News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Forgive me father for I have sinned

Started by deathsled, June 17, 2018, 12:26:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathsled

I broke down tonight and bought an Exide group 24 battery for big red. But what choice did I really have? The car is restored modified anyway but still I would have preferred a Ford product....
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

Don Johnston

A driven classic with any battery is better than a garage queen with a correct one.  When you decide to park it for concourse, display, you can drop in a correct one.  Now go out and play! 8)

Stillakid54

As Don says, and I have faced, when you just want to go drive, with  no worries of "will it start?", put in place what will not fail you. I nurse along a correct grp 27 for my 69 and even on a bettery tender I always top it up with a charger for 18 hr. before I drive it.
68-2766, since 1990
69-2524, since 1992

Bob Gaines

Just wait until the subject matter with the same title has to do with replacing a whole bank of batteries for the electric motor that has been retrofitted in place of your classic Shelby's internal combustion engine  :o !!! 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

427heaven

The good lord forgives all who try to keep all Shelby products on the road or track ! With original products or not, he knows who is trying- ;)

deathsled

Had big red out this morning with the new battery.  She liked that!  Running better than a Swiss watch.  How I love that car.  Not that I'd ever sell, but I find my eyes wandering to a 67 GT 500.  Seeing them makes me go. Hmmmmmm...what if...But I would only add to the harem. Never subtract.

Bigfoot

I just get a battery at Napa or Walmart and peel of the stickers.
Now you have a flat black battery with no advertisements and looks great.
And modern convenience.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

deathsled

Quote from: Bigfoot on June 17, 2018, 12:27:24 PM
I just get a battery at Napa or Walmart and peel of the stickers.
Now you have a flat black battery with no advertisements and looks great.
And modern convenience.

I like that idea.  I'll consider it for the Exide.  Well at least the Exide is made in the USA so I'm okay with that feature.

NC TRACKRAT

"Well at least the Exide is made in the USA so I'm okay with that feature."
...and the all-important mounting "ears" in the proper location.
5S071, 6S1467

SHELB66

Save your labels just in case.  Even the best of batteries can experience a shorted cell and will need warranty replacement.  Any "alteration" just might void the warranty.  Just sayin!

Craig R
66 Hertz 6S1564
06 Hertz #446
64 Ranchero V8 4spd
02 Explorer Sport Trac

Don Johnston

I am unable to get the correct battery here so I use what ever is available and works well.  Exide is not distributed in Hawaii and batteries by catalog are not available due to shipping restrictions.  So I enjoy the ride as it is with a later year upper hold down bracket. Definitely not a stress factor requiring religious apologies. 8)

427heaven

^^^^^ Your car leaving you stranded somewhere might turn into a religious experience. I go with the same train of thought as an engine, put in the most powerful,biggest,freshest one you can get. Then enjoy the ride..... :)

deathsled

^^^^
Lol! Religious experience being stranded. Touchee