News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

When a G.T. 500 owner encounters a G.T. 350 owner

Started by deathsled, May 28, 2023, 08:27:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathsled

"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

67 GT350

RARE  Signature Delete

Side-Oilers

Clever video.   Let's apply the same "slower-but-more-fun" rule to why we love ICE (versus EV) cars.

I just bought a new Porsche GT3 (502 hp normally-aspirated 4.0 liter with 9000 rpm redline) with the 6-speed stick, rather than the much quicker but not as much fun 911 Turbo S, which comes only with paddles.

To me, the fun of three-pedals far surpasses the fun of 0-60 mph a half-second quicker. Yes, even though the GT3 has a real world market price about $75,000 MORE than the Turbo.

Along those same lines, two other cars to contrast:  My pal's new gazillion horsepower Lucid Air will bury my Kirkham 427 in acceleration, handling, braking and just about every other dynamic test.  But, the Kirkham's aluminum 482-inch side-oiler absolutely rules the world with its sound.  It's a REAL CAR. 

IMO, the Lucid/Plaid/etc. are NOT real cars. They are some kind of mysterious spaceships that just happen to connect to the ground via tires.  They CAN'T be real cars, because they make NO SOUND, other than the grind of regenerative braking and the occasional chiming of about a hundred warning bells.  100% artificial intellect.  Zero % soul.

Interestingly, after only 3,000 miles of ownership, my pal is ready to dump his Lucid and buy something like a BMW M5.  His reasoning:  "Once the thrill wears-off from showing all your friends its blinding acceleration and non-stop party trick gizmos, the Lucid is not all that fun to drive. Because it's silent. One of our senses is being completely left out of the experience. To me, that matters."

Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

98SVT - was 06GT

My Mercedes Smart Car had a clutch like the GT500. It was a gray market car with the increased performance over the US model. It reminded me of driving a 36hp VW.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

deathsled

Quote from: Side-Oilers on May 29, 2023, 12:04:38 AM
Clever video.   Let's apply the same "slower-but-more-fun" rule to why we love ICE (versus EV) cars.

I just bought a new Porsche GT3 (502 hp normally-aspirated 4.0 liter with 9000 rpm redline) with the 6-speed stick, rather than the much quicker but not as much fun 911 Turbo S, which comes only with paddles.

To me, the fun of three-pedals far surpasses the fun of 0-60 mph a half-second quicker. Yes, even though the GT3 has a real world market price about $75,000 MORE than the Turbo.

Along those same lines, two other cars to contrast:  My pal's new gazillion horsepower Lucid Air will bury my Kirkham 427 in acceleration, handling, braking and just about every other dynamic test.  But, the Kirkham's aluminum 482-inch side-oiler absolutely rules the world with its sound.  It's a REAL CAR. 

IMO, the Lucid/Plaid/etc. are NOT real cars. They are some kind of mysterious spaceships that just happen to connect to the ground via tires.  They CAN'T be real cars, because they make NO SOUND, other than the grind of regenerative braking and the occasional chiming of about a hundred warning bells.  100% artificial intellect.  Zero % soul.

Interestingly, after only 3,000 miles of ownership, my pal is ready to dump his Lucid and buy something like a BMW M5.  His reasoning:  "Once the thrill wears-off from showing all your friends its blinding acceleration and non-stop party trick gizmos, the Lucid is not all that fun to drive. Because it's silent. One of our senses is being completely left out of the experience. To me, that matters."

Pics of the GT3? Sounds like a real machine for the road.

Side-Oilers

Richard:  Because you asked about GT3 photos, here's a few.

911 GT3, 6-speed.  Black over black/saddle interior with all the good options.

I chose the Touring model instead of the standard GT3, because I'm too old to be seen in a street car with a giant rear wing.  Everything else about the Touring is identical to the winged GT3. 

Drove from the Dallas Porsche dealer to home in SoCal.  High winds and huge blowing tumbleweeds in New Mexico stuffed a bunch of twigs into the front radiators at 100+ mph.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Previous:
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1957 T-Bird E-model

deathsled

Thanks for the video, Van!  California desert.  Porsche eating asphalt.  What's not to love?  The engine really hums a racing melody to me.

Side-Oilers

Hey Richard,
I decided to take the video down. Glad you got to watch it first.

I noticed the GPS screen shows the road we Possibly, Might Have or Not Been On. So, for reasons of "flying low and avoiding..." I deleted it. 
Current:

Previous:
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1957 T-Bird E-model

deathsled

Quote from: Side-Oilers on May 30, 2023, 05:32:04 PM
Hey Richard,
I decided to take the video down. Glad you got to watch it first.

I noticed the GPS screen shows the road we Possibly, Might Have or Not Been On. So, for reasons of "flying low and avoiding..." I deleted it.
Smart move.  Some prosecutors and law enforcement are bored so they troll around for those very things.  I did find it impressive that you reached the posted speed limit and no more.

Side-Oilers

Of course.   No need to speed, ever.  I'm afraid of fast cars.
Current:

Previous:
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1957 T-Bird E-model

FL SAAC

Nice video with the pretty fellas

Give me the 500 as it will outperform on the circuit and 1/4 mile track that little 350 voodoo grenade motor

GT350 as I have mentioned before  are obsolete

Nice cars, row row row but will never ever touch a GT500
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert