News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

67 Hubcaps

Started by Bossbill, July 21, 2018, 04:09:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bossbill

Of the many 67/68 T-bird (nee, 67 Shelby) hubcaps I've collected, 4 hubcaps are nice enough to consider for concours.
There are three colors on these hubcaps and I need to know what is a color match that you have used or seen.

Outer area in trough with valve stem -- appears to be flat black.
Major portion of hubcap including area under spokes -- looks like flat Mustang argent.
Area in the 'five cooling vent' area -- appears to be a flat silver-white argent.
As noted, all colors appear to be flat.
Bill

67 GT350 Actual Build 3/2/67  01375
70 B302   6/6/70  0T02G160xxx

Richstang

1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

That would look so DANG good as a 15x8" wheel with a 4-1/4" backspace and a 275/55 R 15 Avon C6RZZ  on it.   🤓

JD

Outer area in trough with valve stem -- appears to be flat black. "A" on the image below
Major portion of hubcap including area under spokes -- looks like flat Mustang argent. "B" on the image below - maybe semi-gloss not flat
Area in the 'five cooling vent' area -- appears to be a flat silver-white argent.  "C" below - silver not white, also semi-gloss?

Maybe others will chime in, I know Kieth has some more images and others as well.

Also, a photo someone posted or sent with the center element removed, show the color fade from exposure.

One other thing, there seems to be a later issue version (service replacement?) of these that has the gray metallic section with a much more pronounced "larger" metal-flake.

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Richstang

Quote from: JD on July 22, 2018, 10:17:39 AM
Outer area in trough with valve stem -- appears to be flat black. "A" on the image below
Major portion of hubcap including area under spokes -- looks like flat Mustang argent. "B" on the image below - maybe semi-gloss not flat
Area in the 'five cooling vent' area -- appears to be a flat silver-white argent.  "C" below - silver not white, also semi-gloss?

Maybe others will chime in, I know Kieth has some more images and others as well.

Also, a photo someone posted or sent with the center element removed, show the color fade from exposure.

One other thing, there seems to be a later issue version (service replacement?) of these that has the gray metallic section with a much more pronounced "larger" metal-flake.

JD, Nice photos to show the differences. They might be from Kieth.
I would think the "B" area in gray/silver argent is either flat or satin, NOT semi gloss.
Same for the "C" area in silver (NO white) flat or satin, NOT semi gloss

Here's another photo I believe is an NOS hupcap from Kieth

Bob Gaines

Quote from: JD on July 22, 2018, 10:17:39 AM

I thought i would mention that the emblem in the hubcap used for reference indicates that the hubcap is a later service style that never came on the cars originally. However I believe that the colors and shades described are accurate.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

SFM66H

On my NOS wheel covers, my eyes see:

"A" as flat black,
"B" as semi-flat charcoal,
"C" as flat Argent silver:

1966 GT350H owner since June 30, 1976

Bob Gaines

Quote from: SFM66H on July 23, 2018, 02:44:10 PM

"A" as flat black,
"C" as flat Argent silver:

I am not sure if the picture is of your NOS hubcap or the same one JD posted but It appears that when you compare the center emblem in the picture with the center emblem in reply 4 that the picture in this case is the later service replacement with the mustard colored emblem . Of course it could just be the angle and the lighting. The emblem mustard color is very similar to what the repro gas cap, fender and grill emblems look like. The repro people may have used the hubcap emblem as a basis for all of the other wrong colored emblems. It is common for the repro companies to take the last item serviced before it went obsolete as a model to copy from. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Richstang

JD's photo looks like it has the plastic floor protector from the concours judging at SAAC 40 in the Kalahari.
Might be #1518 hubcaps.

Bossbill

Quote from: SFM66H on July 23, 2018, 02:44:10 PM

"A" as flat black,
"C" as flat Argent silver.
Thanks for the detailed pic. I know what flat black is; semi-flat charcoal is no std Mustang color that I know of, but I can find something close; Argent silver is another odd one.

I've added a pic below to illustrate that on all of my hubcaps the color 'B' is also on the area with a blue line I've marked as 'D' (6:00 o'clock). It follows the small step and stops on the flat edge of the cap.

I can't tell from the angle of your shot if your cap has this area painted or not.
I found an un-restored 67 Shelby at Roundup this last weekend with caps, and it has this area painted.

Quote from: Bob Gaines on July 22, 2018, 11:46:53 AM
I thought i would mention that the emblem in the hubcap used for reference indicates that the hubcap is a later service style that never came on the cars originally. However I believe that the colors and shades described are accurate.

Bob -- How can you tell that? What are you seeing that I cannot? Can you tell me which pic?
My caps are all C7SA-1141-A and the area inside where the Shelby logo goes is 1.7".

On edit, while I was writing, Bob answered the question!
Bill

JD

this may help regarding the emblems and Bob's comment to those that didn't get Bob's reply to the OP.

Note the color of these emblems and the one (second image) close-up and rotated is of the one in replies above.  (the one on the far right in the first image is to show that some have used horn button foils which was never - to my knowledge - used and not correct.)

Also note how close the "S" and "A" are to the inside of the cavity.

The gray indicated in above images as area "B" does have metallic but it is (should be) very fine.

Rich, yes that would seem to be the car.  It was judged twice, Wisconsin and Pa events consecutive years.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Bossbill

Very good data on the cap emblem variations, JD. Thanks. That clears up a lot of questions other than where do I find a set of real emblems?

Finding hubcaps in restorable condition has been tough. Finding correct wheels has been tougher.  I also need to find the post in which someone was selling the correct lug nuts.

I didn't know going in how difficult it was to do a correct steel wheel and hubcap combination!
Bill

JD

Just for reference here is a comparison of the three types of lug nuts used on '67's...for some that may not be aware.

Also, The wheel covers used the smallest of the 3 version of emblems for the '67 centers, the 10-spoke was the middle size and the Mag Star was the largest.

Richstang

Quote from: Bossbill on July 24, 2018, 12:47:04 PM
Very good data on the cap emblem variations, JD. Thanks. That clears up a lot of questions other than where do I find a set of real emblems?

Finding hubcaps in restorable condition has been tough. Finding correct wheels has been tougher.  I also need to find the post in which someone was selling the correct lug nuts.

I didn't know going in how difficult it was to do a correct steel wheel and hubcap combination!

I believe it is Jim Cowles from "Shelby Parts & Restorations" who offered the lug nuts for the hubcaps.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Bossbill on July 24, 2018, 12:47:04 PM

Bill ,I am sorry to say don't hold your breath . I have never seen any for sale separate from the hubcaps. I have being a Shelby enthusiast and parts hound for over 45 years.  I don't even know if they were ever serviced separately . If they were it wasn't for very long . I didn't think a GT500 flat gas cap emblem was serviced ether but one day I saw one. My point is the odds of you finding are slim . You would have better luck ether finding NOS or putting together a nice used set utilizing center half that still looks acceptable and pairing that with a nice outside rim. You could also go to the trouble of making up some emblems of your own starting from scratch. Using existing emblems and cutting them down has been discussed but it depends on your expectations if you would be satisfied. More power to you.