News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Help with oil cooler history

Started by tomhawk, November 07, 2023, 02:26:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomhawk

Hello I know Shelbys but not much about Boss 302s and Cobra Jets. I have some very early Boss parts. A 69 oil cooler adapter and a Nov. 10 1968 stamped oil cooler. I have looked but cannot find a 69 oil cooler adapter. They all seem to be 70s. Seems like a pretty early date on the oil cooler. Also has the Ford oval stamp the 70s that I have seen do not. Could they be part of the Trans Am race program? Pics included.  Thanks for any info.

Coralsnake

November of 1968 would be after 1969 production vehicles were on the road.

shelbydoug

The adapter that I have is a '70 as well.

I don't see what the significant difference is in function between the two but if you have a '69 B2 you certainly want the C9ZE number.

I am not aware of anything from Ford for small blocks before the B2 C9 version at all.

There is a Shelby version originally made for the Cobra Team race cars that is just a solid aluminum casting with no relief spring in it. There is also a Shelby version for the FE's.

As with all Ford parts, just the change in the Engineering numbers indicates some type of a design change which I am not aware of a necessity for?

The C9 is gonna' cost you more to buy one, if you can find one and the D0ZE isn't cheap either.

Here is my '70 version. I think it uses different Aeroquip adapters (and they are stamped Aeroquip) then the '69 but I'd have to put them side by side to look for casting differences? I don't see any though other then the length of the fitting on the oil output line being longer on the '70 version.

I don't have my Boss Cooler any more but I think that those are all the same and the only differences are in the hose configurations and the mounting brackets?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Special Ed

Your adapter maybe for a factory P/S car with that long tube adapter . !969 boss 302 never used an oil cooler even thou they had 3;91 gears and oil cooler  hose holes stamped in the rad support and both horns on rh side like drag pack cars. The  early adapter had c9ze #s then doze overstamped added but same adapter and was only  used on 70 boss 302s with w-code 4;30 cars.

shelbydoug

I presume that the short FL-1A oil filter is what is supposed to be used with this adapter but I do not know that as a fact?

Can any of you verify the oil filter application?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Special Ed

fl-1 regular filter as it just points downward with adapter instead of side of block.

6R07mi

we used to use the 1/2 Qt larger FL-299, same by-pass pressure, nipple thread.
I seem to recall a Ford engineer told us same filter manufacturer back in the day and same filter element as FL-1A

just for your consideration.

jim p
Former owner 6S283, 70 "Boss351", 66 GT 6F07, 67 FB GT
current: 66 GT former day 2 track car 6R07
20+ yrs Ford Parts Mgr, now Meritor Defense

Special Ed

fl 1a is a shorter filter came out in mid 70s and up .

shelbydoug

Quote from: 6R07mi on November 29, 2023, 12:15:41 PM
we used to use the 1/2 Qt larger FL-299, same by-pass pressure, nipple thread.
I seem to recall a Ford engineer told us same filter manufacturer back in the day and same filter element as FL-1A

just for your consideration.

jim p

That is a good recommendation but I'd need to verify that it doesn't hang too low.

It isn't just ground clearance there but there is the side tank for the T pan and the hoses to the cooler all in a very small area.

What set up were you running that filter with? I presume that you were using the B2 adapter pictures here?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!