Author Topic: Silicone Brake Fluid Questions  (Read 6136 times)

morsel

• View Profile
Re: Silicone Brake Fluid Questions
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2018, 04:17:02 PM »
I just literally switch to Dot 5 from Dot 3 fluid, I really don't notice much of a difference at all if any. The big thing as mentioned above is flush that entire system well. I first drained it and then I vacuum sucked Isopropyl Alcohol through all the lines at the bleeder screws several times, and opened up the calipers and cleaned them thoroughly as well. I also blew compressed air through the open lines to remove as much of the alcohol as possible before letting it dry. Then I disconnected every line and fitting and left them and the master cylinder open for 24 hours to thoroughly dry out. Next added dot 5 fluid and bled the brakes as normal. Oh and don't forget to bench bleed the master cylinder as well, this really help with air bubbles and getting the system pumping well from the beginning, because you want zero air bubbles coming through your lines, most people that I've heard that have complained about a soft pedal later have come back and realized they didn't bench bleed there master cylinder as part of this process and had some air bubbles in lines that they didn't realize was there.

Anyway, as I mentioned, mine feel great and really firm on my fully stock setup, didn't notice any difference really.

Jason
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 04:20:01 PM by morsel »

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2018, 04:44:35 PM »

Try Motul 660, it's a DOT 4 with a very high wet/dry rating that exceeds most DOT 5's.

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=MT660&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=MT660&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImMG5q_nY3AIVgkOGCh3gtAmvEAQYBSABEgKYM_D_BwE

Motul is a great product and we run The Motul RBF 600 at the track and it withstands the most unbelievable torture (heat).
Great product

O/T
But on a track car you never run the same brake fluid after an event. Always fresh.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2018, 12:17:34 AM »
I personally don't like the mushy pedal DOT5 gives. I know many own trailer queens or vehicles that see very, very limited use. I use Wilwood's fluid because of the boiling point and the fact it is resistant to moisture absorption.  Yes, that rabbit hole is necessary.  I am glad I read the thread and saw Bob addressed the issue with trying to convert from Dot3.  Most I know who have changed to DOT5 flush with alcohol. I'm still not sure I trust that method.

-Keith