News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Ford GT s getting taken out one at a time.

Started by deathsled, December 27, 2023, 09:18:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathsled

"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

Side-Oilers

Ford's warning to all GT owners:  This car is not approved to exit driveways from Cars & Coffee events with the throttle pinned! 
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

Kent

I always wonder how you can crash such a car in a city. They are really easy to drive also with going sideways etc. I drove nearly all Ford´s everything from the 60s to old and new GT´s to Raptor, Focus RS models and I never met one that was a "problem" or scary to drive and I always drove them at the edge . Yes the Shelby/ Kirkham etc. Cobras are really special but if you know how to handle them it also not a big deal. It makes me scared that there are so many idiots out there and Tesla and co are pushing the limits to 1000 hp+ who will handle that? I drove some of the Hellcat engine cars and some electric ones and it's crazy how they go fast forward with such a big weight and that's the problem for a lot of drivers I think.
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jet´s and some nice Mustang Fastback´s 67/68

FL SAAC

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

tesgt350

Quote from: Kent on December 28, 2023, 03:10:05 AM
I always wonder how you can crash such a car in a city. They are really easy to drive also with going sideways etc. I drove nearly all Ford´s everything from the 60s to old and new GT´s to Raptor, Focus RS models and I never met one that was a "problem" or scary to drive and I always drove them at the edge . Yes the Shelby/ Kirkham etc. Cobras are really special but if you know how to handle them it also not a big deal. It makes me scared that there are so many idiots out there and Tesla and co are pushing the limits to 1000 hp+ who will handle that? I drove some of the Hellcat engine cars and some electric ones and it's crazy how they go fast forward with such a big weight and that's the problem for a lot of drivers I think.

BUT, I bet you gave the Tires time to warm up before you gave it any real Throttle.................am I right?

shelbydoug

Quote from: tesgt350 on December 28, 2023, 08:10:06 AM
Quote from: Kent on December 28, 2023, 03:10:05 AM

BUT, I bet you gave the Tires time to warm up before you gave it any real Throttle.................am I right?

When I was a teenager in the '60s and everyone, and I do mean everyone was yelling at us because ...well just because, there were many discussions about banning cars with too much horsepower.

It never really came to that BUT there were segments of the population that took action. For example, Allstate Insurance would not insure, amongst other cars, 427 Cobras because of what they described, a dangerous "horsepower to weight ratio".

I don't specifically remember the "chart" exactly but it was something of the order of if a car had a hp/w ratio of less then 10 pounds to one horsepower, "foregetaboutit".

As it was presented, the 427 Cobra was something like 5 to 1.

Now I will agree that there has been much improvement in drive-ability of high performance cars from then to now, much of which is in tire development, but one thing still remains the same, there are still "ya' who's" with enough money available to buy whatever they want and not know a thing about what makes them work and exactly what the critical factors are in "operating" them safely.

In the case of one car accidents, who cares, that was the operators problem. In the case of getting hit by something on the order of a meteorite while minding your own business, that's quite another thing altogether.

Personally I envision the buyers targeted by Chrysler in the "Dodge Boys" Doughnut Derelicts offerings as fugitives from a prefrontal lobotomy. ALL the manufactures have found enough of them to completely sell out their own HP products so maybe that explains today's society more accurately then anticipated. Market studies are important!
Doughnuts in the parking lot is one thing but I draw the line there and it should not be in the four way intersection, but that's just me.

Car manufacturers these days essentially are just a bunch of whores. You can see any of them bent over along the roadside taking it in the posterior because their monetary threshold has been achieved. Just signs of the times.

It is a free enterprise system and apparently everyone and everything has it's price?

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

67 GT350

It would be called RESPECT, if you do not respect it, sell it! That goes for any car.
RARE  Signature Delete

Shawn

Most of the wrecks are due to the production Good Year tires.  A lot of these cars still have them, like hitting black ice.

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: Shawn on December 28, 2023, 09:16:36 AM
Most of the wrecks are due to the production Good Year tires.

No this type accident is 100% caused by low talent and a switch on the traction control. The ONLY way 90-95% of the population can drive a 500+ hp performance car is that the computer makes up for their lack of skills. Yes hard old tires aren't as grippy but the decent driver will adapt to the tire and not expect road race slick performance out of street tires.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

KR Convertible

The Goodyears did cause many of these to be wrecked.  The pictures of this car seems to show Potenzas.  Lack of talent, common sense or respect on this one most likely.

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: KR Convertible on December 28, 2023, 04:39:14 PM
The Goodyears did cause many of these to be wrecked. 
Only if they failed ala the Firestone 500. The Ford GT Goodyear was a "summer" tire so if the driver chose to use it in other conditions - again his fault.

CharlesTurner

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on December 28, 2023, 04:31:40 PM
No this type accident is 100% caused by low talent and a switch on the traction control. The ONLY way 90-95% of the population can drive a 500+ hp performance car is that the computer makes up for their lack of skills. Yes hard old tires aren't as grippy but the decent driver will adapt to the tire and not expect road race slick performance out of street tires.

'05-'06 Ford GT's didn't have traction control.  They didn't have cruise control either.

I have about 1,000 miles of seat time in an '05 GT.  My only issue with them is it's hard to see out the back and what's behind you.  Some may not consider that an issue, but driving the car on public roads/traffic, it's a bit of a nuisance. 
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

shelbydoug

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on December 28, 2023, 08:03:21 PM
Quote from: KR Convertible on December 28, 2023, 04:39:14 PM
The Goodyears did cause many of these to be wrecked. 
Only if they failed ala the Firestone 500. The Ford GT Goodyear was a "summer" tire so if the driver chose to use it in other conditions - again his fault.

Tire compounds seemed to always be an issue. The Goodyear Polyglass was slick in the hot, in the cold, in the wet AND was like concrete AND would catch every seem in the road.

My Pirelli P7's are total dog do-do in temps under about 40°F.

GT500 convertibles should be parked after Thanksgiving until about May 1 because of the risk of them sliding off the road when it's cloudy.

Yada, yada, yada. This is all part of the education needed in operating a real high performance vehicle. No one is going to school you on it. It is knowledge learned of hard knocks, and bent fenders.

Don't laugh but seemingly the best overall combination tire is the BFG T/A. I actually remember in the '70s when some were using them for racing wets.

I get the fascination of the availability of driving a 1,000hp "street car" but I'm not convinced of the practical safety factor in selling them to the general public without at least a qualified drivers license? They are not some kind of a video game.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: CharlesTurner on December 29, 2023, 01:02:02 AM
I have about 1,000 miles of seat time in an '05 GT.  ..... but driving the car on public roads/traffic, it's a bit of a nuisance.
A friend sold his for exactly that same reason. People trying to take photos and nearly hitting you - everyone in a POS anything trying to race you. It was just too much to make the drive enjoyable. One time we were out and some guy in an 80s Caddie tried to get a race at 3 lights. I did keep his car cover - it fits the wife's Tbird pretty well except the mirror pockets are in the wrong spot.

deathsled

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on December 29, 2023, 01:20:08 PM
Quote from: CharlesTurner on December 29, 2023, 01:02:02 AM
I have about 1,000 miles of seat time in an '05 GT.  ..... but driving the car on public roads/traffic, it's a bit of a nuisance.
A friend sold his for exactly that same reason. People trying to take photos and nearly hitting you - everyone in a POS anything trying to race you. It was just too much to make the drive enjoyable. One time we were out and some guy in an 80s Caddie tried to get a race at 3 lights. I did keep his car cover - it fits the wife's Tbird pretty well except the mirror pockets are in the wrong spot.
I tend to drive on weekends getting an early morning start like 5:30 am and by return at say 8 or 9 am it is only then that the traffic is beginning to pick up. Also planned routes where there are fewer cars in addition to one's launch times makes driving any such car a joy again.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"