News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

SAAC-48 National Convention

Started by Eric Frarey, January 29, 2023, 06:29:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric Frarey

1967 GT 350 brethren, I am still a new owner of #1373. (16 months). I am excited and planning on attending this years national convention at Pittrace. Trying to decide if I am coming with or without the car. It's 300 miles to event and would be driving either way. I did get to the Glen (50 miles) vintage races last year and travel to and from and on track went great. I do understand all the positives of having the car; enjoying the trip, showing, on track, etc.  I also understand without the car it would be a great opportunity for research and networking. My concerns, and would love any and all constructive advice, are: Attend with or without the car? How best should I plan the route,  smaller highways so as not to wind it up on the 90?  Breakdown assistance?  I have collector car insurance and will review towing benefits. Are there other collector car towing/shipping options?  Safety against theft at hotel, track and traveling?  I appreciate any input from your experiences. Thank you.
Eric
1967 Shelby GT 350 #1373

kkupec02

1967 GT500 #817
1967 Corvette Roadster

FL SAAC

beautiful ride and welcome aboard
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

tgilliam

Good Day Eric,
I have been in your position before - should I take a car to the convention or just attend? I have done it both ways over the years. I enjoyed the convention in a much better way when I brought my car there. I felt like a participant instead of just a spectator when I took a car.
That said, I would advise doing very good pre-planning ahead for the event. Although your distance is not too extreme, I suggest trying to arrange to trailer the car to Pittsburgh. I went to the convention there in 2018(?) I believe. Once at the Host Hotel/Motel general area there will be a need for considerable driving - you will not miss out on getting seat time during the event. My reasoning, the 67 Shelby is so iconic these days, it cannot help to draw a lot of attention. Unfortunately attention can come in a good way or bad way. You have a very beautiful car and I am sure you enjoy sharing it with other enthusiasts. However, if you had anything bad happen traveling to/from the event or while at the event I am sure it would ruin the experience and your enjoyment of the convention.
Also, the car is 56 years old now. No matter how good the condition, any kind of minor or major problem/breakdown could turn into a very bad situation for you away from your local area. Just a flat tire or battery issue may be difficult to address on the road. If you have the opportunity to travel with some other friends going to the convention from your area it would be a big plus for you. Support, backup, additional cars/friends to help if needed is priceless when traveling.
I know SAAC and all involved with the convention work hard to make sure there is security for people and cars coming to the convention BUT it is the Owner's responsibility to use good judgement.
I would love to see your car in person at the convention. I love Shelbys and specifically 67's but would advise that you use the next five months to properly prepare to attend and give yourself the best possible chance of having a great time.
I hope to see you there!

Tom Gilliam
tom@jtgil.com

shelbymann1970

2019 at Pitt. Good show. I went as a spectator.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Eric Frarey

Appreciate the comments and perspective.
1967 Shelby GT 350 #1373

roddster

But, there's more:

Back when, and I'm talking about SAAC 11 and 14 in Dearborn, I drove my 67 GT 350 to the convention from the Chicago area.
  Drove it from the south suburbs of Chicago to Elkhart Lake's first time SAAC convention too.  I also drove it from the south Chicago 'burbs to Indianapolis.  Down to Brown County state park for numerous spring flings too.
    Rolling along at 70 MPH you'll be cranking the 289 with 3:89 gears at 3500 rpm.  It will stay together.  Turn the radio off and enjoy the whine from that engine.
  Today, it goes on the trailer.  Why? Because I have that "rear view mirror paranoia".  But, I'll take it off the trailer, roll the parade laps if allowed.  Drive it around the grounds.  At the MCA 40th, (at Indy) I ran the BF Goodrich autocross two or three times.  Sometimes I'll take it off the trailer at the hotel and drive it from there.
   If you don't take your car to a close convention, you'll wish you did.  My limit is just about 10 hours of driving, even on the trailer.  But, SAAC conventions now are not like they used to be.  We're getting older, the cars more fragile, other drivers will make you nuts.  Either way, you'll have a great time.

TOBKOB

If it makes you feel better I drove a 91 yr old car (1931 Model A) 280 miles, toured 3 days and drove back home last October. I try to do all the national tours and usually trailer to the host hotel then drive it a few hundred miles, so if your '67 is in good condition I would trust the car but not the idiots on the road.

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

shelbymann1970

I don't have a trailer or truck to tow. My friends that do are usually towing their own. That makes me limited. I have had my vert at a few national conventions and the Ford 100 years show in 2003. Won concours driven gold at MCA in Dearborn 2003. I still drive my car to cruise nights and some shows even with the value escalating and more IDIOTS on the road. After almost being rear ended many times(1 young lady said she couldn't see my brake lights good) I went to LED tail lights in my Vert. I recommend them to all Shelby owners  if you drive your cars. Pic below I drove my vert to SAAC 15 and my brother drove my drag pack GT500. Woodward dream Cruise Ford Pef display 2017 . Ford 100 years show. Greenfield Village Motor Muster  which I drive to every year.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Eric Frarey

1967 Shelby GT 350 #1373

Bossbill

We should start a club with all the 1370's cars in this thread!
Bill

67 GT350 Actual Build 3/2/67  01375
70 B302   6/6/70  0T02G160xxx

S7MS427

Being at an event without a car is like sitting on the sidelines.  I drive my cars as I don't own a trailer.  I'm planning on driving both my cars to the convention this year.  Just a straight shot down the turnpike for me...
Roy Simkins
http://www.s-techent.com/Shelby.htm
1966 G.T.350H SFM6S817
1967 G.T.500 67400F7A03040

Eric Frarey

1967 Shelby GT 350 #1373

ShelbyBoss

Beautiful car Eric!  Reminds me of my 67 GT350 (#2888).

I have a similar situation with my '70 Boss 302.  I love to attend the All Ford Nationals in Carlisle, PA (haven't missed a single one since 1995 when they initiated it), but I don't want to drive my multiple MCA Gold winning Boss the ~300 miles there from Long Island.  Same situation with SAAC & MCA shows since 2008 in Vineland, NJ, Buffalo NY, Merrimack NH, Pocono, PA - even Columbus OH, Fredericksburg VA, Charlotte NC and Savanah GA.  My solution?  A U-Haul trailer.  $62/day including insurance.  For 5 days (pickup trailer Wednesday evening, leave Thursday morning, get home Sunday night, return the trailer Monday morning) we're talking $330-350.   I recommend an F150 or an Expedition - a truck rated for 7,500 lbs or more.  I only drive Fords, but there are Chevy & Dodge trucks and SUVs that can do the job too.  Don't have a truck?  U-Haul will rent you that too for another $50/day. 

First time I did this in 2008 (heading to SAAC-33) I was a bit apprehensive.  But they hook up the trailer for you at U-Haul and you can practice in a parking lot (that's what I did).  Make sure you have a class 3 hitch and a ball rated for 7,500 lbs.  A Mustang weighs 2,500 - 4,000 lbs.; the trailer weighs 2,500lbs, so in the worst case you're at 6,500 lbs - well within the limit for what the lowest rated F150s and Expeditions can tow.  I'm sure you have a neighbor who has a boat they trailer to the water; boaters can teach you anything you want to know!

U-Haul makes it idiot proof; I'm serious: the ramps are built in, the tire straps are built in and designed so you can't get it wrong.  The front & rear axle chains are built in; so are stops so you can't overshoot the trailer.  The fender on the driver's side folds down so you can open the door.  I don't like to back up - so I don't.  More on that below. 

If you have a truck, on your day off go rent an "auto transporter" for a few hours.  Watch the kid who hooks it up for you; it's really easy if your truck has a backup camera.  The portion of the street I live on is straight, so right from the U-Haul dealer, I park the truck and the trailer in front of my house, setup the straps, pull out the ramps and lower the driver's side fender.  Then I jump in the Boss, drive it to just touching the edge of the ramps; I get out and see how I'm lined up and adjust if necessary.  Then I back up 2 or 3 car lengths and drive the Boss up the ramps onto the trailer at about 10-15 mph so that I can get the front wheels over the strap attaching bar and as close to the wheel stops as possible.  This will make sense to you when you see it.  When the car is on the trailer, I put it in gear with the eBrake on and the windows closed.  Open the door slowly, step out, lock the door and close it.  I get off the trailer, put the fender up, and attach the front wheel straps - they cradle the front wheels, attached from a bar behind the front wheels to the free end which goes into a ratchetting end afixed on the other side of the wheel stop,  Synch it down tight on each side.  Starting at the front - using my kneeling pad I take the front chain and wrap it around the "A" portion of the Mustang's frame-rail - using a towel to prevent the chain from scratching the frame rail.  The back is a little more difficult.  Wear a shirt you don't mind getting dirty (because your back is likely to brush against the gas tank and pick up road dirt).   Kneeling on my kneeling pad (after I insert the ramps back into the trailer in their driving position), I crawl over the bar, unpack the rear axle chain and literally throw it up and over the rear axle  (if you can imagine crawling on hands and knees, and taking a 10lbs chain (that wants to fall down) with one hand that has to go above your head, loop around the rear axle and hook/fasten to the trailer frame.  And That's It.  Drop your car on the show field and you'll have your truck to get around.  Carry two 12-18" sections of 2x12 in the back of your truck, just in case you need the height on the trailer tongue or you're parked on grass.

