The Official SAAC Forum
December 14, 2017, 02:02:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 60   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GEORGE WATTERS COLLECTION  (Read 191599 times)
SFM66H

The Sales Office at LAX in 1966

Email
« on: April 21, 2014, 09:58:49 AM »

I now know that George Watters is known by SAAC HQ, but I'm not sure how many of us here in the Forum know who he is.
To be honest, I only recently 'met' him when he "pm'd" me thru the Forum - he had noticed some comments I had posted about how much I liked some LAX and Hi-Performance Motors photos.
He said that he had some photos that I likely had never seen before, and that he would email some to me if I wanted them & to provide my email address to him if I wanted them.
DID I WANT THEM? - well I was just floored by his kind and generous offer - I had never experienced anything like that before, and I thanked him for the offer & provided my email address.
What he sent me just blew me away because of how thrilling it was for me to see original Shelby American photos that I had never seen before, it's like re-living the excitement from the '70's when SAAC first started out and began publishing photos from the '60's that we hadn't seen before.

So we began email correspondence and learned that we are both really into these SA photos. One thing led to another, and he offered to actually send me some of his photos so I could scan them for my files - WHO DOES THAT?? - George Watters did that. When I saw them, I thought right away about the Forum - where else would photos like these be more appreciated and correctly preserved for posterity? I approached him about that and he was in agreement to share some of them here with us all. I thought about the best way to do that, and I hoped that keeping them all together in the same thread is the best idea. Even though they are of different types of cars and subject matter, I thought that keeping them together in the SHELBY AMERICAN HISTORY catagory would make them easier to find when you were looking for the latest addition. If they would be split up into their respective catagories, I thought they would be harder to look for once they rotated out of the main Forum 'new' screen.

So with that, and with George's knowledge and permission, I'm posting the first photo from what we're calling the 'George Watters Collection'.
Check the SHELBY AMERICAN HISTORY catagory & the GEORGE WATTERS COLLECTION thread when you want to see if there's anything new, as they'll be posted there as time permits.
Thank you George, for your kindness and generosity - we all thank you!

Kieth Champine

« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 11:46:34 PM by SFM66H » Logged

1966 GT 350H owner since June 30, 1976
SFM66H

Email
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 10:05:57 AM »

Here's one that George said is one of his favorites - "A '66 Carryover Car at Riverside".

I love the purity and simplicity of this no LeMans stripe, MFR plate car.

vernonestes

Email
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 10:17:51 AM »

George is certainly a class act  Chug a Lug

Kiwi
Checkered Flag

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 01:07:04 PM »

So, the most obvious question is yet to be answered who is George Watters?

Was he an official photographer for Shelby American, an automotive magazine journalist of the time, just a car enthusiast who regularly attended events/races, or what?

gt350hr

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 01:21:51 PM »

kiwi,
      George is a long time enthusiast and multi Shelby owner. Some of his past cars include a perfect ( IMHO at least) R Model restoratnion , 5R528 as I remember. 40+ years ago many ex employees were still alive and receptive to enthusiastic "kids" that were enjoying the cars they built. George did alot of research over the years he spent reastoring the R model and I'm sure he ran into lots of interesting things while doing it. These were days before the internet so items/finds like this tended to remain unknown. I too have some obscure things from wayyyy back then.
      Randy

owner 6S477 HERTZ White w/Blue stripes-1of18-since 1974. OVER 3,500 drag strip runs made in it since then. My candidate for the "worlds Most drag raced Shelby" More added all the time.
shlby66

Email
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 01:47:50 PM »

George is certainly a class act  Chug a Lug

+ 1 That is certainly true.

George Watters, had 5R528, at 100 Point Restorations, in Manasquan, New Jersey in the early 80's for restoration work
      by Chris Liebenberg ( currently the Curator for 3 Dog Garage in PA. ). There were 2 other R-Models, besides 5R528 there
      at the same time. I enjoyed the opportunity to wrench on all of them at various times. Smiley

gt350hr

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 01:53:59 PM »

That was back when "diamond tread" Goodyear race tires were still around.
 It's hard to beat period ( non staged) photos like the carryover at Riverside. No fluff , real "used" company car by the plate.

owner 6S477 HERTZ White w/Blue stripes-1of18-since 1974. OVER 3,500 drag strip runs made in it since then. My candidate for the "worlds Most drag raced Shelby" More added all the time.
vernonestes

Email
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 03:10:01 PM »

I love the purity and simplicity of this no LeMans stripe, MFR plate car.

Gotta love those MFG plates...the DLR plates are cool too I guess  Camera

06 GT

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 04:16:39 PM »

George is a Hollywood sound guy who won the oscar for sound editing in Hunt for Red October.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099810/awards

Pmustang

Email
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2014, 10:37:40 PM »

What a photo!

Thanks for sharing

Peter

SFM66H

Email
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 09:39:50 AM »

Here is Jerry Titus in 5R002 at Pomona on March 6, 1965.
This photo was given to George around 30 years ago by a guy he knew that was an amateur photographer and a Shelby fan.
He doesn't think he gave it to anyone else either, so it is a very rare photo.

I really like the HI-PERFORMANCE MOTORS lettering with it's first address.
This photo is so appropriate to be seen right now, with 5R002 being currently on tour.

5S003

Email
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2014, 09:46:02 AM »

Those were the days, you could leave the passenger side window rolled down and just walk away , maybe it was going to be hot that day? Looks like a tee shirt or windbreaker over the passenger seat. Can't tell if there is a rear seat or shelf? Is it too difficult to blow up the paper on the front windshield , almost looks like the Riverside layout? The other car next to the GT350 doesn't seem to have one. Wonder if the guy in the background is going to steal the factory license plate frame, hopefully his wife will stop him.
If in fact it is a carry over car, anyone want to dig into the Registry for the first 252 cars and see which ones were company cars with Cragars and no LeMans stripes.......just a thought, wonder if we could figure out whose car this was?

Best,
Mark

Brant

www.VAMustang.com

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2014, 10:30:25 AM »

If in fact it is a carry over car, anyone want to dig into the Registry for the first 252 cars and see which ones were company cars with Cragars and no LeMans stripes.......just a thought, wonder if we could figure out whose car this was?

Best,
Mark

Steve (6S087) has probably already done that.  Smiley

-Brant

www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com

Click here to subscribe to our Blog for the latest updates restoration projects and new parts information!
5S003

Email
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2014, 11:13:41 AM »

Yes, I would think so ...... Popcorn

5S003

Email
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2014, 11:20:30 AM »

Yes, if memory serves me which is probably not the case, Pomona was 002's second race, first one with Titus.  Here you can see the rear tie down for the car which makes sense to have . Also we can go back and see if in the Green Valley shots if the green tech inspection sticker was present on the roll bar or if this was the sticker for Pomona. Guess Titus did not need a exterior rear view mirror , pretty sure he finished in 1 st place at Pomona, one of many.     

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 60   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!