Author Topic: Passing of Jim Losee, Edelbrock employee  (Read 559 times)

68countrysedan

• View Profile
Passing of Jim Losee, Edelbrock employee
« on: April 27, 2023, 11:54:33 PM »
Recently, Jim Losee, automotive enthusiast, passed away. Few outside of automotive publishing and the aftermarket will recognize his name. Never an owner, but Shelbys and Fords were often topics of conversation.

His life was cars and the people involved with them. How so? In the ‘70s he worked at Dayco, Harold Daigh’s Long Beach boutique speed shop. Besides turning wrenches, he initiated The Factory Pipeline newsletter about GM performance parts. You may have seen his tech editor byline in Popular Hot Rodding and Car Craft. He worked at Edelbrock as a phone tech representative, media contact plus various tech assignments. At the start of the dot com boom, he was hired as a consultant for CarParts.com.

His first modified car was a Pinto fitted with a Lotus twin cam head. Over the decades, there was a 69 Hugger Orange Z/28, a Buick Regal T-Type, pickups, and 5.0 Mustangs. He built engines.

Meeting him, he was bigger than life combined with a huge smile and a ready handshake.

Enthusiasts -vehicle make is immaterial- and people who knew him have lost a car guy wrapped in a gentle soul. 

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Passing of Jim Losee, Edelbrock employee
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2023, 08:09:21 AM »
Our sincerest condolences to all of his friends and family
R. I. P.
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
Re: Passing of Jim Losee, Edelbrock employee
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2023, 11:31:01 PM »
Jim passed yesterday morning, at his home near San Antonio, TX. He was a very close friend of mine for nearly 40 years. We worked together at Popular Hot Rodding in the ‘80s, and stayed in touch in the decades since.

I visited him last Sept, and he had recently had a tough run of luck. His house burned down, he had a stroke and a heart attack, and broke his foot so severely that he wasn’t allowed to walk for many months. But, he still had his giant mischievous grin and hardy laugh. 

We recounted dozens of our often crazed fast-driving competitions, on the track and off.  The time he passed me on a Michigan Interstate by speeding through a rest stop at over 80 mph, deftly avoiding vehicles and humans, and managing to merge back onto the highway ahead of me, is something I can’t even explain. But, he did it.

I used to say that Jim could make a car do things it was never designed to do. That was his usual driving style: Foot to the floor, his big ham-hands thrashing away at the steering wheel, and simply driving more loose than hooked-up. As you can imagine, riding with him was a dashboard-gripping experience.

Jim liked to play the role of a tough guy (his forearms were nearly as big as the average guy’s thigh) but he was actually a wonderful fellow with a heart of gold.

RIP, Jimmy, my ol’ friend.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2023, 12:07:46 AM by Side-Oilers »
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick