Author Topic: side quart scoop install question  (Read 255 times)

imming1965

• View Profile
side quart scoop install question
« on: January 11, 2024, 09:48:05 AM »
I have been told that the side scoops on a 1969 shelby were installed using white double sided tape. is this correct? also if it is, does the tape go all the way around? does anyone have pictures of how the tape was installed on scoop? I'm restoring this early 69 gt350 and wasn't the person whom disassembled this car so I'm a little behind the 8 ball and figuring out a lot of these details because I don't have any reference pictures to go from. I usually take hundreds of pictures so when assembling I can refer back.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: side quart scoop install question
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2024, 10:07:00 AM »
I have been told that the side scoops on a 1969 shelby were installed using white double sided tape. is this correct? also if it is, does the tape go all the way around? does anyone have pictures of how the tape was installed on scoop? I'm restoring this early 69 gt350 and wasn't the person whom disassembled this car so I'm a little behind the 8 ball and figuring out a lot of these details because I don't have any reference pictures to go from. I usually take hundreds of pictures so when assembling I can refer back.
Yes ,the THIN 3M double sided tape all the way around the perimeter looks best. The factory application can very.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

imming1965

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2024, 10:14:43 AM »
Yes ,the THIN 3M double sided tape all the way around the perimeter looks best. The factory application can very.
what do you mean by thin? how thin do you mean? i have some white double side foam tape that is about 1/16" thick, is that to thick?

imming1965

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2024, 10:17:36 AM »
does anyone have pictures of an original scoop that has been removed and can still see how tape was applied and what tape looked like?

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2024, 10:45:48 AM »
what do you mean by thin? how thin do you mean? i have some white double side foam tape that is about 1/16" thick, is that to thick?
  1/16 is definitely not too thin. I can say for sure no thinner then 1/16. Sorry I have never measured but knew by appearance. I haven't bought any in a while but the 3M brand I bought numerous times in the past had a red backing identifier.The thinner the tape the better the look on the installed scoop.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby