News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Headers for GT500

Started by dabigpud, June 21, 2018, 08:20:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

67_1183

Quote from: Bob Gaines on June 28, 2018, 03:54:34 PM
On one of my cars I made up a tip out of 3 inch tube and had one end squeezed down to fit over the 2 1/2 exhaust and the other end cut at a angle to mimic the stock tip. I had it chromed and it looks pretty stealth.

Nice!
2nd owner of 67 GT500 #1183 since September 1976

427heaven

Theres no wrong way to install headers just different ways. Heres how I did it, jack the car up in the back as high as you can get it this does a couple of things. Im bigger than most guys so this gives you access under the car and makes it nice to get to the front of the engine. Make sure you use proper jack stands so we can here back from you. Another tip is to remove the valve covers, pent roofs are a pain in the arse and wont let big hands down towards the back of the engine. Loosen both engine mounts and trans mount just enough for a little wiggling you will need this for installing. Remove plug wires and plugs I know it sounds time consuming but you will gain lots of time doing so. Put tissue paper in exhaust ports for the safety factor don't want ANY junk in there. Slide those hp makers in with slow steady increments another set of hands and eyeballs is always a good thing for the first time doing this. The ingredient is having assorted swivels and end wrenches and extensions most guys have this stuff in the tool boxes if not a trip to your local hardware store is in order. Good Luck we are waiting to here back from you. If you get in a bind I will personally get you unstuck. ;)

shelbydoug

Quote from: 67gt500 on June 28, 2018, 03:50:43 PM
In the last while, I have helped my friend put Hookers on his 68 Mustang 390 auto car, and we were able to bolt the drivers side on while the engine was out. Then sit the right side in the car and then slip the engine in. Once we had in most of the way there, we were able to pull the header up and bolt it or.. I have also just done that the same way with FPA headers on my 67GT500 4 speed car.. Hope that is of some help..

AH HA! THE CASE IS SOL VED!  :D
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

427heaven

On a new install I have heard you can lay the headers in place and slowly lower the new engine in place. A different way for sure maybe easier I don't know. But an existing install I have had pretty good success as outlined previously. Good Luck-

1967 eight barrel

When I re-installed my engine I removed all engine mount bracketry from the block. Set the flanges above the mounts and lower the engine in. Put them on, re-install the block mount plates and mounts.  Set it down. It was about a four hour job with two people. I personally do not install the two lower center bolts. 
Just food for thought.
                                                                                  -Keith