News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

On the road again

Started by deathsled, July 01, 2018, 10:47:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathsled

Thanks gentlemen.  Front end had wrong springs many moons ago.  (I have photos somewhere but it is a bit embarrassing.  I might make my car blush.  Oh wait a minute, she's in a permanent state of blushing.)  Red looked like a 4 X 4 for off road.  Baja anyone?  I did the spring job myself for a change.  Never tried before but it worked.  I bought a custom spring compressor that looked like a shock and bolted it in.  I used 475 pound springs for the front, my philosophy being that I didn't want the chassis banged around over bumps and to preserve the body as much as possible.  I have a pair of 625 pound but they just seem too much.   The front springs on there now have a 1 inch drop.  Rear leaf springs have aluminum lowering  blocks from Cobra Automotive.  They make great stuff!  That's where the trans am lug nuts came from as well.  I am inclined to buy another set just to have them.  Big red is concourse anti-matter I know.  A bit of automotive sacrilege going on here.  But I'm okay with it.  Looking forward to take my 9 year old son for a drive.  He's not been in it since the car has become a fully operational road terror.  Tires on front are 205 60R 15 and rear are 215 60R 15.  Everything just seems to clear just right with zero rubbing issues.

Addendum:  Serendipity found this ride height.  Not through any great planning or measuring on my part.  And the tire shop made the best recommendation for tire size based on the stance.  So it worked out in a spectacular way for me.  Just has that slight jack in the back like days of old.  Tires are Kumo.  Yeah I know, another blasphemy but they served me well since 2012.  I was desperate to get the car on the road before I kicked off.  Who knows how long any of us have anyway.  Maybe Avons are the next buy.  Tires are only good for what, four to six years even if you don't drive on them, right?
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

BGlover67

Quote from: deathsled on July 01, 2018, 12:07:30 PM
How did you shrink them?

I added a piece of code into the BB code for the image.  First you should upload the picture into the SAAC Forum gallery.  Its very easy.  Afterwards it gives you a 'BB code' which will display your image in the post.

[img]http://www.saacforum.com/gallery/.....

By inserting "height=850 width=1100", you can decrease the image size displayed.  If you play with changing the ratio and hit preview button, you can see how it changes the image.

[img height=850 width=1100]http://www.saacforum.com/gallery/.....
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

that is one evil looking rental car :o
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

98SVT - was 06GT

Still using the lowered upper control arm holes? I made a jig and drilled those after The Marque ran the specs.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

deathsled

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on July 01, 2018, 08:54:44 PM
Still using the lowered upper control arm holes? I made a jig and drilled those after The Marque ran the specs.

You can count on it. Why change a good thing?
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"