News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

1967 Early GT 350 Radio

Started by DGSOH, July 28, 2018, 10:11:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGSOH

What would the correct radio be - AM/FM or just AM. I currently have AM/FM and the window sticker (was told the window sticker is original by the PO but I'm not convinced yet) shows a $57.71 charge for "Radio". Just trying to figure out what should be there. No I don't have a Marti report. Yes I know I should. Yes I will one of these days : )

Thanks -

DGSOH

67_1183

$57.51 is the retail charge on the window sticker for an AM radio of the cars I have seen.

It is hit or miss on the Marti report for radios.  The majority of Marti reports I have seen for 67 Shelby's do not list radios.  Position 58 on the Vehicle Order Image has the radio information.  A 2 in that position indicates AM radio.  The Marti for my car is blank in that position indicating either no radio or no information from Ford.  My car has an AM radio.

2nd owner of 67 GT500 #1183 since September 1976

Bob Gaines

AM radio is typical from the factory 67. AM/FM from the factory is extremely rare but apparently a few were done according to the records Dave Mathews has. I am not sure about AM/8 track but suspect it is at least as rare if at all from the factory. Unlike the 65 /66 GT 350's which typically had radios installed after they were built at SJ ether at high performance motors close by SA or at the selling dealer ,the 67 radios were typically left up to the factory to install or to the dealer if a upgrade was desired.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

JD

"DGSOH", can you post a photo of the AM/FM that you have?

Also, does it have a date code ink stamped on it?

I had heard (not saying it's true) that the AM/FM wasn't available until March-ish of '67.

Regarding the AM radio's there, were FORD and PHILCO versions, I think either is OK for and early '67 but others will know more. 

I was under the impression all the '67's came from Ford/Shelby with the AM, whether or not it was installed-fully (antennas were shipped in the truck and dealer installed) or removed would have been a dealer issue at point of sale.

Here is the template that was in the antenna box (in the trunk) the dealer would use it to locate the two holes they drilled to install the antenna
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

DGSOH

Quote from: JD on July 28, 2018, 01:03:05 PM
"DGSOH", can you post a photo of the AM/FM that you have?

Also, does it have a date code ink stamped on it?

I had heard (not saying it's true) that the AM/FM wasn't available until March-ish of '67.

Regarding the AM radio's there, were FORD and PHILCO versions, I think either is OK for and early '67 but others will know more. 

I was under the impression all the '67's came from Ford/Shelby with the AM, whether or not it was installed-fully (antennas were shipped in the truck and dealer installed) or removed would have been a dealer issue at point of sale.

Thanks JD. That was my recollection as well... but I'm no expert.

Not the radio that came from the factory it appears - data stamp is Jan 6 196(7). Much of the last digit has faded but near as I can tell it looks more like a 7 than a 6 to me.

I've asked so I can decide whether to put any effort into this one or start looking for an AM only. I don't remember when the car was first sold at retail - could be dealer installed maybe?

roddster

I've seen documentation that the AM/FM was not available until December 1966.  The "documentation" was out of an old printed 67 Mustang accessory/price guide.  Not a Fomoco issued print.