News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Rear end part info needed

Started by cboss70, October 23, 2023, 11:44:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cboss70

I am going through my late 66 Shelby's 9" rear and had a few parts questions. I plan to use Rockauto since they seem to have a good selection:
1) I was looking at new axle bearings - are the ones shown as 1.378 inner and 2.834 outer diameter the correct ones (saw they at CJ Pony and Rockauto)?
2) Wheel cylinders for the rear. I've seen them listed as 7/8 bore and also .22225/.875 which may be the same - can someone confirm the correct ones to get (not sure if 8" and 9" are the same)
3) I saw 10 by 2 1/4 brake shoes at Rock auto (part B154).  What size are people using in original rears and what source are they getting them from?

I don't necc. need rebuilt factory originals and I'm open to getting things from alternate sources if you have part#/company recommendations. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: cboss70 on October 23, 2023, 11:44:18 AM
I am going through my late 66 Shelby's 9" rear and had a few parts questions. I plan to use Rockauto since they seem to have a good selection:
1) I was looking at new axle bearings - are the ones shown as 1.378 inner and 2.834 outer diameter the correct ones (saw they at CJ Pony and Rockauto)?
2) Wheel cylinders for the rear. I've seen them listed as 7/8 bore and also .22225/.875 which may be the same - can someone confirm the correct ones to get (not sure if 8" and 9" are the same)
3) I saw 10 by 2 1/4 brake shoes at Rock auto (part B154).  What size are people using in original rears and what source are they getting them from?

I don't necc. need rebuilt factory originals and I'm open to getting things from alternate sources if you have part#/company recommendations. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Wheel cylinders for the rear were 29/32. Many people have the originals rebuilt sleeved. You can use a smaller diameter wheel cylinder as a core and have it sleeved to 29/32 but you have to have the internal metal plunger once it is done. The 7/8 being smaller will work just not as intended. Most people use the original 2 1/2 brake shoes. You can find them on ebay or have original cores rebuilt.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

cboss70

Thanks!

And the axle bearings and seals- they are same as the 8inch correct?