Author Topic: SAAC members - shipping is as much part of the deal as payment  (Read 4155 times)

Bossgold

• View Profile
Re: SAAC members - shipping is as much part of the deal as payment
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2023, 02:01:06 AM »
What did you buy?

How much was it?

What was missing or broken?

Did you pay for shipping insurance?

Do you have photo's of the box damage?

Without facts your post becomes a strawman argument.

@427hunter - I decided to post to your comment so here are the facts :

What did you buy? 4 Koni Shocks

How much was it?  $ 400 plus sellers shipping fee of $ 25

What was missing or broken? 4 Koni shocks shipped in a USPS Large flat rate USPS box. Rear shock shaft ripped through the corner of box and 2 of the 4 shocks fell out. 18 pounds were shipped in this box and 9.8 lbs arrived. Due to tracking delay and experience, I determined there was a problem so I went directly to the post office to pick up package vs wait for delivery. Once there, I took pictures and videos of Postal employee opening the box for me. In case this information was needed for the seller and USPS.

Did you pay for shipping insurance? Seller charged me $ 25 dollars and promised to pack the package well. Minimum insurance $ 100 was paid by seller

Do you have photo's of the box damage? Yes, photos and a video.

Without facts your post becomes a strawman argument. These are the facts and so its time to move on. I determined after phone calls and text messages that it was best to come to an agreement and for me to go forward

« Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 02:35:21 AM by Bossgold »

tesgt350

• View Profile
    • BLACK HAT PERFORMANCE
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2023, 11:28:04 AM »
Did you pay for shipping insurance? Seller charged me $ 25 dollars and promised to pack the package well. Minimum insurance $ 100 was paid by seller.

Yesterday I just shipped a Package by USPS Priority Mail in the Large Flat Rate Box for $17.10 and it Includes a Tracking Number and $100 of Insurance. 

427hunter

• SAAC Member
  • Caretaker of 1969 gt500 #602 and 1966 gt350 #853
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2023, 12:55:48 PM »
What did you buy?

How much was it?

What was missing or broken?

Did you pay for shipping insurance?

Do you have photo's of the box damage?

Without facts your post becomes a strawman argument.

@427hunter - I decided to post to your comment so here are the facts :

What did you buy? 4 Koni Shocks

How much was it?  $ 400 plus sellers shipping fee of $ 25

What was missing or broken? 4 Koni shocks shipped in a USPS Large flat rate USPS box. Rear shock shaft ripped through the corner of box and 2 of the 4 shocks fell out. 18 pounds were shipped in this box and 9.8 lbs arrived. Due to tracking delay and experience, I determined there was a problem so I went directly to the post office to pick up package vs wait for delivery. Once there, I took pictures and videos of Postal employee opening the box for me. In case this information was needed for the seller and USPS.

Did you pay for shipping insurance? Seller charged me $ 25 dollars and promised to pack the package well. Minimum insurance $ 100 was paid by seller

Do you have photo's of the box damage? Yes, photos and a video.

Without facts your post becomes a strawman argument. These are the facts and so its time to move on. I determined after phone calls and text messages that it was best to come to an agreement and for me to go forward

You are owed a refund 100% - I am glad you explained the issue because the last thing we need is more drama here. Too often petty nonsense gets exaggerated, clearly that is not the case here.
“You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means”

Inigo Montoya

“This life’s hard, man, but it’s harder if you’re stupid”

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2023, 01:07:07 PM »
Why 100%?

He got half of what he expected? Shouldnt 50% be acceptable?

Asking for a friend

427hunter

• SAAC Member
  • Caretaker of 1969 gt500 #602 and 1966 gt350 #853
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2023, 01:08:51 PM »
Why 100%?

He got half of what he expected? Shouldnt 50% be acceptable?

