 times)
richstang

« Reply #870 on: September 28, 2017, 10:11:16 AM »

Thanks for sharing these fantastic "behind the scenes" photos & story George! Great work on the improved sound of Eleanor and all the other details!
It's neat to see Willow Springs was involved yet again with a Shelby.

Wrong side stripe placement. HA! Sorry, had to say it.
#3196 was up for auction a while back. I wonder if they mentioned its past sound work in this movie of the listing...(probably not).

What was the cardboard triangle taped over the side of the car used for?
(Maybe protecting the microphone from wind noise and water from the wet road surface?)

Thanks Kieth for scanning and writing up the details!
 Chug a Lug

Shelby_0022

Email
« Reply #871 on: September 28, 2017, 10:46:23 AM »

Completely awesome!!! Thanks Kieth!  Chug a Lug

1967 GT350 - 0022
1968 GT350 Convertible - 02778
shlby66

Email
« Reply #872 on: September 28, 2017, 11:26:22 AM »

Love, those side exiting, exhaust pipes!  Chug a Lug

Don Johnston

Email
« Reply #873 on: September 28, 2017, 11:56:16 AM »

Oh, great, now there will the parking lot show "experts" that will tell all the 67 GT500 owners that their cars came with side exhaust from the factory! HeadSpin

car 26-JD

« Reply #874 on: September 28, 2017, 12:12:15 PM »

Thanks for sharing these fantastic "behind the scenes" photos & story George! Great work on the improved sound of Eleanor and all the other details!
It's neat to see Willow Springs was involved yet again with a Shelby.

Thanks Kieth for scanning and writing up the details!
 Chug a Lug

YES - Thanks George & Kieth

SAAC Member

« Reply #875 on: September 28, 2017, 12:13:26 PM »

Love, those side exiting, exhaust pipes!  Chug a Lug

+1

tesgt350

Email
« Reply #876 on: September 28, 2017, 01:19:44 PM »

It's ironic that the Eleanor subject is currently being discussed in the Replicas and Tribute Board, as George had recently sent me some photos of the actual 67 GT 500 (#3196) that he used & drove to record all the sounds for the movie. It's all in the timing!

Here's his story and some photos of the car:

"After reading the discussion on the Forum today regarding the Gone in 60 Seconds Eleanor’s, I figured I would take a look for the pictures I took of the REAL 67’ GT 500 #3196 that we used to record all the Eleanor sounds in the entire movie. There was a wonderful article written many years ago in The Shelby American by Rick Kopec, telling the story of the sound in the movie, so I will make this short and try not to repeat too much.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             
I was the Supervising Sound Editor on the movie, which means that I was responsible for all of its sound. Basically EVERY sound in the movie was replaced 100%, with the exception of the dialogue. The sound of EVERY vehicle was replaced and not one bit in the final movie is original.                                                                                                                                                                                 

To jump ahead, I took a recordist with me to Cinema Vehicles (the company that built the Eleanor's) in search of a car that would be the sound of Eleanor for the entire movie. I drove a few of the real Eleanor’s (the very few that were not wrecked) but they were very unsafe and were really beat. I ended up finding a real GT 500 (3196) in their warehouse and  took it for a drive and we recorded it but after I got back to the studio and listened to our tests I knew it needed to be a lot stronger sounding. I called Cinema Vehicles and asked if they could change the exhaust for me to 1965 GT 350 type with glass packs and side exhaust. They did, and a week later I went back and started it up, took a test drive and knew right off the bat we now had the sound of Eleanor for the movie. It was day and night stronger sounding than the stock exhaust.

Walt Disney Studios rented Willow Springs for 2 weeks so we could record off of any public streets.  Every bit of sound for all vehicles was recorded there with the exception of the Ferraris. I made extensive diagrams and notes for every vehicle maneuver basically being able to match all of their moves. I did all the driving with the exception of the Ferraris which we recorded at another location. We spent 2 full days with 3196 and recorded hours and hours of material, even smaller type sounds like the shifter, doors, trunk and hood open and closes. We always recorded way more than needed just in case a shot would be changed. With the costs to rent the track, enclosed truck to get the car to the track and a mechanic, there was no way we could ask the Studio for another day so it was always best to get everything even if it was not a shot that was in the movie. So while Eleanor is not a real GT 500, every bit of its sound is! By the way 3196 does make an appearance at the end of the movie.     

On my first trip to Cinema Vehicles I took a few pictures of some of the various Eleanor’s that had been built and used in the movie. I don’t remember showing any of the pictures before so we are going to post them in the next couple of days so everyone can get a behind the scenes look at the cars after filming."

What are the odds of us Shelby Club members having the opportunity to see these behind-the-scenes photos and learning these details?

