News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Engine dating question

Started by hurlbird, December 07, 2023, 05:20:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hurlbird

I got a call from the original owner (his son) that I bought my 68 350 from. He is claiming to have found what he believes was the original motor (short block) to my car in their barn. If true its been there since 1971 and is very corroded! Anyhow its in a very difficult location (fell through floorboards) to get at so I cannot see the VIN stamping or castings without a real commitment and half a day. I can see the stamping on the front surface near the water pump which 8C4Y. My car was built 4/23/68. I certainly hope it is the block, but before I commit my time digging it out and I suspect a lot of $$, I want to be sure based on these numbers it seems right. Thoughts?

J_Speegle

Quote from: hurlbird on December 07, 2023, 05:20:39 PM
I got a call from the original owner (his son) that I bought my 68 350 from. ..............  I can see the stamping on the front surface near the water pump which 8C4Y. My car was built 4/23/68. I certainly hope it is the block, but before I commit my time digging it out and I suspect a lot of $$, I want to be sure based on these numbers it seems right. Thoughts?

What it sounds like from the description is that you located the assembly date of 8C4Y which decodes, for the date, March 4th 1968.  Guess your know where the casting date is and the car's VIN was stamped or do you need a refresher on those locations?
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

KR Convertible

To every other person in the world, it's a rusty core, and only worth a couple hundred bucks.  The only person he can sell it to for more is you.  Don't let him gouge you too bad.

Coralsnake

The derivative VIN should be on a pad behind the carburetor facing upward

hurlbird

I know where the other numbers are I wasn't familiar with the assembly date stamping. What is the Y indicating? How close to the build date should the assembly date be? Thanks

Coralsnake

Intake would be above numbers in photo

KR500

Quote from: Coralsnake on December 07, 2023, 06:00:49 PM
The derivative VIN should be on a pad behind the carburetor facing upward
To clarify what Pete means, I think, It would be on the pad on top of the block just rearward of the rear edge of the intake manifold.
Rodney Harrold,Ohio SAAC Rep,SAAC 68 Shelby Concourse Judge,68 GT500KR 02267

KR500

Pete posted photo of location while I was replying.
Rodney Harrold,Ohio SAAC Rep,SAAC 68 Shelby Concourse Judge,68 GT500KR 02267

hurlbird

thank you i actually though it was further down behind.

hurlbird

What is the Y indicating? How close to the build date should the assembly date be? thanks

J_Speegle

Quote from: hurlbird on December 07, 2023, 06:02:55 PM
I know where the other numbers are I wasn't familiar with the assembly date stamping. What is the Y indicating?

Initial of the worker who assembled the engine.

Quote from: hurlbird on December 07, 2023, 06:02:55 PMHow close to the build date should the assembly date be? Thanks

There is IMHO not exact amount of time between the cars completion date and the engines completion date more of a range that most would find "acceptable". Think most would accept without question a date of a couple of weeks to two months prior with out question. I assume that the date you provided of 4/23/68 was the cars real completion date from a Marti report and not from the door/warranty tag.

Maybe the following will help others  locate the small block casting numbers and date as well as the VIN on a J code if some are still having a problem with locating each

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Coralsnake

We say that and then people take liberty with it and match blocks to cars.

I have been working on the GT 500 KR cast dates verses assembly dates and the windows are surprisingly smaller and predictable

hurlbird

very cool i did not know that. Based on the date range you suggest it certainly seems worth my time to confirm the other numbers. Thanks!

Coralsnake

Right now its too hard to do GT350s the dates are not readily available. Look for the serial number where Rodney said 👍

J_Speegle

Added some pictures to my post above

Quote from: Coralsnake on December 07, 2023, 06:46:01 PM
We say that and then people take liberty with it and match blocks to cars.

I have been working on the GT 500 KR cast dates verses assembly dates and the windows are surprisingly smaller and predictable

+1 In charting dates for many different panels and parts at all three plants it has been surprising how often dates and ranges fall into identifiable patterns and you can or almost identify shipments from the other supplying companies, sub contractors and other Ford plants once you collect enough data points.