News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

TVR Griffith

Started by Mustang 66, September 25, 2023, 05:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mustang 66

Look n 4 1962-63-64-65-66-67 -68-69-70-71-72 TVR Griffith, Vixen,Grantura Tuscan or m series

68stangcjfb

Does anyone know the address of the original place in Plainview NY?
68 1/2 CJ Mustang GT FB auto 3.91s 68 1/2 CJ Torino GT FB 3.91s 60 Thunderbird 64 Falcon Sprint conv. 4Spd 65 Falcon Sedan Delivery 67 Fairlane 500 SW 428 4Spd, 68 Torino 4dr 95 Thunderbird SC. 89 F250 Supercab 2wd, 98 Mustang conv. 99 Jeep Cherokee 2002 Thunderbird. 96 Harley FLSTN Heritage Special

tesgt350

There was a White one in Pensacola that would enter the Mustang & Ford Show there when it was at the Mall in March.  The owner said Shelby was involved in their Production like the Tiger.  Not sure it that is true or not.

shelbydoug

Here is a link that discusses the location.

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=9&t=1784648

To my knowledge Shelby was never involved in the TVR/Griffith conversion.

The cars have a history of being dangerous and unpredictable handling wise under power.

There are several deceased previous owners that I had met in the '70s at local SOA meets. Not deceased from natural causes. Deceased as in getting killed in the cars.

For me, they are just too small to fit into comfortably although I always liked them personally.

I think the 200 and 400, basically being just TVR conversions could have used more development time but they did turn into TVR going in house with a V8 powered car eventually and the Italia did begin there as well.

I looked for one about 15 years ago and could only find a few available in the US. Good luck with your search. No one seems to really know exactly what is left out there now.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

shelbydoug

Quote from: pbf777 on September 26, 2023, 10:51:01 AM
       Here's another:   https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/listing/1965-griffith-series-200-bedford-hills-ny-2680744

Scott.

This is Nick Saprano's place. He's about 35-40 minutes from me. He always has interesting cars available.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

68stangcjfb

Quote from: 68stangcjfb on September 26, 2023, 05:48:21 AM
Does anyone know the address of the original place in Plainview NY?
[/quote

141 Eileen Way, Syosset, and then 1478 Old Country Road, Plainview, both are close to the (White-)Griffith Ford dealership in Hicksville NY.

Those addresses are about 10 minutes from me!
68 1/2 CJ Mustang GT FB auto 3.91s 68 1/2 CJ Torino GT FB 3.91s 60 Thunderbird 64 Falcon Sprint conv. 4Spd 65 Falcon Sedan Delivery 67 Fairlane 500 SW 428 4Spd, 68 Torino 4dr 95 Thunderbird SC. 89 F250 Supercab 2wd, 98 Mustang conv. 99 Jeep Cherokee 2002 Thunderbird. 96 Harley FLSTN Heritage Special

Mustang 66

Should do like they hav done with cobras make continuation TVR Griffith or vixens or replicas

wcampbell

A few things to consider...

- 190ish made of the Series 200 mostly if not all titled as 1965
- Value is driven somewhat by the drivetrain you had (271HP or 225 HP)
- Early cars (pre car #35 where almost all 289 HIPOs) with the HIPO being an option therefore after
- No designation is given on the title of car identification tag about drivetrain
- The only way to determine if it's an original 289 HP drivetrain is if you have the original close ratio top loader that came in the car (otherwise it's wide ratio)
- Original TVR rear differentials are pretty weak and so it's not uncommon to see a swap for something stronger

wcampbell

I see a question of Shelby being involved - he wasn't other than a lunch with Jack Griffith were a tipsy and emboldened Jack declared his car could outrun a COBRA if he built it. The Griffith 200 was born with the help of Mark Donahue (of TRANS AM and COBRA racing fame) who was driving a 289 COBRA for Jack Griffith at the time. The cars were advertised to go 0-60 in 3.6 seconds, or they were free and they lived up to that claim. Unfortunately, being nothing but a good salesman Jack Griffith didn't see the need nor have the resources to refine the Griffith like Shelby whom used both Miles and Remington to refine the COBRA. Wire wheels remained and additional "speed and handling" equipment we saw added under Shelby's company did not take place under Jack's. In fact, Jack had money issues which led to the untimely demise of Griffith motorcars. You see today what the additional R&D on torque steer and suspension mods have yielded in Griffith during vintage race competition where they dominate COBRAs at places like Goodwood. A great vision and dream Jack had, but poor execution of the vision led to the Griffith's end.

Mustang 66

Still think someone needs to make replicas

wcampbell

And that has been attempted at some level by Mike Mooney - the current Griffith historian and registrar. Not sure where it lies today, but about 5 years ago he told me he was having a dozen or so chassis made to sell roller chassis "continuation" type cars.

Mustang 66

Would u know how to get n touch with him?