Most F150's have trailer apps in the dash, and the U-Haul has electric brakes.  The only thing you have to check (and the U-Haul kid will do this for you) is if the directions, brake lights and night driving lights go on.  Driving with trailer is easy - especially a V8 powered truck with 300bhp or more.  Go slow, be aware of your mirrors and keep following distances long - especially at the beginning.  And stay center or right lanes (you're not allowed in the left or HOV lanes in most states).  Wanna make it even easier on yourself?  Leave at 3AM, 4AM, etc. and you can guarantee for the first few hours of the trip there will be no one else on the road. 

Backing up: I don't. I plan my route so I don't have to.  Most places you would stop off the interstate have large parking lots, only go to large gas stations with many islands, and never go down a road that doesn't go all the way around a building.  Unfortunately, occasionally in a hotel parking lot or at the show.  Never fear: I just hop out of my truck and tell people around "Hey I'm new at this.  Could you help me back up my truck with my car on the trailer?"  And then hand them the keys.  I've never been refused.  Mustang and Shelby owners are nice people!

Hope this helped!
ShelBoss | 19 GT350R | 86 SVO | 70 Boss | 67 GT Vert

shelbydoug

Quote from: ShelbyBoss on February 17, 2023, 09:47:38 PM
Beautiful car Eric!  Reminds me of my 67 GT350 (#2888).

I have a similar situation with my '70 Boss 302.  I love to attend the All Ford Nationals in Carlisle, PA (haven't missed a single one since 1995 when they initiated it), but I don't want to drive my multiple MCA Gold winning Boss the ~300 miles there from Long Island.  Same situation with SAAC & MCA shows since 2008 in Vineland, NJ, Buffalo NY, Merrimack NH, Pocono, PA - even Columbus OH, Fredericksburg VA, Charlotte NC and Savanah GA.  My solution?  A U-Haul trailer.  $62/day including insurance.  For 5 days (pickup trailer Wednesday evening, leave Thursday morning, get home Sunday night, return the trailer Monday morning) we're talking $330-350.   I recommend an F150 or an Expedition - a truck rated for 7,500 lbs or more.  I only drive Fords, but there are Chevy & Dodge trucks and SUVs that can do the job too.  Don't have a truck?  U-Haul will rent you that too for another $50/day. 

First time I did this in 2008 (heading to SAAC-33) I was a bit apprehensive.  But they hook up the trailer for you at U-Haul and you can practice in a parking lot (that's what I did).  Make sure you have a class 3 hitch and a ball rated for 7,500 lbs.  A Mustang weighs 2,500 - 4,000 lbs.; the trailer weighs 2,500lbs, so in the worst case you're at 6,500 lbs - well within the limit for what the lowest rated F150s and Expeditions can tow.  I'm sure you have a neighbor who has a boat they trailer to the water; boaters can teach you anything you want to know!

U-Haul makes it idiot proof; I'm serious: the ramps are built in, the tire straps are built in and designed so you can't get it wrong.  The front & rear axle chains are built in; so are stops so you can't overshoot the trailer.  The fender on the driver's side folds down so you can open the door.  I don't like to back up - so I don't.  More on that below. 

