News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

68 GT350 Intake questions

Started by Rcbach302, August 04, 2023, 11:11:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbydoug on August 06, 2023, 07:25:29 PM
Here is a period picture of a 302 TP on a pallet at Smokey Yunic's shop. It doesn't look like it has been torn down or having any intake studs.

Phil. Those pics look identical to mine.
Cool period pictures but most likely a Smokey assembled engine. A Ford assembled engine (crate engine)would look different . Also Ford assembled TP engines were proven on the track as not durable.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

I'm still searching for a picture of a factory delivered small block with an aluminum intake manifold not a Shelby PERIOD.

I would tend to agree with you guys that "procedures are procedures" but so far no one can document that for sure.

At some point I'd suspect that a picture is going to appear from a totally obscure, unrelated subject. It just hasn't happened yet but I think at this point the use of the studs on the intake installation by Ford is undeniable?

The only suggestion to me that "Smokie's engine" has been "messed with" are the fuel lines.

If it was dropped off just for dyno work, why take it apart first?

HOWEVER, what is going on with the oil pan? I can only see a small portion of the front but it suggests some kind of a cast pan with cooling fins like the Cobra roadster pan?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

Here is a period picture of a 302 TP on a pallet at Smokey Yunic's shop. It doesn't look like it has been torn down or having any intake studs.

Cal custom oil pans had fins in the front , non Ford oil filter ,65 timing cover and after market 65 style water pump suggest otherwise to me.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

Quote from: Bob Gaines on August 07, 2023, 09:37:06 AM

Cal custom oil pans had fins in the front , non Ford oil filter ,65 timing cover and after market 65 style water pump suggest otherwise to me.

I'll keep looking but it is easier to find 'Cammer pics then these Tunnel ports.

I'm not sure why the engine would be reassembled with different parts particularly considering the caption?

Is anyone sure what that engine should be assembled with? Randy is the only one I can think of with TP hands on experience?

Looking through a couple of videos, one with flow numbers, I'm surprised that the flow numbers are so low. Actually this adds to a discussion that I had with Randy about real flow numbers on the SB race heads, stock Boss 302 and current aftermarket offerings.

Those numbers are in support of what he was saying, i.e., that full race SB heads were in the 240 to 250 range depending on who ported them and stock 289hp heads were around 195.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbydoug on August 08, 2023, 08:26:01 AM

I'll keep looking but it is easier to find 'Cammer pics then these Tunnel ports.

I'm not sure why the engine would be reassembled with different parts particularly considering the caption?

Is anyone sure what that engine should be assembled with? Randy is the only one I can think of with TP hands on experience?

Looking through a couple of videos, one with flow numbers, I'm surprised that the flow numbers are so low. Actually this adds to a discussion that I had with Randy about real flow numbers on the SB race heads, stock Boss 302 and current aftermarket offerings.

Those numbers are in support of what he was saying, i.e., that full race SB heads were in the 240 to 250 range depending on who ported them and stock 289hp heads were around 195.
If it is as you say " period picture of a 302 TP on a pallet at Smokey Yunic's shop" then it is more logical that it would reflect Smokey's handiwork in his own shop rather then Fords. He had a reputation of always making a better mouse trap so it is no wonder that he would opened up a otherwise stock Ford delivered pallet TP engine to try and make it better.  The various odd parts seem to support that conclusion. 

shelbydoug

Quote from: Bob Gaines on August 08, 2023, 04:57:16 PM
Quote from: shelbydoug on August 08, 2023, 08:26:01 AM

If it is as you say " period picture of a 302 TP on a pallet at Smokey Yunic's shop" then it is more logical that it would reflect Smokey's handiwork in his own shop rather then Fords. He had a reputation of always making a better mouse trap so it is no wonder that he would opened up a otherwise stock Ford delivered pallet TP engine to try and make it better.  The various odd parts seem to support that conclusion.

Wellllll...ok but that is your conclusion.  ;)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

TA Coupe

When I was at Smokey's auction back in 1988 he said that teams and manufacturers would drop off engines for him to look and figure out why they failed or how to make them better. As partial payment they would usually tell him to keep the parts. I have some pictures I took at the auction if anyone is interested I can try to find them and post?

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

shelbydoug

Quote from: TA Coupe on August 10, 2023, 05:19:55 PM
When I was at Smokey's auction back in 1988 he said that teams and manufacturers would drop off engines for him to look and figure out why they failed or how to make them better. As partial payment they would usually tell him to keep the parts. I have some pictures I took at the auction if anyone is interested I can try to find them and post?

Roy

post away
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

TA Coupe

The site would not let me post any pics so I put them on Imgur.com. the pics are ones I  took at Smokey's 1988
auction and the black and white one Doug linked to in his post.

1988 Smokey Yunick auction pics https://imgur.com/a/XIBT256

Roy
Overkill is just enough.

pbf777

Looking at the 5th photo in Roy's presentation, I believe it is the Boss 429 NASCAR Box Intake with the green tag that we ended up with.  Probably should have bid more aggressively on other stuff, but back then Smoky was wanting today's prices (or even better  ::)) for the stuff, which at the time was a bit tough to swallow!  :o   But then, one could have, as it has proven over time, payed the too much being expected prices then, and just utilized the defense of:  "Paying too much today, just means I'm ahead of the curve!"   8)

Sorry for wandering off changing the subject (it's all Roy's fault!  ::)), now back to your regularly scheduled programing.   :)

Scott.

shelbydoug

Quote from: pbf777 on August 30, 2023, 12:17:41 PM
      Looking at the 5th photo in Roy's presentation, I believe it is the Boss 429 NASCAR Box Intake with the green tag that we ended up with.  Probably should have bid more aggressively on other stuff, but back then Smoky was wanting today's prices (or even better  ::)) for the stuff, which at the time was a bit tough to swallow!  :o   But then, one could have, as it has proven over time, payed the too much being expected prices then, and just utilized the defense of:  "Paying too much today, just means I'm ahead of the curve!"   8)

Sorry for wandering off changing the subject (it's all Roy's fault!  ::)), now back to your regularly scheduled programing.   :)

Scott.

In many ways, Smokey was a victim of his own press. Cowboy hats were in at the time. The only differences would be if the hats were white or black.

By the same token, I attempted to deal with Bud More a few times. I could never get anything from him. It would bounce back and forth that I was either "a nobody and why should I HELP you" or "you might be my competitor".

All things considered and the prevalence of the gun community in the US, how did these people survive without someone shooting them?

I used to wonder where AJ Foyt got his attitude from but it seems kind of obvious to me now. You simply can't be a pussycat in that business and maybe shootouts at high noon were kept under wraps?

I always admired Shelby for being able to put up with this stuff and in fact flourish from it. The times I was around him he was never offish but he did make my wife uncomfortable worrying about getting stuck in the elevator with him in the hotel.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

TA Coupe

Hey Scott, my wife says everything bad that happens is my fault.
Now Et tu Scott.  I was on a trip back east one time and she blamed me for a dish that broke while I was gone 😵‍💫

Roy
Overkill is just enough.

pbf777

Quote from: TA Coupe on August 30, 2023, 10:14:02 PM
.......my wife says everything bad that happens is my fault.

Yeah, but that's always scenario when married!   ::)

Scott.

shelbydoug

Quote from: TA Coupe on August 30, 2023, 10:14:02 PM
Hey Scott, my wife says everything bad that happens is my fault.
Now Et tu Scott.  I was on a trip back east one time and she blamed me for a dish that broke while I was gone 😵‍💫

Roy

I never broke anything at home while I was away. Not yet anyway.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

TA Coupe

That's because you don't have the power of mental telepathy like I do🤣

Roy
Overkill is just enough.