Author Topic: NOS 1968 wood grain instrument cluster bezel  (Read 618 times)

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
NOS 1968 wood grain instrument cluster bezel
« on: February 14, 2024, 08:44:52 PM »
NOS instrument cluster for a '68.  Very nice overall, plastic chrome is one of the best I have seen.  There are some imperfections in the black painted areas as shown which could be touched up.  This one has the back side painted black, originals usually were white.  Otherwise, exactly like an assembly line piece with FoMoCo molded numbers and chrome edge around the bright lights indicator.

$1k, shipping included to US address

Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: NOS 1968 wood grain instrument cluster bezel
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2024, 08:45:32 PM »
More pics.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2024, 06:48:36 AM »
I wish you guys would hold off on selling your NOS 68 stuff.  :D I'm trying to buy a 68 but have to wait until spring to see if I get it. By then all the NOS stuff will be gone. Maybe I need to tell Seraphim he needs doubles(well it would be triples on some parts).
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2024, 08:54:16 AM »
I wish you guys would hold off on selling your NOS 68 stuff.  :D I'm trying to buy a 68 but have to wait until spring to see if I get it. By then all the NOS stuff will be gone. Maybe I need to tell Seraphim he needs doubles(well it would be triples on some parts).

Well I think that you are very courageous to consider a new project? Speaking for myself only, frankly, I'm priced out now and it is getting worse.

To add insult to injury, potential buyers of my parts tell me that I'm out of line with my asking prices and suggest that the market values are more like 25 cents on a dollar to what I want for them?

IN FACT I had one "dealer" tell me WTF do I think I am? I need to sell my parts to him at a "wholesale price", whatever that is, so he could turn around and sell it for "retail" and that he was justified in the price because he was a dealer?

So apparently as a seller now, it depends on who you are and if you are nobody like me, your parts are just worth junk prices?

I think that is worth thinking about for anyone looking to get into a new project if you have any hopes of finishing it accurately without having to use "jabonga" aftermarket stuff to get it finished?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2024, 09:22:18 AM »

Well I think that you are very courageous to consider a new project? Speaking for myself only, frankly, I'm priced out now and it is getting worse.

To add insult to injury, potential buyers of my parts tell me that I'm out of line with my asking prices and suggest that the market values are more like 25 cents on a dollar to what I want for them?

IN FACT I had one "dealer" tell me WTF do I think I am? I need to sell my parts to him at a "wholesale price", whatever that is, so he could turn around and sell it for "retail" and that he was justified in the price because he was a dealer?

So apparently as a seller now, it depends on who you are and if you are nobody like me, your parts are just worth junk prices?

I think that is worth thinking about for anyone looking to get into a new project if you have any hopes of finishing it accurately without having to use "jabonga" aftermarket stuff to get it finished?
I have always found it humorous since the advent of social media that there are those who think you should sell at a discount because they are dealers. Now at a Frank "bundling" I'd like to get a discount but that would be for a lot of parts as in a whole "lot" of parts so then a seller could decide is it worth offering a discount so these are all gone at once(time is money) or not? Yeah, a project these days scare me more so than 15 years ago but when you find a 1 owner 30K mile car sitting since the early 70s in a great color and manual well... I won't restore my 428 SCJ 4 speed candy apple Mach1 because the price of  original parts missing  and my labor and the price of a paint job does not justify me doing that to my car. a #3 car that shows great from 10 feet away but has it's warts because it was restored around 1990(is that correct Dan?) and abused at SAAC events on the east coast mostly. i'll just continue enjoying it for now as is.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2024, 09:30:47 AM »

I have always found it humorous since the advent of social media that there are those who think you should sell at a discount because they are dealers. Now at a Frank "bundling" I'd like to get a discount but that would be for a lot of parts as in a whole "lot" of parts so then a seller could decide is it worth offering a discount so these are all gone at once(time is money) or not? Yeah, a project these days scare me more so than 15 years ago but when you find a 1 owner 30K mile car sitting since the early 70s in a great color and manual well... I won't restore my 428 SCJ 4 speed candy apple Mach1 because the price of  original parts missing  and my labor and the price of a paint job does not justify me doing that to my car. a #3 car that shows great from 10 feet away but has it's warts because it was restored around 1990(is that correct Dan?) and abused at SAAC events on the east coast mostly. i'll just continue enjoying it for now as is.

...OR that YOU can't get that kind of a price for YOUR car because those were AUCTION PRICES...but I'll give you HALF of that!

Maybe there are just some truths coming out of the "auctions"? One thing that the "auction people" will say, "the car didn't bring the expected price because "the right buyer wasn't in the building"?

The same with some parts. It is only worth "that" to the "right buyer" and you just need to hold out until they appear.

Honestly though, the higher the parts go, the smaller the market becomes.

The folks that bought a '67 GT500 40 years ago for $500 and are just getting around to "restoring it" now are gonna' have some financial issues that can not be rolled back 40 years.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2024, 10:58:59 AM »
Only time I would expect to sell something at a discount to a dealer would be when I contacted the dealer directly to inquire if they're interested in purchasing.  Totally get that they have to make a profit.  This is only necessary when fire-selling or need to unload quickly... or have a lot of items to unload at once.

Some of the prices I've been seeing on parts over the past few years will take your breath away.  I'm not sure if I'm out of line on the bezel, it seems like a lot, but I haven't seen one of these offered this nice in a long time.  Seems most of the available NOS stock these days are the 2nds/3rds/4ths...
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2024, 11:57:15 AM »
Only time I would expect to sell something at a discount to a dealer would be when I contacted the dealer directly to inquire if they're interested in purchasing.  Totally get that they have to make a profit.  This is only necessary when fire-selling or need to unload quickly... or have a lot of items to unload at once.

Some of the prices I've been seeing on parts over the past few years will take your breath away.  I'm not sure if I'm out of line on the bezel, it seems like a lot, but I haven't seen one of these offered this nice in a long time.  Seems most of the available NOS stock these days are the 2nds/3rds/4ths...
I know what Seraphim paid for one with a complete set of gauges and the housing. Then FEdEX destroyed the bezel part of it even though it was packed great. Took a year to finally get them to settle for a fraction of the insured value so he could buy-which he already did- an NOS bezel one like this one  to replace the broken one I know what he paid for it. For restorers prices have gone up a lot faster than the cars and that is the reality. I was fortunate in that Ray Azcue restored my original dash pieces on 1812.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2024, 12:48:16 PM »

I'm not criticizing anyone's asking price on anything. There is no Kelly Blue Book on parts. It is not really a simple task to set a price on something and is an educated guess at best.

If we presume that the claimed new high selling point of a part that someone ha is a 10 out of 10, IF presuming there is even a such thing, then how do you set a price on a 8 out of 10?

Logically it is not at 50% or lower. It should be around 80% but that is not what the current market is indicating. It's more like "garage sale" and people are showing up offering you 25 cents for that old LIFE magazine.

About 1978, there was a local guy that was coming to the SOA meetings. He had just purchased a pretty nice white 4 speed 67 GT500.

He loved to come to the meets and point out that he had bought it for $800. He just loved to aggravate everyone with that. I haven't seen him in years.

I wonder if he resold the car and got more then $800 for it?

I think that maybe at this moment, there is a "bah humbug" thing going on and my '67 GT500 parts for sale are only '67 Mustang parts for sale in the eyes of the current quality of buyers. Maybe right there that's the current problem?

The quality of the buyers isn't there at the moment? Lots of parts are going unsold and people are only looking for what we used to refer to as "fire sales"?

Eh. Enough bitching on my part. It isn't my intention to ruin anyone's day. Complaining though does seem to be an indication of some sort of recovery?

Incidentally. I lock my for sale ads so nobody like me can come along and ruin your sale. My apologies.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2024, 01:38:46 PM »
What is a real current market on any parts? I set the ebay record at 535 dollars for a set of 68-70 "SHELBY letters at 535 in the 2000s(around 2007-8). I had never seen another set go higher. My friend Vito ended up selling a set for around 70 bucks a few years later. My favorite example are 2 sales. I had 2 sets of nice front bumperettes for a 69-70 Mustang. Both needed re-chroming. No difference. I sold the first set for 101.oo. Under Ebay rules I offered my second set as a second chance offer to the next high bidder. HE had 5 days to respond. Never did. I then listed the second set and got 154.52 for them. I was willing to let them go for under 101.00 if the guy would have responded. What ticks me off about the Shelby letters is after I sold the set I got out my second set to offer to the second highest bidder but found out I had 2 of one letter and missing the S. I was able a few years later horse trade for the S with the other letter. I'm keeping that set now as a spare.  See pics for the 2 bumperettes and Shelby letters. So many times I am asked what is a part worth. My answer is I don't know. If you are selling tell me what you want price wise and then I have to decide if it is worth that to ME. Not anyone else but ME.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990