News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

1970 Front Spoiler ID

Started by 69 GT350 Vert, August 06, 2023, 07:23:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69 GT350 Vert

Is there a way to identify an original front spoiler for a 1970 shelby?  Were the shelby spoilers different from the spoilers on Boss or Mach 1's? 

Thanks.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 69 GT350 Vert on August 06, 2023, 07:23:35 PM
Is there a way to identify an original front spoiler for a 1970 shelby?  Were the shelby spoilers different from the spoilers on Boss or Mach 1's? 

Thanks.
Yes they are unique. Differences on how they look and attach.  Factory ones have what looks like a crudely added S9MS part number to the inside lip towards the middle I believe . There is a excellent repro that Henry Huisman. Paradise Automotive. (813) 920-7544 had made up .  It is made up like original . Same material feel and look. I think Branda carries his reproductions front spoilers.. It is the only one That I would consider using on a 70 Shelby.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

crossboss

Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1970 GT-500--#3129--Grabber Orange.
Current lifelong projects:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

Special Ed

The original 70 shelby spoiler had SOMS id eng # melted in bottom side on 1 end  rear area and i have had and seen dozz# melted on  bottom also and they are a little thicker and not sure if they are a service spoiler or just another vendor or used at end of production when soms spoilers ran out. I have never seen a 70 spoiler sold nos in a box and think ford sold the 69 boss 302 c9zz spoiler as a service replacement but they are different. s9ms is 69 soms is 70 shelby id number. The 70 shelby spoiler that hank sells is the best made today and its a copy from one of my originals and  comes with  my correct n bolts and a mounting instructions copy of my original (only one ever found 1970 shelby spoiler instructions) sheet that i got out of detroit  back in the 80s that came out of ford motor co.

69 GT350 Vert

Ok thanks.  I am going to look at a 13,000 mile all original convertible and am trying to get educated on the 70 unique parts.  Can you see the numbers on the spoiler if it is installed?

Special Ed

yes up by the bolt holes on 1 side