Asking for a friend

I am saying return the two and get a refund.
“You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means”

Inigo Montoya

“This life’s hard, man, but it’s harder if you’re stupid”

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2023, 01:52:39 PM »
That would probably be fair

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2023, 03:57:21 PM »
If a buyer pays for shipping and also pays extra for insurance is the person that pays extra for the insurance supposed to deal with the claim since they paid for that or is it the the seller? Of course this is if the package was properly packed which in the case of the shocks it arguably was not IMO and proper amount of insurance has been offered and paid for.  It is a given that the right thing to do is for the seller to always assist the buyer in any claim process regardless. I know that when I got freight from a supplier and there was damage I had to file a claim with the carrier.  It wasn't the supplier that filed the claim. In that case there was not extra paid for insurance but the carrier was expected to get it to you undamaged if properly packed. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2023, 09:47:45 PM »
If a buyer pays for shipping and also pays extra for insurance is the person that pays extra for the insurance supposed to deal with the claim since they paid for that or is it the the seller? Of course this is if the package was properly packed which in the case of the shocks it arguably was not IMO and proper amount of insurance has been offered and paid for.  It is a given that the right thing to do is for the seller to always assist the buyer in any claim process regardless. I know that when I got freight from a supplier and there was damage I had to file a claim with the carrier.  It wasn't the supplier that filed the claim. In that case there was not extra paid for insurance but the carrier was expected to get it to you undamaged if properly packed.

I have had only one issue with an item that I sold and shipped using UPS. It was insured for the full amount of sale but they denied paying the claim.

They said that the item MUST conform to the rules of shipping, which they supplied to me.

In this case they said that the item was not shipped in the special original manufacturers shipping container. Therefore they were not responsible for the damage.

That is pretty difficult to do considering that it was 50 years old and who would have the original packaging at that point?

So in this case since I was the seller and shipper, I had to refund the buyer $1,100, which became more then a total loss on the item since I had paid for the shipping also.

So in my view, it just isn't as black and white clear as stated above. Also UPS now limits loss claims to a maximum of $999. Fedex will go to $1,250. USPS is $800.

It's a Kangaroo Court since they are the ones that decide and your insurance payment has little or nothing to do with it.

In the case of multiple items like the shocks, the safest thing to do is box them individually rather then together. Since that will cost more, like double for two shocks, you rarely can get paid for that by the buyer.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 09:57:02 PM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bossgold

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2023, 09:55:13 PM »
@Bob Gaines  @Coralsnake @427hunter  No drama here anymore. My first purchase on the SAAC forum where the Koni shocks. My second purchase was a 15/16 front sway bar from Bob Gaines.

The sway bar purchase from Bob was perfect, packed well and Bob and I communicated regularly...it was a a great transaction. Thanks Bob!

I wish I could say the same about the Koni shocks but I wanted to respond with facts...and no Drama.

I'm a regular on the Boss registry and have been purchasing parts from back in 2012. Never had a problem and if something needed to be returned cause of damage/missing the seller usually said send it back for full refund and seller would cover the return shipping or work out an agreement that considered the buyers situation. That is why I drove to the Post office and made the effort to show the damaged Box and missing items - full transparency. No sense in beating a dead horse I just wanted members to see what my experience was like - time to move on.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 10:01:26 PM by Bossgold »

TA Coupe

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2023, 10:58:59 PM »
Was it bought from the SAAC or Boss forum?

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2023, 08:57:12 AM »
If you look at the pictures and do a search its not hard to figure out 😉

Hey $#!T happens, its the response that counts

Bossgold

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2023, 10:00:43 AM »
@coralsnake - Bingo.  It happens, but its how you treat a member and make the effort - that is responsive, fair for the buyer (not what the seller thinks is fair) and considerate.  Cause as I said before, Seller was paid promptly and responsible to ship the item but the buyer didn't receive his property as promised - simple. Reputation is worth way more than 2 shocks and $ 25 dollars in shipping.

Lincoln tech

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2023, 10:23:02 AM »
Did you ever get any response from the seller about this mess ?

psessa35

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2023, 11:18:35 AM »
Good morning guys

Just saw this thread. Everybody knows me here as I sold and bought many items with no issues. I sold 4 shocks and they were packed very well (Bubble wrap, extra cardboard, etc.) but from the pictures I received from the buyer it looks as if USPS drove over the box with the truck and threw them down the stairs!! When the buyer contacted me I was traveling for work out of state. As soon as I returned I filed a claim with USPS (the purchase did not include insurance but when you ship Priority Mail they include $100 worth of coverage) and contacted the buyer. The buyer purchased 4 Koni shocks for $425 including shipping. I refunded $325 to the buyer and let him keep the 2 shocks for $100. I would have no problem selling to Joe again in the future seemed like a very nice guy just an unfortunate situation. Many members on the forum have been a great help with the restoration of my cars and in the end I want everyone to be happy!