Author Topic: location of metal engine ID tag  (Read 942 times)

101hornets

• View Profile
location of metal engine ID tag
« on: November 29, 2023, 05:50:09 PM »
I believe the metal engine ID tag was mounted under the coil attachment bolt (my car is a GT500 with smog) in which the coil is on the intake manifold. My question is should it be laying flat under the coil or oriented towards the front and bent downward so it can be read? I have been searching all over looking for a photo but have not come across one? Any feedback would be helpful. Thanks

430dragpack

• View Profile
Re: location of metal engine ID tag
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2023, 06:15:56 PM »
Here is a couple pictures I have.  One is from car #590, the other car I don’t have the car number.  First picture is 590, other two are of the same unknown white car.   Can you please post a picture of your engine tag if it is an original?
Thanks,
Chris

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2023, 10:39:13 PM »
It is possible to see them ether way on 67 GT500. I typically do not see them bent down on purpose. The are equally hard to see on all bigblock Mustangs.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

101hornets

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2023, 06:21:52 PM »

Bob- what orientation?- I understand it's under the forward coil mounting bolt on the intake manifold but should it be parallel to the coil and run fore and aft or mounted 90 degrees and perpendicular to the coil- kinda pointing to the distributor? Chris's photo has it pointing forward and bent downward? As I can't find an unmolested photo anywhere and opinions are mixed- what was factory correct?

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2023, 07:55:06 PM »

Bob- what orientation?- I understand it's under the forward coil mounting bolt on the intake manifold but should it be parallel to the coil and run fore and aft or mounted 90 degrees and perpendicular to the coil- kinda pointing to the distributor? Chris's photo has it pointing forward and bent downward? As I can't find an unmolested photo anywhere and opinions are mixed- what was factory correct?
There is not one and only way that is factory correct. I have typically seen them parallel and facing forward but I have also seen seen them as you said sort of pointing toward the distributor. They could vary on the positioning.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2023, 09:29:43 PM »
Agree with Bob - the technician installing the coil did not care where the engine tag ended up. He was installing the parts. No bending was part of his job.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock