News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

68 shelby tach

Started by 1968shelbygt350h, August 13, 2018, 09:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1968shelbygt350h

anybody use gary the tachman to restore a tach

68stangcjfb

Yes. Sent him a 6000 RPM tach and an 8000 RPM tach. Both work perfectly. You can also use a really thin wire for the signal wire to the coil so it can be hidden.
68 1/2 CJ Mustang GT FB auto 3.91s 68 1/2 CJ Torino GT FB 3.91s 60 Thunderbird 64 Falcon Sprint conv. 4Spd 65 Falcon Sedan Delivery 67 Fairlane 500 SW 428 4Spd, 68 Torino 4dr 95 Thunderbird SC. 89 F250 Supercab 2wd, 98 Mustang conv. 99 Jeep Cherokee 2002 Thunderbird. 96 Harley FLSTN Heritage Special

1968shelbygt350h

first time he got the tach a few months ago charged 450 for a used unit and was very arrogant now tach kept getting stuck at 5 rpm sent back for warranty and claims fed ex must have mishandled box and bent tach and claims its not fixable just put a claim I wont use him anymore what a coincidence from his pics box is not bent would not recommend him now I have to find one >:(

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 1968shelbygt350h on August 13, 2018, 10:20:44 PM
first time he got the tach a few months ago charged 450 for a used unit and was very arrogant now tach kept getting stuck at 5 rpm sent back for warranty and claims fed ex must have mishandled box and bent tach and claims its not fixable just put a claim I wont use him anymore what a coincidence from his pics box is not bent would not recommend him now I have to find one >:(
I think one of the 67 guys 1967 eight barrel had a similar bad experience with Tach man  a few months back that he was writing about on the Concours Mustang Forum. http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=17674.msg111558#msg111558
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

1968shelbygt350h

clearly in pics you can see a perfect bend done by hand and in his pic box is still intact and first thing out of his mouth is file a claim also on his web page he claims his the only legit guy with knowledge to fix these tachs which I found out is not true .I am going to get in touch with kens mustangs they restore cluster and seem much more legit meanwhile I think gary the tachman should be known on social media

6S1568

Try Phil Severance at this web site:

He restored one for my "67" and it's flawless.

https://www.phidonrestorations.com/contact.php 

Rbwiii

I called and talked Tachman to restore my tachs, he really bored me..

Called Phill Severance and will never use anybody else...great work!!

1967 eight barrel

DO NOT USE THE TACHMAN!  Not only did they not repair the unit, they don't silkscreen the faces as they claim and the face was not riveted on but screwed which caused the movement to stick at 2200 RPM. He refused to make the repair right he charged me 350.00 for and denigrated my service to this nation at the same time.
It doesn't take long to find plenty of stories about his business and treatment of patrons.
Here is where you want to send your tach. Phil is courteous, professional and still has parts. He won't try and force you to replace your movement with a new one.I can't say enough about his work and professionalism.
https://www.phidonrestorations.com/contact.php

-Keith

Coralsnake

May I ask how he denigrated your service?

1967 eight barrel

If you're interested, I'd be glad to talk to you outside the forum.  Somehow fueling aircraft in the Chairforce trumps a combat paratrooper in his estimate.

Coralsnake

I would rather not get into the intra-service rivalry stuff, but thanks for the clarification

1967 eight barrel

It wasn't an inter-service rivalry at all, but when I served and it's lack of equivalence his six months time FOB in VN. Grenada, Honduras and the jump into Panama on 20 Dec 89 just doesn't get it done for him.  He was quite arrogant and rude when we spoke. I could care less about the inter-service commentary when it is done in fun.

68stangcjfb

It looks like I was the only one on the whole forum that didn't have a problem with Tachman. I didn't have the tach faces redone on the ones I sent him so I can't comment on that aspect of his work but I did have them 3 wire converted because they were both burned out. The 8 grand one that was in my car made my engine die and filled my car with smoke. Like I said before, I installed them in the two cars and had no issues with them. And no. I'm not related to him in any way.
68 1/2 CJ Mustang GT FB auto 3.91s 68 1/2 CJ Torino GT FB 3.91s 60 Thunderbird 64 Falcon Sprint conv. 4Spd 65 Falcon Sedan Delivery 67 Fairlane 500 SW 428 4Spd, 68 Torino 4dr 95 Thunderbird SC. 89 F250 Supercab 2wd, 98 Mustang conv. 99 Jeep Cherokee 2002 Thunderbird. 96 Harley FLSTN Heritage Special

1967 eight barrel

You did what Gary pushes most to. Covert from factory. Phil has the parts to repair the Ford tachs that Gary doesn't.  He sources the movements from Phil and Bob.  If you have a warranty issue, you'll find out quick enough.  There is no need to, even with a Pertronix, which I have as well.

-Keith

pmustang

Phild your man. Lovely attitude, wants to help

Had 2 units converted to 8k and 140mph and also some gauges worked on from a Challenger