News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Shifter Difference between GT350 and GT500

Started by texas swede, October 09, 2023, 09:56:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

texas swede

Hi guys,
Anybody knows the difference between the shifter on a GT350 and GT500. Also, the length of the shifter rods.
My friend Roland in Sweden has a shifter marked with a 4 and a C.
Texas Swede

tesgt350

Kent

can you please explain it more correct what you mean? Do you mean the handle? This is the same on the 350 and 500. The shifter assembly is different and easy to find out I will post you pictures how to find out which ones are small block and FE. The rods from what I know so far are the same except for the reverse.
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jet´s and some nice Mustang Fastback´s 67/68

430dragpack

The '67 big block reverse rod is different than the small block because the reverse lever in the shifter for a big block is different.  C7ZZ-7B112-A is the big block reverse rod and is ~15-1/2" long.  The other two rods for the big block shifter are the same as the small block shifter and the same as '65-'66 V8 Mustang. The 3/4 gear rod is ~18-1/4", the 1/2 gear rod is ~14".

tesgt350

Why would any of it be different between the two Cars, don't they use the same Top Loader or does the Small Block use the Small Spline Trans and the Big Block use the Big Spline Trans?It that is the Case, is the Reverse Lever in a different location on the Big Spline Trans than it is on the Small Block Trans?

430dragpack

Quote from: tesgt350 on October 09, 2023, 04:16:18 PM
Why would any of it be different between the two Cars, don't they use the same Top Loader or does the Small Block use the Small Spline Trans and the Big Block use the Big Spline Trans?It that is the Case, is the Reverse Lever in a different location on the Big Spline Trans than it is on the Small Block Trans?

Small block and 390 are small input spline, 428 is big spline. Transmissions are different between the three engines.  But input shaft size has nothing to do with shifter.  The tail housings are different between the small block vs. big block and also how/where the transmission sets in the car is a little different, that's why the big block uses a shifter adapter plate also and the small block doesn't.

430dragpack

This is a big block shifter with the angled reverse lever.  A small block will have all three levers line up with each other when the alignment pin is installed in the shifter.

azdriver

Have been told the two mounting holes toward the front of the shifter is a 68/up thing? Needed to line up with the adapter plate hole....

Pat

texas swede

Kent, I mean the shifter assembly and rods, not the lever.
Thank you all for your answers and picture.
Texas Swede

430dragpack

Quote from: azdriver on October 09, 2023, 06:37:57 PM
Have been told the two mounting holes toward the front of the shifter is a 68/up thing? Needed to line up with the adapter plate hole....

Pat

The '67 shifters have two mounting holes also.  This is off of car #591.

gt350bp

Just restored my 68 KR shifter and attached are photos of a small block and big block shifter and rods. Big block reverse shift rod is bent slightly different and has a bevel on the end for clearance. The slot in the shift rod for adjustment is slightly longer as the shifter reverse arm is bent vs. the small block is straight.

Don
gt350bp