News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

66 Hertz leaf springs

Started by tomhawk, June 29, 2023, 12:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomhawk

Has anyone seen orange paint on their leaf springs. Just removed mine yesterday. Found the usual yellow and green stipes. Then on the pair is an orange stripe on the spring and rear clamp. Including a pic hard to see but gives an idea where the orange is. Springs have some rust, but can clearly see orange paint. I have seen orange paint on hipo flywheels and cranks. May indicate springs are for a K code car? Also have noticed on restored early Shelbys looks like the yellow and green paint has been sprayed on. Mine have always been a brushed stripe.

Coralsnake

Considering you have what appears to be orange on the banding as well...Im going with not factory, but Im sure you will get some other ideas

J_Speegle

Guess you have already looked and confirmed the engineering numbers

The paint ID markings for the same springs would be the same if it were on a Mustang or Shelby. Given the location of the orange paint it appears that it was likely someone with a spray rattle can painting them for some unkown reason. Seen hundreds and orange on a 66 Mustang or Shelby spring is not typical
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

tomhawk

I believe its factory. Only on the side of the spring and band. No other orange paint on the springs. Also the paint is under all the crud. Just looks like a brush stroke of orange paint. Just my opinion and will go back on the springs when restored.  Thanks

Bob Gaines

Of course it is your car and you can do what you want but I am with Jeff in that it believing it is not a factory marking typical or otherwise. I like Jeff have seen many dozens of original unrestored that don't have the orange. Just expect push back if trying to convince others.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

Quote from: tomhawk on June 29, 2023, 02:04:29 PM
I believe its factory. ..............

Just for conversational purposes what do you base that on?  A mistake by a worker at the company that supplied the springs?

As for the green and yellow ID the use of stripes verses spray dots depends on production period from what I found over the decades of documenting these details
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

tomhawk

Too bad I cant show in person. I also have had many early Shelbys. Paint is in same location on both springs on the outside on the last clamp and some on the springs. It is not spray paint. Have seen many paint daubs and stripes just looks factory to me. Maybe will show to Rodney Harold before restoration.  Will retain pics to show original condition. My car is untouched unrestored unregistered since 1978. First time springs have been off since new, Car is black and gold. Never painted orange. Thanks for the comments Just like to add the orange is underneath the dirt and crud on bare spring. Also I do value every opinion if I didnt I wouldnt ask. So thanks for the help. Just want to build the car as best and correct as possible.

CharlesTurner

Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Jhockman

Watch how long you soak them.. The paint came off my driveshaft from evapo-rust.