Author Topic: Underride traction bar mountint nut size?  (Read 3989 times)

cboss70

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Underride traction bar mountint nut size?
« on: December 07, 2023, 11:37:35 AM »
Ok I know this is a stretch but would anyone happen to know what thread and nut size is used to hold the under-ride traction bar onto the stud mounted to the frame rail near the front part of the leaf spring? My bars were off the car and I don't believe I have the frame rail mounting stud nuts so I wanted to buy generic replacements until I can see what originals look like and maybe go down that path.

jk66gt350

• View Profile
Re: Underride traction bar mountint nut size?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2023, 12:01:30 PM »
The diameter of my underride mount nuts is 15/16 ths.  Not sure of the thread.  I believe mine are original, but as third owner, I cannot be certain.

bobtail

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2023, 04:55:02 AM »
believe the 15/16 size is correct, they are half nuts with something like triangles stamped into the nuts to make them lock nuts, I think they are fine threads, don't think you will be able to duplicate, probably will have to find some originals

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2023, 04:36:07 PM »
Can't remember if I've posted this picture before on this site so here are some pictures of examples

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2023, 05:47:15 PM »
To add, the nuts were zinc silver.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

S7MS427

• View Profile
    • S-Tech Enterprises, LLC
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2023, 07:58:26 PM »
Traction Master should be able to answer your question (http://www.tractionmaster.com/). (818) 565-1121.
Roy Simkins
http://www.S-TechEnt.com/Shelby.htm
1966 G.T.350H SFM6S817
1967 G.T.500 67400F7A03040

Brant

• SAAC Member
  • www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2023, 04:50:23 PM »
I bit late here, but they should be the same as the rear bolt size, which is 5/8-18. Rear bolt is 2 3/4 inches long also. I would have to look at a car to see if the length on the front bolt is the same.
-Brant

www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com

Subscribe to our Blog for the latest updates restoration projects and new parts information for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs!  http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/

Like us on Facebook!  www.Facebook.com/VirginiaClassicMustang

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2023, 05:07:16 PM »
I bit late here, but they should be the same as the rear bolt size, which is 5/8-18. Rear bolt is 2 3/4 inches long also. I would have to look at a car to see if the length on the front bolt is the same.
The front bolt that is welded to the bracket and also holds the spacer washers is much longer at 3 1/2.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

cboss70

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2023, 05:19:33 PM »
Thank you all- I used the pictures and shockingly was able to locate the original nuts!