News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Hipo heads with smog

Started by Coralsnake, July 24, 2018, 10:47:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

acman63

Cool item but he will have them a long time if he sticks to that price
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

BGlover67

What is the casting dates for these?  Is it in the pics, because I didn't see it.

Are they really that rare?

Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

Coralsnake

I am not sure how rare they are...the seller doesnt seem to know either. The high price is just there to protect the parts...it looks like he is taking offers

Bob Gaines

With a price like that it would tend to scare off any offers in the 3000-4000 range because you would be too far apart.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

6s1640

Because these are service parts and not assembly line parts, it is hard to imagine the asking price, let alone the $3K to $4k.  The seller does not offer any casting date codes, but I'd guess 1968.  I have the same set, used.  The underside should have a 302 marking and the upper 289.

His claim "This is perfect for a true complete restoration when only the original and best will do." is not accurate if the casting date codes do not align with an intended car getting the perfect restoration.

I'd price them less than $2000.

Take care

Cory

gt350hr

This is surprising being the seller isn't in WA or NJ. Bob P wouldn't even ask that much! I sold a pair of NOS FE GT40 aluminum heads in Holman Moody  boxes for less than that! The picture is a little fuzzy are they gold plated? ;)
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Coralsnake

I think it would have been better to have a hidden reserve.

I have seen the same things on cars, once the number is attached it scares a lot of people away.

Harris Speedster

I know 68-69 and 70 Shelby's, for the most part, had smog,
Pretty much all for CA, even back in the day.

I have never heard of a 67 Shelby GT 350  having smog?
Of the 6 GT 350's I owned in the past, none had smog
Please enlighten me if I am wrong.

I know some 67 500's had it, most part, CA. cars, correct?
Is this guy singing to an absent audience ?

>>>>>>>>>>>
Wonder how many regular 67 Mustang K car's  had smog?
Big Jim, is your 67 K  ragtop a smog car?

With respect,
John
Is this the first futuristic exotic in the world?
Size of an ac cobra, but built in 1935 !
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

Coralsnake

Yes there were 289 hipo GT350 smog cars in 1967

In 1968 all Shelby's had "smog" except the 302/automatics, regardless of shipping destinations

1969 small blocks/ 351 cars had no smog

Smog/no smog had more to do with engine certifications than shipping destination

6s1640

The seller has advised me the casting date code is 3M20.  Based on the C7ZZ-6049-C 1967 part number, the date is not likely to be December 20, 1963. The most likely date is December 20, 1973.  They are definitely not December 20, 1983 since they were sold in 1978.

These would never have been original equipment on a "August 20, 1964 to January 3, 1967" HiPo K-code or GT350 car.  They are not the  "perfect for a true complete restoration when only the original and best will do."

He will be lucky to get $1500.  He does have some other interesting pieces.

Cory

69mach351w

Quote from: 6s1640 on July 24, 2018, 08:22:11 PM
The seller has advised me the casting date code is 3M20.  Based on the C7ZZ-6049-C 1967 part number, the date is not likely to be December 20, 1963. The most likely date is December 20, 1973.  They are definitely not December 20, 1983 since they were sold in 1978.

These would never have been original equipment on a "August 20, 1964 to January 3, 1967" HiPo K-code or GT350 car.  They are not the  "perfect for a true complete restoration when only the original and best will do."

He will be lucky to get $1500.  He does have some other interesting pieces.

Cory
LOL, Remember, we're talking about eBay :o   The uneducated will pay his $$ or offer something close ::)

gt350hr

Good job Cory! that makes them from the LAST run of those parts before they went "D99" or obsolete. 7 years was the "normal" limit on replacement parts unless there was extreme popularity like KONI shocks and some other stuff until they finally got the axe 15 or so years ago.
    Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

PR

I passed on a used set for 650. ,6 years ago

J_Speegle

Quote from: Harris Speedster on July 24, 2018, 06:24:19 PM
I have never heard of a 67 Shelby GT 350  having smog?
Of the 6 GT 350's I owned in the past, none had smog
Please enlighten me if I am wrong.

Took until late in the production year for Calif (and possibly a couple of other states after that) to catch on or be concerned with the limited numbers of these cars and demand that a system be installed in cars being delivered to the state with that engine.

Didn't get the requirement in place until mid April 67 So there is a fair small window of time and where they were sent that together make up a fairly small pool of cars. No I've not counted the number of cars this would have been :)
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge