News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Older adults who regularly use the internet are at half the dementia risk

Started by deathsled, September 04, 2023, 10:50:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathsled

"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

FL SAAC

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

shelbydoug

I don't know about this? Sounds like one of those "inmates are running the institution" situations? ::)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

deathsled

Quote from: shelbydoug on September 05, 2023, 12:56:32 PM
I don't know about this? Sounds like one of those "inmates are running the institution" situations? ::)
There is a causation issue as both you and the article aptly point out.  Is it internet usage that is preserving cognitive ability or is it merely those who are not at risk of Alzheimer's are attracted to using the internet more.  As far as I am concerned, the internet is merely having a library at your immediate access so it allows for more reading and acquisition of information.  But don't throw out your books.  A keystroke or a database crash can delete valuable information as was exhibited when the SAAC site crashed. 

98SVT - was 06GT

The internet won't overcome genetics - great grandfather, grandmother, father all had dementia.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

deathsled

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on September 05, 2023, 02:15:10 PM
The internet won't overcome genetics - great grandfather, grandmother, father all had dementia.
Diet has some input though.  Dementia has been recently labeled as type 3 diabetes.  Sugar is a real killer and we consume too much.  Sugar has a very deleterious effect on all parts of the body including the brain.  "Genetics loads the gun.  Lifestyle pulls the trigger."I believe it can be fought.

shelbydoug

Quote from: deathsled on September 05, 2023, 02:06:35 PM
Quote from: shelbydoug on September 05, 2023, 12:56:32 PM
There is a causation issue as both you and the article aptly point out.  Is it internet usage that is preserving cognitive ability or is it merely those who are not at risk of Alzheimer's are attracted to using the internet more.  As far as I am concerned, the internet is merely having a library at your immediate access so it allows for more reading and acquisition of information.  But don't throw out your books.  A keystroke or a database crash can delete valuable information as was exhibited when the SAAC site crashed.

If it was all just that simple? It can be a big positive to those who use its benefits.

I wish that I had this ability to do research when I was in school. Books are great if you have access to the books that you need when you need them.

Cause and effect.

I do think that to an older physically less able individual, the Internet can be the entire Universe and maybe even a rebirth of sorts and add value to your life that would otherwise seem like it is coming to an end?  It is immediate, keeps you in touch, helps keep us informed and in the case of controversy, clarify both/all sides perspectives.

Makes some feisty too but still can't help me spell! That is hopeless. Totally.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Don Johnston

I think that I am losing my mind over the pattern of conflicting medical reports. 8)