Author Topic: car continues to run  (Read 993 times)

car continues to run
« on: February 16, 2023, 02:02:49 PM »
This is a new one for me. 

69 GT500, with ALL new, rebuilt or fully restored components.

Finally got the car running for the first time in over 19 years.  The problem occurred that after starting the engine, timing it and setting the fuel mixture, when I went to shut off the engine (with the key), the car continued to run at idle speed. Moved the key from run, to off, to acc, back to off - no change - it continued to run.  I had to disconnect the battery to shut it off.   And I am not talking the dieseling/run on effect for when a motor is refusing to shut off.  It is running and will accelerate with the key off. Thoughts/suggestions on where to start troubleshooting.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: car continues to run
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2023, 02:06:56 PM »
This is a new one for me. 

69 GT500, with ALL new, rebuilt or fully restored components.

Finally got the car running for the first time in over 19 years.  The problem occurred that after starting the engine, timing it and setting the fuel mixture, when I went to shut off the engine (with the key), the car continued to run at idle speed. Moved the key from run, to off, to acc, back to off - no change - it continued to run.  I had to disconnect the battery to shut it off.   And I am not talking the dieseling/run on effect for when a motor is refusing to shut off.  It is running and will accelerate with the key off. Thoughts/suggestions on where to start troubleshooting.
That is what happens typically if the timing is too far advanced.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

s2ms

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • 6S1757 Info
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2023, 02:09:54 PM »
Try replacing the solenoid. Had this problem a few years ago, new solenoid did the trick...
Dave - 6S1757

Bill Collins

• '65 GT350 006 owner since 1971
    • View Profile
Car continues to run
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2023, 02:28:21 PM »
I have experienced this problem on cars with reproduction solenoids. The internal magnet jams and does not return to the off position.

Immediate fix is to grab a large plastic handled screwdriver and whack the solenoid hard with the blunt end. Permanent fix is to install an OEM Autolite solenoid.
Enthusiast since 1965, SAAC charter member since 1975 and Regional Rep since 1985, GT350 Owner since 1971, 289 Cobra owner 1979-2016, Ford GT owner 2006 - 2017

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2023, 02:39:32 PM »
Does the car keep running, like the starter is engaged?

Could be the starter solenoid is sticking or does it just continue running with out engaging flywheel?

Then either the ignition switch is bad or the solenoid (where the starter /battery cables meet) will cause an engine to keep running. 

Good luck
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

greekz

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2023, 03:17:24 PM »
I had that problem a few years back and it was the ignition switch. 
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2023, 03:28:27 PM »
+1. I had the same thing happen with Bill Collins in the car with my continuation 66 GT350 convert. I wonder if you remember that Bill? It was the ignition switch ignition switch in my case. The internals are compromised and not working like a switch. Starter Solenoid issue is typically the starter continuing to be engaged and turning. wack it with something to knock the inside loose as Bill C mentioned.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2023, 03:29:13 PM »
Try replacing the solenoid. Had this problem a few years ago, new solenoid did the trick...

Me to on a 67...freakiest thing!
RARE  Signature Delete

Bill Collins

• '65 GT350 006 owner since 1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2023, 03:49:59 PM »
+1. I had the same thing happen with Bill Collins in the car with my continuation 66 GT350 convert. I wonder if you remember that Bill? It was the ignition switch ignition switch in my case. The internals are compromised and not working like a switch. Starter Solenoid issue is typically the starter continuing to be engaged and turning. wack it with something to knock the inside loose as Bill C mentioned.

You are right Bob - the "whack job" fix is to stop the engine from cranking. The no stop when turning the key off is the ignition switch. I've had it happen on a couple of other cars besides yours. Just a function of aging components. Speaking of aging, am I developing an "old timer's" condition?  ;D
Enthusiast since 1965, SAAC charter member since 1975 and Regional Rep since 1985, GT350 Owner since 1971, 289 Cobra owner 1979-2016, Ford GT owner 2006 - 2017

csxsfm

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2023, 04:32:36 PM »
Bad old Ford ignition switch did that to me.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2023, 04:39:00 PM »

You are right Bob - the "whack job" fix is to stop the engine from cranking. The no stop when turning the key off is the ignition switch. I've had it happen on a couple of other cars besides yours. Just a function of aging components. Speaking of aging, am I developing an "old timer's" condition?  ;D
  :D

s2ms

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • 6S1757 Info
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2023, 04:46:51 PM »
When I had the same problem on my 66 as the OP, it wasn't the starter trying to keep engaging. I had just returned from a long drive, pulled in the garage, turned the key off, and the engine just kept happily running. Changed key positions, no change. I also strongly suspected the ignition switch but just decided to try replacing the (original FoMoCo) solenoid, since it was much easier and had an NOS Motorcraft solenoid handy. Was surprised that was the problem.
Dave - 6S1757

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2023, 05:31:50 PM »
I have had this issue a couple times. In both cases unplugging the voltage regulator shut the car off. They were both brand new repop voltage regulators.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2023, 11:57:20 AM »
I had this same problem on my 428 Mach1 after repainting the engine bay and engine. I took the solenoid off. Sanded the paint behind it and mounted the solenoid back on(better ground). My screws were not real tight initially either. No problems since
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)