News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Restoring intake manifold

Started by andric, August 22, 2022, 08:46:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andric

The intake manifold on my 65 GT350 has gotten stained from gas leaking from carb. It seems as if there was a clear coat of some kind on the intake. I tried some aluminum cleaner but to no avail. I hate to sandblast but if someone has run across this, I would like some advice.  Rick

Bob Gaines

Quote from: andric on August 22, 2022, 08:46:28 PM
The intake manifold on my 65 GT350 has gotten stained from gas leaking from carb. It seems as if there was a clear coat of some kind on the intake. I tried some aluminum cleaner but to no avail. I hate to sandblast but if someone has run across this, I would like some advice.  Rick
Stains on the bare aluminum will come off with carb cleaner spray. If there is clear coat then you will have to strip that off then clean the stain . I think clear coating the aluminum intake changes the original look plus is more of a maintenance problem then a help.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

Don't sand or bead blast it.  Your going to need to strip it all  and using the search find and read some of the prior threads on refinishing aluminum parts such as the original intakes
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge