The Official SAAC Forum
November 20, 2017, 12:44:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GEORGE WATTERS COLLECTION  (Read 188679 times)
SFM66H

The Sales Office at LAX in 1966

Email
« Reply #855 on: June 23, 2017, 03:07:30 AM »

Check out this new (to me) LAX photo. I just found it at SAAC 42 in Indy and couldn't grab it fast enough. Finding a photo you've never seen before in person is even more exciting than finding one on the internet! I'm posting it in this thread because our love of LAX photos is what first brought George Watters and I together a few years ago. The literature vendor didn't know anything about it and there was nothing on the back of it, so I'm really in the dark about this one. I don't know who the man with Shelby is, but I'm hoping that somebody here might know.

George and I discussed this photo and he points out that the men are standing behind the East Hangar (street car production) and that the West Hangar (competition cars) can be seen in the background. What struck me right away is that this is a rare view of the back of the race car hangar. You can see the loading ramp on the left side of the hangar. That loading ramp has been seen in other photos taken from the front, but this is a good view of it from the back. We also agreed that it looks like it was taken in the early days of Shelby American moving into LAX, because of the very few cars that are lined up so far. We talked about the fact that most of the well known LAX photos that we know of always show multiple rows of GT 350's, but in this photo there's instead a couple of Cobras behind a row of only about maybe 10 GT 350's.

We see that it's a 289 Cobra that they're standing by, and I also noticed a front license plate on the nearest GT 350. I wonder if it's a company car? This photo is downsized here to fit the forum restrictions, but I have it in a 2026 x 1320 size if anyone wants it. In the larger size I have, it appears that the first and the third GT 350 may have top stripes, as the sides of their hood scoops appear dark.

I really felt fortunate to stumble upon this great photo by accident, and will be very interested to see if the members here can help us learn more about it.

Thanks,
Kieth

1966 GT 350H owner since June 30, 1976
SFM6S087

Email
« Reply #856 on: June 23, 2017, 05:30:27 AM »

TOO COOL!

The first GT350 does have top stripes. Look at the sheet metal between the top of the bumper and grille. It definitely has stripes on it.

And I agree that the third GT350 looks like it has stripes because of the darkness of the hood scoop. But the proof is not as conclusive.

Great find! Thanks for sharing.

Steve

richstang

« Reply #857 on: June 23, 2017, 07:22:33 AM »

What a fantastic photo find Kieth!

That is a small number of GT350s in that single row and they all appear to be completed. I have to wonder if they were just brought over from Venice and parked in the LAX lot.
Does anyone know the date in May when they moved in? We know the open house was in the first week of June. The lot was loaded with rows of GT350s then.

I noticed the cinder block wall that extended off the race shop hanger on the far west side is not there yet. Nice early photo.

Thanks for sharing with us!

camp upshur

« Reply #858 on: June 23, 2017, 08:34:07 AM »

Wow, thank you very much for sharing this.
Mustang shipments seemed to stop 12/30/64~ and then resume, 3/19/65~.
Can your photos discern if the license plate a CA MFR plate or a numbered plate?

MyShelbyDream
SAAC Member

Email
« Reply #859 on: June 23, 2017, 08:55:23 AM »

I'm pretty sure the gentleman shaking hands with 'Ol Shel is just his bookie. Grin

Brian Glover
SAAC North Carolina's Representative

06 GT

« Reply #860 on: June 23, 2017, 10:58:50 AM »

I'm pretty sure the gentleman shaking hands with 'Ol Shel is just his bookie. Grin
Or the real estate agent thinking he just snookered some chicken farmer into signing a lease on two empty hangers to store some cars.

SFM66H

Email
« Reply #861 on: June 23, 2017, 03:33:24 PM »

The first GT350 does have top stripes. Look at the sheet metal between the top of the bumper and grille. It definitely has stripes on it.

And I agree that the third GT350 looks like it has stripes because of the darkness of the hood scoop. But the proof is not as conclusive.

Steve - Good Eye! I agree with your observations.

Thanks for helping,
Kieth

SFM66H

Email
« Reply #862 on: June 23, 2017, 03:36:33 PM »

I have to wonder if they were just brought over from Venice and parked in the LAX lot.

Rich - This is the coolest thought yet, I'm going to believe it in my mind.

Thanks!
Kieth

SFM66H

Email
« Reply #863 on: June 23, 2017, 03:43:25 PM »

Can your photos discern if the license plate a CA MFR plate or a numbered plate?

It's only this one photo that I have, and that area isn't too clear on it. I can see what appears to be a single character on the left, a large space, and then another single character on the right. I don't know what kind of plate that might be??

I may try a higher res scan of just that area and see if I can make out any more.

Kieth

Michael M

Email
« Reply #864 on: June 23, 2017, 09:38:52 PM »

Could that possibly be Zora Arkus-Duntov?

SAAC Member

« Reply #865 on: June 24, 2017, 12:08:20 AM »

Could that possibly be Zora Arkus-Duntov?

Good guess, I can't tell. I found a picture of the two of them, you can make the decision.

They are both leaner here;

« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 12:10:31 AM by 2112 » Logged
SFM6S087

Email
« Reply #866 on: June 24, 2017, 11:04:53 AM »

My first thought was that the fellow on the right was a Ford executive. Seems like I may have seen him in some other period pictures. But that's really just a first impression guess.

Steve

car 26-JD

« Reply #867 on: June 25, 2017, 06:46:45 AM »

^^^^^  Maybe he's with the airport, Chuck Cantwell's new book says that there were some issues that had to get worked out once certain people found out the new tenant was not in the aircraft industry - just a thought.

Edit: (chapter 6, the first three pages lists some of the people involved in the leasing and issue)

« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 09:39:45 AM by car 26-JD » Logged
gt350hr

« Reply #868 on: June 26, 2017, 07:28:10 AM »

Not Zora, too short is one of several reasons.

owner 6S477 HERTZ White w/Blue stripes-1of18-since 1974. OVER 3,500 drag strip runs made in it since then. My candidate for the "worlds Most drag raced Shelby" More added all the time.
SFM66H

Email
« Reply #869 on: September 28, 2017, 09:47:10 AM »

It's ironic that the Eleanor subject is currently being discussed in the Replicas and Tribute Board, as George had recently sent me some photos of the actual 67 GT 500 (#3196) that he used & drove to record all the sounds for the movie. It's all in the timing!

Here's his story and some photos of the car:

"After reading the discussion on the Forum today regarding the Gone in 60 Seconds Eleanorís, I figured I would take a look for the pictures I took of the REAL 67í GT 500 #3196 that we used to record all the Eleanor sounds in the entire movie. There was a wonderful article written many years ago in The Shelby American by Rick Kopec, telling the story of the sound in the movie, so I will make this short and try not to repeat too much.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             
I was the Supervising Sound Editor on the movie, which means that I was responsible for all of its sound. Basically EVERY sound in the movie was replaced 100%, with the exception of the dialogue. The sound of EVERY vehicle was replaced and not one bit in the final movie is original.                                                                                                                                                                                 

To jump ahead, I took a recordist with me to Cinema Vehicles (the company that built the Eleanor's) in search of a car that would be the sound of Eleanor for the entire movie. I drove a few of the real Eleanorís (the very few that were not wrecked) but they were very unsafe and were really beat. I ended up finding a real GT 500 (3196) in their warehouse and  took it for a drive and we recorded it but after I got back to the studio and listened to our tests I knew it needed to be a lot stronger sounding. I called Cinema Vehicles and asked if they could change the exhaust for me to 1965 GT 350 type with glass packs and side exhaust. They did, and a week later I went back and started it up, took a test drive and knew right off the bat we now had the sound of Eleanor for the movie. It was day and night stronger sounding than the stock exhaust.

Walt Disney Studios rented Willow Springs for 2 weeks so we could record off of any public streets.  Every bit of sound for all vehicles was recorded there with the exception of the Ferraris. I made extensive diagrams and notes for every vehicle maneuver basically being able to match all of their moves. I did all the driving with the exception of the Ferraris which we recorded at another location. We spent 2 full days with 3196 and recorded hours and hours of material, even smaller type sounds like the shifter, doors, trunk and hood open and closes. We always recorded way more than needed just in case a shot would be changed. With the costs to rent the track, enclosed truck to get the car to the track and a mechanic, there was no way we could ask the Studio for another day so it was always best to get everything even if it was not a shot that was in the movie. So while Eleanor is not a real GT 500, every bit of its sound is! By the way 3196 does make an appearance at the end of the movie.     

On my first trip to Cinema Vehicles I took a few pictures of some of the various Eleanorís that had been built and used in the movie. I donít remember showing any of the pictures before so we are going to post them in the next couple of days so everyone can get a behind the scenes look at the cars after filming."

What are the odds of us Shelby Club members having the opportunity to see these behind-the-scenes photos and learning these details?

Thanks George!
Kieth  

Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!