News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Pushrods for FE 428

Started by texas swede, November 08, 2023, 12:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

texas swede

Hi guys,
My friend Roland in Sweden is looking for specially made pushrods for his 428 FE that he is building.
This is the email from him. Can anybody help?

I have now tried to measure the length of the pushrods needed for my Ford FE 428.
It is equipped with hydraulic roller lifters and adjustable valve rockers.
The pushrods diameter should be min. 3/8" with min 0.08" walls.
The end at the lifter is:   5/16" ball.  OK
The end at the rocker is:  3/8" cup.
The length of the rods is 8.50"  (216 mm)
NOTE: The length is measured with a 5/16" cup against adjusting screw with 3/8" tip. 

shelbydoug

I think that I have a new set for hydraulic lifters but I'll have to check and get back to you.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

FL SAAC

we run comp cams roller rockers,  dont recall if we got them from them directly by calling in the size

or from Smith brothers 800-367-1533

best of luck
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

pbf777

I would say that he should be forwarded to either "Smith Bros. Pushrods" or "Trend Performance" so that he can communicate directly, this reducing the possibilities of miscommunication and wrong parts received.   It is important that both parties agree on how the measurements (particularly of length) are being assessed.    :)

Scott.

texas swede

Here is a drawing Roland made.
Texas Swede

FL SAAC

Quote from: texas swede on November 08, 2023, 06:59:46 PM
Here is a drawing Roland made.
Texas Swede

Fascinating  !

what ever the measurements are make sure that is what you want

once "your custom pushrods" are made to the measurements given, they are "your custom pushrods" and are non refundable

good luck
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

pbf777

Normally, in measuring pushrods which present "cup" type ends the best process is to place an appropriately sized ball bearing in the cup and include it's greater positive radius exposed into the calculation; then the known ball diameter can be subtracted in order to establish the actual working length involved; this as the cage height surround of the cup ends can vary based on manufacturer.   ;)

Scott.

Royce Peterson

Those are much shorter than stock in order to be compatible with the roller rockers. I resized the image so it can be seen. You will have to order them either from Smith Brothers or some other custom pushrod maker.

1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

shelbydoug

The set that I have here is ball on each end, so, nope, no got. Sorry.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

texas swede

Here are some more pictures from Roland,
Texas Swede

shelbydoug

The Sharps are a nice set up but that is a 427 set up. I think that there is no choice other then have custom push rods made for it?

There may be 427 push rods that are close but there are variables in those components that change dimensions enough to make custom push rods the only safe comprehensive solution.

Everything there can effect that including the base line of the camshaft.

If there was no adjustable push rod included in that rocker arm "kit" (there should have been) then the thing to do right now is get one and go through the procedure of measuring the necessary push rod lengths.

I did that on my two current engines, my 67 428 with solid lifter cam and my 68 347 (302) with solid lifters. Both with shaft mounted roller rocker arm set ups. Both took non-stock length push rods.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Vcode

Brent sells roller rockers that use the ball to ball push rods.
https://lykinsmotorsports.com/

roddster

Brent Lykins might check your match on the length.  Bear with it, he's the best.

But I'm going to add that the push rods I ordered took a few weeks to get as they are special length.

texas swede

Thanks everybody for your help. Roland added today that the length of the pushrod was made without preload on the lifter.
Yesterday, I called Comp Cams to speak with their technical advice department, but it was a very long waiting time so I decided to call next week instead.
Texas Swede

Royce Peterson

The gaskets that come with the Edelbrock heads are Fel - Pro made and equivalent to the Print - O - Leak. They are most unsatisfactory.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock