News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Serial number tag

Started by Robgt500, February 18, 2024, 07:25:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robgt500

Would like to up date my serial number Tag as my old one is in rough shape. I have a new tag, I have the original build sheet of my car that I've had for 42 years. I know this is a touchy subject.  Do I need to get ahold of Shelby American?
Thanks

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Robgt500 on February 18, 2024, 07:25:23 PM
Would like to up date my serial number Tag as my old one is in rough shape. I have a new tag, I have the original build sheet of my car that I've had for 42 years. I know this is a touchy subject.  Do I need to get ahold of Shelby American?
Thanks
In regards to 65-70 Shelby's ,Shelby American has nothing to do with you and your serial number tag. They don't stamp anything if that is what you thought. They are only involved with the late model vehicle and parts that they currently sell. It is your car and you can do what you want with it. New repro tags typically get looked at in a negative light. They typically don't look like original so there is that too. Typically in concours a beat up original tag is one of the things that the condition if distressed is overlooked and not expected to look like new. The original tag is typically prefered by the judging staff and enthusiast alike .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Kent

never ever replace an original tag even if it looks totally bad.
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jet´s and some nice Mustang Fastback´s 67/68

Coralsnake

shelbymann1970

I know the OP said serial number tag but what year is he talking about? Which tag if 68? I don't think it is a big deal to replace your fender tag(some refer it as a serial number tag) on a 68 if you have an original serial dash tag on it. I did on my 68 and got a nice repro from Back East. Ditto for the buck tag as mine was missing half of it. Both original pieces went with the car. dash tags or 65-67 fender serial number tags-yep, bad idea.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Coralsnake

He has a build sheet, so its most likely a 1968.

I think the point is the reproduction tag raises immediate red flags. Unless the original is not serviceable, leave it alone.

Originality trumps beauty in this case

Mr Gaines is correct...

The current Shelby business has nothing to do with original production cars.

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Coralsnake on February 19, 2024, 06:42:01 AM
He has a build sheet, so its most likely a 1968.

I think the point is the reproduction tag raises immediate red flags. Unless the original is not serviceable, leave it alone.

Originality trumps beauty in this case

Mr Gaines is correct...

The current Shelby business has nothing to do with original production cars.
68 Shelbys fender tags to me are like door data tags. Not the legal titling of a car. You remember how bad mine was it needed to be replaced. I agree if they can be mounted and all there keep it on. The tag below. Well I felt the need to replace.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

Coralsnake

I would say that falls into the category of "not serviceable"

shelbymann1970

Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

shelbyhertz66

When it comes to 65,66 or 67 original serial number tags
if you can read it at all , leave it alone.

pchmotoho

How about removing the original.  Put it in a safety deposit box and then put a repo tag on the car. 

I did not do this with mine but I completely understand why someone would do the above. 

FL SAAC

leave as is, it's an old car and gives it a certain je ne sais quoi
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

BGlover67

OMG, that looks like a fragment from the Dead Sea Scrolls.
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

shelbymann1970

Quote from: BGlover67 on February 20, 2024, 10:10:08 AM
OMG, that looks like a fragment from the Dead Sea Scrolls.
My 68 sat outside from the early 70s for years with the hood off and drivetrain out from how a prior owner had had it. Solid body floors etc including the cowl area just the engine bay took the brunt of the exposure(tag also) and a piece of the DS toe box(floor) and one lower rear quarter being patched( one door replaced).  Nice original interior. But that tag.....
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990