If you have a truck, on your day off go rent an "auto transporter" for a few hours.  Watch the kid who hooks it up for you; it's really easy if your truck has a backup camera.  The portion of the street I live on is straight, so right from the U-Haul dealer, I park the truck and the trailer in front of my house, setup the straps, pull out the ramps and lower the driver's side fender.  Then I jump in the Boss, drive it to just touching the edge of the ramps; I get out and see how I'm lined up and adjust if necessary.  Then I back up 2 or 3 car lengths and drive the Boss up the ramps onto the trailer at about 10-15 mph so that I can get the front wheels over the strap attaching bar and as close to the wheel stops as possible.  This will make sense to you when you see it.  When the car is on the trailer, I put it in gear with the eBrake on and the windows closed.  Open the door slowly, step out, lock the door and close it.  I get off the trailer, put the fender up, and attach the front wheel straps - they cradle the front wheels, attached from a bar behind the front wheels to the free end which goes into a ratchetting end afixed on the other side of the wheel stop,  Synch it down tight on each side.  Starting at the front - using my kneeling pad I take the front chain and wrap it around the "A" portion of the Mustang's frame-rail - using a towel to prevent the chain from scratching the frame rail.  The back is a little more difficult.  Wear a shirt you don't mind getting dirty (because your back is likely to brush against the gas tank and pick up road dirt).   Kneeling on my kneeling pad (after I insert the ramps back into the trailer in their driving position), I crawl over the bar, unpack the rear axle chain and literally throw it up and over the rear axle  (if you can imagine crawling on hands and knees, and taking a 10lbs chain (that wants to fall down) with one hand that has to go above your head, loop around the rear axle and hook/fasten to the trailer frame.  And That's It.  Drop your car on the show field and you'll have your truck to get around.  Carry two 12-18" sections of 2x12 in the back of your truck, just in case you need the height on the trailer tongue or you're parked on grass.

Most F150's have trailer apps in the dash, and the U-Haul has electric brakes.  The only thing you have to check (and the U-Haul kid will do this for you) is if the directions, brake lights and night driving lights go on.  Driving with trailer is easy - especially a V8 powered truck with 300bhp or more.  Go slow, be aware of your mirrors and keep following distances long - especially at the beginning.  And stay center or right lanes (you're not allowed in the left or HOV lanes in most states).  Wanna make it even easier on yourself?  Leave at 3AM, 4AM, etc. and you can guarantee for the first few hours of the trip there will be no one else on the road. 

Backing up: I don't. I plan my route so I don't have to.  Most places you would stop off the interstate have large parking lots, only go to large gas stations with many islands, and never go down a road that doesn't go all the way around a building.  Unfortunately, occasionally in a hotel parking lot or at the show.  Never fear: I just hop out of my truck and tell people around "Hey I'm new at this.  Could you help me back up my truck with my car on the trailer?"  And then hand them the keys.  I've never been refused.  Mustang and Shelby owners are nice people!

Hope this helped!

You must be made of sterner stuff then me? Towing out of LI to the Cross Bronx over the GW?

I did that once and still have nightmares about it.

Going out was easy. Coming back was ridiculous. It took 2-1/2 hours to get from Newark Int Airport to the toll booths on the GW, then I had to cross over to the extreme right lane with the trailer to get on 87 north and all the "jabonga's" didn't want me to.

If it wasn't for the GW, Cross Bronx issue, I'd do it again. As a matter of fact I'm considering it again for the Pitts. 87 to Tappan-zee to 287 south.

I had to go to Wappangers Falls to pick up the trailer since none were available here. Reservations with U-haul mean nothing.

Coming back from Wappangers, tree fell across the road on 9A and I had to back up the trailer into a graveyard between two stone pillars. Two lane road. First time I ever trailered. Serge brake was quite a trip.

Was going to Dearborn II. Stopped at McDonalds along the way out. Cut the corner too close and hit the "box" of the outboard McDonalds with the trailer.

Everything in life is an adventure. I can swear that I had no grey hair until I got home after everything.

Oh. Good thing I brought the trailer. Backing the car off at home, clutch went out.

Come to think of it, my hair was probably falling out by then. Must have aged 10 years overall through the event?

I learned that when you are going 75 and you get cross winds, the trailer will start to steer unless you put your foot into the accellerator to pull it up. Kind of like driving a Porsche 930 through the on ramp when the rear starts to come around?
You don't back off, you put power to it to pull it up.  ::)

Wait a minute. Did I say I was considering towing out again? Nix that thought! Nix, Nix. I must be drunk now or something?  ;D
68 GT350 Lives Matter!