News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Painted magnum variations

Started by davez, March 23, 2024, 09:34:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davez

In restoring my 66 1127 I thought I'd share some info on some variations of wheels I have. If others have more info please share.
First are some pics of wheels ink stamped 36047 which I believe was the number for the 66 painted magnum. 14 inch
The only other marks are on the back side of the wheel on the center section a large 3 and D with a 3 in the center. There are no other markings anywhere. I have more than one of these all identical. The backspace is 3.5 inches
The paint which I believe is original around the rim where the stamp is is a matte / flat battleship grey.
Underneath the grey is a red primer.

davez

The other version I have has no ink stamp but many other markings
On the outside of the rim by the valve stem
M4 over 3 , 6 9 and a ford oval to the right of the valve stem
on the backside of the rim 92 and H with a small 3 underneath
on the inside of the rim itself
F 14x6 JK 1 V
795 M4 over 3 Made in USA and I think a backwards D
Backspacing is 3 and 5/16
The paint is a satin almost semigloss grey that has a yellow/green hue to it.
I have more than one of these all the same

davez

here is a better picture of the inner rim 795 wheel showing the gloss to the paint
When I blasted these there does not appear to be any primer underneath

davez

Here is a side by side comparison between the 39047 and 795
I'm restoring the 795 set and will share the paint I used and details

davez

I saved these at a bigger size to see better

Bob Gaines

Quote from: davez on March 23, 2024, 09:45:29 PM
The other version I have has no ink stamp but many other markings
On the outside of the rim by the valve stem
M4 over 3 , 6 9 and a ford oval to the right of the valve stem
on the backside of the rim 92 and H with a small 3 underneath
on the inside of the rim itself
F 14x6 JK 1 V
795 M4 over 3 Made in USA and I think a backwards D
Backspacing is 3 and 5/16
The paint is a satin almost semigloss grey that has a yellow/green hue to it.
I have more than one of these all the same
Regardless of color the picture in reply#1 does not look like the proper front side rim profile for a 66 GT350.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

davez

Bob Gaines

Quote from: davez on March 23, 2024, 10:56:14 PM
Might be a camera angle thing
It still looks different. At least to me . I only had a original Hertz wheel to use as a comparison . For those reading the chrome hertz wheel and the painted wheel were the same rim just one was chrome for the Hertz GT350 and the other painted for the non Hertz GT350.It is hard to distinguish details because of the shiny chrome so I used a razor blade I had handy to show width.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

davez

the old paint one marked 36047 has the backspacing of 3.5" meaning the center section was welded slightly more towards the outboard edge of the rim so the razor blade does not go as deep in the channel. The clean rim 795 sits at the same depth as yours with a backspacing of 3 5/16. From other threads these are both correct markings (part numbers) for the rims as well as backspacing within acceptable variances.

davez

I was also using this to backup what you had said in this former thread about the paint being semi gloss.
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1557.msg13189#msg13189
Many have seen the wheels in a flat finish you had mentioned a semi gloss finish. I think I have examples of both. Probably produced at different periods of time.
And 2 different shades of grey