Thanks George!
Kieth  

What is that Sticker on the Dash above the Radio?

66S285

Email
« Reply #877 on: September 28, 2017, 01:29:06 PM »

should be worn in connection with the shoulder harness.  Can't make out the first couple of words.  

Rick
SFM6 S285
68KR #2375
07 GT500
NOLA Motorsports Park Member
car 26-JD

« Reply #878 on: September 28, 2017, 01:29:08 PM »

What is that Sticker on the Dash above the Radio?

Looks like one of the "Seat Belt Shoulder Belt" stickers that goes on the sun visors...

* SeatBeltStickerB.jpg (5.25 KB, 204x88 - viewed 41 times.)
SFM66H

The Sales Office at LAX in 1966

Email
« Reply #879 on: October 04, 2017, 08:34:58 AM »

Here's the story of the wrecked Eleanor cars from George:

"After reading the discussions of the seven figure Eleanor’s on the Forum last week, I figured it was time to get out my original pictures for everyone to see. I took all of these on my first trip to Cinema Vehicles in late 1999 when I was searching for a car to use for the sound of Eleanor (as I discussed last week when we posted pictures of the 67 GT 500 that would become that sound). I have not looked at these in years and as you can see this is what the cars looked like after their use in the movie. When I saw them in person they were just very used, really beat, extremely dirty movie prop cars and that was it. I did get a chance to look at one of the “Beauty” Eleanor’s parked inside but unfortunately did not take any pictures, but I can tell you the car was stunning. It had the full interior that we see in the movie, along with the powerful engine and beautiful paint. By the way, this car was used for close ups and interior shots but not for the speed scenes. You could say that this car Had It All!! It was also used in all of the promotional pictures that we all have seen thru the years especially the ones with Nick standing next to it.

Getting back to my story, the rest of the cars that you see in the pictures below I must say disappointed me when I saw them. I did not know at that time that in a hour or so I would end up finding a real 67 GT 500 on the premises and that car would become the sound of Eleanor. I remember that 11 Eleanor’s were built and an additional one was completed after the movie came out. I probably saw 7 or 8 in the yard that day and ended up test driving the two best condition ones on city streets, but right off the bat I knew they were not safe and would not work at all. Everything was bad including the brakes, steering, shocks, ride, rattles, squeaks, the smell of gasoline etc. etc. etc., and on top of that they DID NOT SOUND GOOD!

Each of the 11 cars served a specific purpose during filming. We know that the “Beauty” cars were used for exterior close ups, interior driving and dash board shots and promotion, but in addition there were cars fitted with new stronger engines for the high speed driving scenes such as the ones filmed in the LA River bed. There was also the cars used for the crash scenes and as you can see in a couple of my pictures they were basically destroyed. When I looked in the interiors of the non “beauty“ cars, other than the roll bar and steering wheel, they were stock and had nothing else that would tell you that they were Eleanor's. When you look at the movie there is absolutely no way you would know that you are seeing 11 different cars.     

It's really something now to look back after all these years and realize that, at the time, they were as I said earlier, just used movie prop cars, but now they are worth a fortune. I would have never thought this would happen. I am just glad that we were lucky enough to find and be able to record a REAL 1967 GT 500 (#3196) and Eleanor will always be the sound of that car."

1966 GT 350H owner since June 30, 1976
tesgt350

Email
« Reply #880 on: October 04, 2017, 11:46:47 AM »

I would love to have those Cars, put the removed Parts back on them and then mount them on Trailers and take them on Tour to major Car Shows.

MyShelbyDream
SAAC Member

Email
« Reply #881 on: October 04, 2017, 12:49:05 PM »

Kieth,

You never fail to entertain us with George stories and pics.  Thank you so much for sharing.  How cool is it that we know what Shelby made the Elenanor sound in the original movie?

Brian Glover
SAAC North Carolina's Representative

06 GT

« Reply #882 on: October 04, 2017, 03:26:54 PM »

Every bit of sound for all vehicles was recorded there with the exception of the Ferraris. I made extensive diagrams and notes for every vehicle maneuver basically being able to match all of their moves. I did all the driving with the exception of the Ferraris which we recorded at another location. We spent 2 full days with 3196 and recorded hours and hours of material, even smaller type sounds like the shifter, doors, trunk and hood open and closes. We always recorded way more than needed just in case a shot would be changed.
Details like this are why Oscar (2 wins several other nominations) resides on Georges mantel.

Don Johnston

Email
« Reply #883 on: October 04, 2017, 08:00:03 PM »

This is great material with photos for a national auto magazine article.

car 26-JD

« Reply #884 on: October 04, 2017, 09:18:02 PM »

Amazing what goes into making these movies.  Thanks George and Kieth.

Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!