The Official SAAC Forum
December 11, 2017, 12:50:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 60   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GEORGE WATTERS COLLECTION  (Read 190995 times)
gt350hr

« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2014, 07:21:48 AM »

Wedgeman ,
        Yes I have seen a similar photo of the SAI truck with Hertz cars on it. I can't remember where , but I have seen one.
        Randy

owner 6S477 HERTZ White w/Blue stripes-1of18-since 1974. OVER 3,500 drag strip runs made in it since then. My candidate for the "worlds Most drag raced Shelby" More added all the time.
427heaven

« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2014, 07:26:03 AM »

Why would Jerry sign the door?

Coralsnake

www.thecoralsnake.com

WWW Email
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2014, 08:39:45 AM »

I think the High Performance Motors building was literally blocks away from the airport.

Shelby Car Enthusiast, Shelby Researcher, theCoralsnake.com Webmaster and the official Conelec Public Relations Officer.
gt350hr

« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2014, 08:48:21 AM »

427 heaven,
         that was how he "rolled". Signed his name on the door.

Pete ,
      You're right , about one mile away! There were other local dealers as well.
    Randy

« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 12:56:14 PM by gt350hr » Logged

owner 6S477 HERTZ White w/Blue stripes-1of18-since 1974. OVER 3,500 drag strip runs made in it since then. My candidate for the "worlds Most drag raced Shelby" More added all the time.
SFM66H

The Sales Office at LAX in 1966

Email
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2014, 09:08:50 AM »

Here are George's own words with the story of this great photo:

"A friend of mine took this great candid picture of Ken Miles arriving to work at the 6501 Imperial Hwy. Factory in 1965. As you can see, it is a '65 GT 350 with no top stripes. It brings back many memories for me. In 1965 my High School class took a tour of the Factory. The highlight was that when we were parking our cars in the front lot, who walks by but Ken Miles himself. We said Hi and he said the same. I can still remember that he was wearing a short sleeve white shirt and a thin black tie just like in the picture. We got a great tour thru the entire Factory including the Race Shop and the Street Car assembly line. I remember in the Race Shop they showed us a Daytona Coupe, Ford GT, Comp Cobra and a Race Version GT 350. We also walked out back and saw all the cars lined up in front of the Blast Wall. Along the tour we were able to ask our guide many questions. When we were done, he took us to the small office building in front and when we walked in, there was a table loaded with all sorts of literature!! He told us to take what we wanted. I took one of everything, and to this day I still have it all. They will always be special, knowing they came from the source!! Even though it has been almost 50 years since that most exciting day, it remains so vivid in my mind. Whenever I am down by LAX I still drive by the old Factory and when I am flying out I always sit on the left side of the plane so I can look down when we take off and see Shelby American!!"

1966 GT 350H owner since June 30, 1976
gt350hr

« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2014, 09:24:25 AM »

Another awesome shot! No side mirror OR Cragars. Very cool.
      Randy

SFM66H

Email
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2014, 09:34:59 AM »

I think the High Performance Motors building was literally blocks away from the airport.

George Watters is the HI-PERFORMANCE MOTORS Expert as he is from the area and has been to both locations many times.

An important clarification to be made here is that HPM's first location at 1150 S. La Brea was approximately 10 miles away from LAX, just south of Hollywood.
And it's second location at 901 N. Sepulveda was in fact blocks away from LAX.

I'm currently learning how to capture Google Earth satellite images, and with George's help in pinpointing the HPM locations, these could be posted here as well.
I share George's fascination with all things HPM, and am very anxious to finally learn their locations myself!

SFM66H

Email
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2014, 09:40:57 AM »

Yes I have seen a similar photo of the SAI truck with Hertz cars on it. I can't remember where , but I have seen one.
        Randy

Randy - I had never even heard of the Hertz cars on the SAI truck photo, but sure would like to see it!
            I hope somebody here might remember where it was seen and post it, or point us in a direction to look for it.

acman63
SAAC Concours Chairman

Email
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2014, 09:50:20 AM »

Ive seen it somewhere as well.   Does anyone know how far the Shelby trucks delivered cars. Were they used within a specific range or nationwide?

vernonestes

Email
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2014, 10:14:03 AM »

Ive seen it somewhere as well.   Does anyone know how far the Shelby trucks delivered cars. Were they used within a specific range or nationwide?

Ive seen pictures of the Cobra Caravan delivering cars on the East coast. THey would stick a car on the Caravan truck if it was cost effective to do so if they had someone who bought a car in the location that the truck was going to. For some reason I want to say that the Shelby trucks went nationwide but dont hold me to that.

Best regards,
Vern

gt350hr

« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2014, 01:00:04 PM »

Jim,
       I'll ask Bernie K , he should remember. My recollection was only the western states that were within a days travel , but I could be wrong.
     Randy

Bob Gaines

« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2014, 01:24:55 PM »

Here are George's own words with the story of this great photo:

"A friend of mine took this great candid picture of Ken Miles arriving to work at the 6501 Imperial Hwy. Factory in 1965. As you can see, it is a '65 GT 350 with no top stripes. It brings back many memories for me. In 1965 my High School class took a tour of the Factory. The highlight was that when we were parking our cars in the front lot, who walks by but Ken Miles himself. We said Hi and he said the same. I can still remember that he was wearing a short sleeve white shirt and a thin black tie just like in the picture. We got a great tour thru the entire Factory including the Race Shop and the Street Car assembly line. I remember in the Race Shop they showed us a Daytona Coupe, Ford GT, Comp Cobra and a Race Version GT 350. We also walked out back and saw all the cars lined up in front of the Blast Wall. Along the tour we were able to ask our guide many questions. When we were done, he took us to the small office building in front and when we walked in, there was a table loaded with all sorts of literature!! He told us to take what we wanted. I took one of everything, and to this day I still have it all. They will always be special, knowing they came from the source!! Even though it has been almost 50 years since that most exciting day, it remains so vivid in my mind. Whenever I am down by LAX I still drive by the old Factory and when I am flying out I always sit on the left side of the plane so I can look down when we take off and see Shelby American!!"

Picture and words made my day. Grin

Shelby Car Enthusiast, Collector, Shelby Concours Judge
Coralsnake

www.thecoralsnake.com

WWW Email
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2014, 01:33:40 PM »

+1

Best part of our hobby is when these things come up and people share them without any expectations attached.

Shelby Car Enthusiast, Shelby Researcher, theCoralsnake.com Webmaster and the official Conelec Public Relations Officer.
car 26-JD

« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2014, 01:48:05 PM »

+1
Best part of our hobby is when these things come up and people share them without any expectations attached.

Picture and words made my day. Grin

Yes!

camp upshur

« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2014, 03:08:12 PM »

Although probably a pool car, it would be most interesting if Ken Miles had a particular 1965 GT-350 assigned to him as a company car.

In today's wacky collector world , it'd probably double the car's value!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 60   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!