News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

69 GT 350 Transmission questions

Started by RickD, January 07, 2023, 11:03:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RickD

I have a 69 GT 350 that I purchased last summer.  I've had a few Mustangs over the years but this is my first Shelby and I am still finding my way.  It originally came with a four speed wide ratio transmission data plate code 5.  During the restoration of the car in the mid 80s a 5 speed Doug Nash transmission was installed.  Its great fun to drive and I enjoy the 5 speed but am considering finding an original transmission and putting the car back to the way it came.  My questions;  I have read that the wide ratio trans was not a popular transmission, why was that?  And any advice on where to start looking for that transmission?  Thanks.

Coralsnake

RickD

Thank you Coralsnake.  I have been on your site several times learning about my 69.  Fantastic site and information.  Thank you.  Was it the wide ratio that made it unpopular, or just not a commonly ordered transmission?

Coralsnake

I think the gearing just made it less desirable from a performance perspective

Bob Gaines

The wide-ratio transmission was less popular because of the drastic change in gear ratios between first and second, and third and fourth, with fourth gear being 1:1. A close gear ratio is a more gradual change between gears, but again ending up at 1:1 in fourth gear. The close ratio by far is the most popular but there are people that like the wide ratio. To each their own.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

FL SAAC

before you swap attempt to find another mustang / Shelby owner with the original transmission

go for a ride and compare what you have to what you wish you think you would like to have

have riden in both a top (we have two) loader and D. N. equipped car, Doug's configuration wins off the line and especially on a long trip   

get the original tranny, linkage and shifter for originality and polish it up real purty, then put it on a pedestal.....
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Royce Peterson

Especially with a small block the wide ratio is a much better transmission option. Far easier to drive. It wasn't offered on big blocks so no options there.

Personally, I would stick with the Doug Nash 5 speed. Maybe buy the correct parts and sell them with the car someday. What you have is far better.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

RickD

Thanks for the great advice.  I appreciate it. I have had the good fortune to connect with the owner (he had the car for 26 years) who restored the GT 350 in the mid 80s and installed the DN trans.  He said the same thing to me; keep the DN trans and find an original trans to have with the car.  I think its unanimous.

shelbymann1970

Quote from: RickD on January 08, 2023, 09:44:23 AM
Thanks for the great advice.  I appreciate it. I have had the good fortune to connect with the owner (he had the car for 26 years) who restored the GT 350 in the mid 80s and installed the DN trans.  He said the same thing to me; keep the DN trans and find an original trans to have with the car.  I think its unanimous.
I found a wide ratio 68 trans for my 68 Shelby with a 302 in it and installed that. 3.50 gears. I have a close ratio in my 70 GT350 with 3.25 gears. To be honest in all the years cruising both cars I really never noticed a difference in the 2 but never raced-only cruised. I'd keep the 5 speed but find a wide ratio one from an originality standpoint. Did you ask the prior owner what happened to the trans? That trans has your vin on it.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

crossboss

As mentioned, keep the 5 speed. That said, the Wide Ratio is the better trans on the street.
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1970 GT-500--#3129--Grabber Orange.
Current lifelong projects:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

RickD

Thanks all for the great advice.  The original transmission was sold in the 80s during the restoration of the GT 350.  Thankfully my car still has the original engine that was nicely rebuilt and the restoration was well done.  I live in North Dakota so its in storage right now, can't wait for spring.

shelbymann1970

Quote from: RickD on January 10, 2023, 07:19:34 AM
Thanks all for the great advice.  The original transmission was sold in the 80s during the restoration of the GT 350.  Thankfully my car still has the original engine that was nicely rebuilt and the restoration was well done.  I live in North Dakota so its in storage right now, can't wait for spring.
When I did my 68 Shelby I was new to 68s. I bought it without a trans(PO and a coworker bought it with a 428SCJ auto in it). I looked and it was "code 5" for transmission. Well being a 69 guy to me that is wide ratio. I found one on Ebay(8Fxxxxxx vin on it) and bought it. I found out later on that code 5 was used for both Wide ratio and close ratio trans in 1968(Dumb for Ford). Like I said I don't really remember a difference in driving my 68 with a WR compared to my 70 with a CR. But I'd leave the 5 speed in it but search for a correct trans "RUG-E3" according to David Kee's toploader chart.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

brandosaac

If you decide you want a Toploader,
I have a professionally rebuilt RUG-E3 ( correct for 1969 mustang wide ratio) sitting in a plastic bag that id part with.
If interested , send me a personal message with your email address or number that I can text pics to.
Might even have an original 69 shifter

RickD

Brandosaac, just sent my contact info to you in a PM.  Thanks.