News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Boss 302 Trans Am adjustable ball joint kit

Started by shelbydoug, November 25, 2023, 07:53:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbydoug

Are the kits shown in the Off Highway Boss 302  Chassis booklet still available anywhere?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

gt350shelb

Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

shelbydoug

Quote from: gt350shelb on November 25, 2023, 07:59:03 PM
I have not seen one in a long time

I can't find a listing to them anywhere or anything on the internet.

I have a new pair in my stash. Apparently the tide went out and I am finding stuff.

I don't know whether to use them or put them up for trade for a new Corvette even swap? Only ancient Neanderthals like me even know what they are?

They are the wrong shape to use as a Clovis point on my spears.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

gt350shelb

Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

shelbydoug

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

TA Coupe

I think there was talk about them on the boss website within the last month or two.

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

shelbydoug

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

crossboss

Sell them to a T/A racer who 'may' need them. IF you want to go racing for fun, use a modern set up.
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1970 GT-500--#3129--Grabber Orange.
Current lifelong projects:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

shelbydoug

Quote from: crossboss on November 28, 2023, 01:02:24 PM
Sell them to a T/A racer who 'may' need them. IF you want to go racing for fun, use a modern set up.

I'm not sure why they would have been needed back then except for an adjustment at the track with little time available?

I think the point of running in "Vintage" is that it is not a modern set up and as such present other challenges. I would not expect any of those cars to be competitive with a modern version. That is not the play at hand and not really the point?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

gt350shelb

we never found a good reason other than..... If you damaged one at the track it was easy to replace .

shelbydoug

Quote from: gt350shelb on December 05, 2023, 08:42:36 PM
we never found a good reason other than..... If you damaged one at the track it was easy to replace .

I agree in the sense that in order to install them, you need to drill out the factory rivets, then bolt everything together. Then since the ball joint itself disassembles, you can just rebuild the joint rather then having to replace the entire lower control arm.

That isn't an overwhelming reason but they do seem to be a unique T/A feature? I've never seen them used anywhere else, on any other car.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

gt350shelb

May have also been stronger  than the ford ones 

shelbydoug

Quote from: gt350shelb on December 05, 2023, 09:06:04 PM
May have also been stronger  than the ford ones

The bottom plate is thicker in the T/A kit then the original ball joint plate so yes it should be stronger considering it is definitely heftier?

I relaize that boxing out things like the lower control arm are kind of standard for race car builders to do, learned from an education of hard knocks,  but I don't see where that is even close to being necessary on these cars.

The 65 type ball joint with the extended flange that the strut bar bolts through does a pretty good job of beefing the control arm up also.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!