Author Topic: GT350 std cooling fan shroud  (Read 811 times)

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
GT350 std cooling fan shroud
« on: December 15, 2023, 07:59:55 AM »
Does anyone have good pics of the original 351 standard cooling fan shroud? Of the texture of the shroud. The molded numbers.  Did service shrouds change over the years like they did for the 428 CJ where they moved numbers and it went from a "horse hair" finish to a smooth finish with a few iterations along the way. Thanks in advance. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: GT350 std cooling fan shroud
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2023, 09:30:10 AM »
Does anyone have good pics of the original 351 standard cooling fan shroud? Of the texture of the shroud. The molded numbers.  Did service shrouds change over the years like they did for the 428 CJ where they moved numbers and it went from a "horse hair" finish to a smooth finish with a few iterations along the way. Thanks in advance. Gary
The 351 standard shrouds had a smooth texture just like the 67 and 68 shrouds.The only change that I have noticed with the service shrouds is that they seem to have a shinier appearance which is more so then just being new. No horse hair material.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2023, 11:32:23 AM »
With original ones appearing to be duller could it have to do with anything like heat cycles and such which could cause a surface to dull over time? I bought my Shroud a few decades ago for my car(came with the dreaded "Caution Fan" sticker) and was wondering if I should search for an original or older service shroud. I found one with a box ship of 1977.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2023, 01:31:01 PM »
With original ones appearing to be duller could it have to do with anything like heat cycles and such which could cause a surface to dull over time? I bought my Shroud a few decades ago for my car(came with the dreaded "Caution Fan" sticker) and was wondering if I should search for an original or older service shroud. I found one with a box ship of 1977.
I have owned and seen NOS 68 shroud and it was duller out of the box. I can only assume the same holds true for the 67 versions which I have only seen used. The 69 unmolested survivor context ones that I have seen were the duller which makes me suspect that there may have been a change in the mfg process to account for that. I can't say for sure so I would not worry about that aspect. I just wanted to answer your question with the only difference observation (although slight) that I noticed. As long as the caution fan sticker is removed it should look like assemblyline. Sticker in place is post 1971 IMO.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Dennis Y

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2023, 10:19:11 PM »
Hey Gary, I'll get some pics of my original when I get home from Maryland on Sunday.

KShane

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2024, 01:10:28 PM »
Original unrestored car. Fan shroud is smooth in texture and you can see the numbers. February production date.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2024, 04:07:16 PM »
67,68 and 69 std cooling fan shrouds were all made of the same material and had the same smooth texture.