News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

'68 GT500KR #3588 Updated post

Started by Bill Collins, August 26, 2023, 07:18:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Collins

With the recent interest in Maroon '68 Shelbys, I thought I would post this KR that I have for sale. See the discussion of Maroon cars here:
SAAC Forum »The Cars »Vintage Shelby Related Literature and Collectibles »Maroon 68 KR Model

Also, Revology recently delivered its first KR and the color chosen by their customer was Royal Maroon - see it at this link:
https://revologycars.com/car/1968-shelby-gt500-kr/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=**LP%20Branded&utm_term=Revology&utm_content=Revology

KR #3588 was purchased in 1979 by a long time friend and customer. Those of you who have been around for a while may recall that at that time, we did not worship at the altar of originality as we do today. SAAC had not yet instituted a judged concours and convention shows were popular vote affairs. So, owners often modified their cars to suit their particular taste.

So it is with #3588. Originally Lime Gold, the owner changed it to Royal Maroon when he redid it in 1986. He also liked the look of the stencil callout on the Boss 429, so he eliminated the rocker stripes and had the GT500KR text done as a standalone in that style. Underhood, it is minimally detailed and underneath not at all. Other changes included a custom fabricated muffler bypass system and the addition of ten spoke wheels.

Other than these changes, 3588 is a very intact, high integrity example. Actual mileage is about 59,500. The paint remains in very good condition with only a few minor flaws. The body metal and fiberglass are all factory original with no accident or rust repair. The interior is original with exception of a period Ford AM/FM radio. All Shelby unique interior equipment is intact. The spare tire has been replaced with a space saver style.

The engine is the original matching number, the C6 transmission is the factory iron tail, and the differential is 3:50 locking with nodular case and 31 spline axles. The original C8OF-AB carb and cast iron exhaust manifolds are intact on the engine. Some of the other unique KR equipment was removed in 1986 but retained by the owner and will accompany the car. These include the air cleaner/snorkel assembly.  I am preparing a list of the takeoff items that will be included.

The overall character of this car is that of a 1980's street driver. Built to run hard and long, #3588 has done SAAC convention track time at Charlotte, Pocono, Mid-Ohio and Watkins Glen. While a hand full on the road courses, it really showed its stuff on the high bank tracks, hitting a greater than expected 150+MPH. The owner has an independent auto repair shop and has maintained it in fully operational condition.

#3588 is listed in the 2020 SAAC registry of 1968 Shelbys on page 879. There is a photo of a yellow KR in the listing; it is not this car. 3588 was its original lime gold until the 1986 maroon respray, and photos of it when Lime are available. It was not, as inferred in the Registry text, a special order maroon car.

I am offering this KR at $165,000. I have ordered the Marti Report and Shelby factory paperwork; they will be available upon arrival. The car is at my facility and available for inspection by appointment.

Bill Collins
Bill Collins Collector Fords
Harrisburg, PA 17111

717-648-6600
bill@bcfords.com
Enthusiast since 1965, SAAC charter member since 1975 and Regional Rep since 1985, GT350 Owner since 1971, 289 Cobra owner 1979-2016, Ford GT owner 2006 - 2017

Bill Collins

Enthusiast since 1965, SAAC charter member since 1975 and Regional Rep since 1985, GT350 Owner since 1971, 289 Cobra owner 1979-2016, Ford GT owner 2006 - 2017

Mongo

no one has contacted SAAC or the Registrar (me) since Jan 19, 1995 to "update the info in the file" until this post. I took over the 1968 Shelby Registrty in year 2000. So now since i'm seeing this post on the saacforum i'm adding this information provided! best regards Vincent 'vinman" Liska 1968 Shelby Registrar.

Prototype

a very interesting period Day2 piece time-capsule .
70's street machine.
glad you shared this here Bill

Bill Collins

Vinman, thanks for updating the Registry info on #3588, glad my info was helpful. I received some additional info on the car since my original post, so have updated it to include that.