News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

1968 Shelby Roll bar harness installation questions with pics.

Started by BlackCobraKR, July 16, 2022, 03:57:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlackCobraKR

I purchased a 1968 style Shelby Roll bar from Tony Branda also purchased a 3 point harness from Classic Industries which are supposed to bolt on to the roll bar for 68 Shelby . Is there some sort of bracket that goes in between the roll bar harness mount location and the roll bar that I am missing? Here are some pics.

The hole on the roll bar mount does not seem to line up with the big hole on the harness reel.

BlackCobraKR

Here is a pic of the roll bar. Were 1967 and 1968 Shelby Roll bar harness mounting pads the same? Perhaps the Tony Branda place sent me the wrong one?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: BlackCobraKR on July 16, 2022, 04:14:16 PM
Here is a pic of the roll bar. Were 1967 and 1968 Shelby Roll bar harness mounting pads the same? Perhaps the Tony Branda place sent me the wrong one?
67 and 68 inertia reels are different and so are the mounting points. The bolt hole location is different between a 67 and 68 roll bar because the reels are different. On original cars there is no adapter plate for the reels.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Coralsnake

Youre dealing with the aftermarket parts. I think you have already identified the problem.

👍

BlackCobraKR

Quote from: Bob Gaines on July 16, 2022, 05:16:46 PM
Quote from: BlackCobraKR on July 16, 2022, 04:14:16 PM
67 and 68 inertia reels are different and so are the mounting points. The bolt hole location is different between a 67 and 68 roll bar because the reels are different. On original cars there is no adapter plate for the reels.

Can you tell by my pics whether the inertia reel mounting points on my roll bar are like a 67 or 68? That would at least tell me what I have. I will contact Tony Branda on monday and see what they say, but I was wondering if you guys could tell if 67 or 68 mounting point.

Thanks guys I appreciate the info!

Coralsnake

I think the mounting hole is centered on the 68. But, Mr Gaines can confirm his observations.

I can tell you the two upper mounting tabs on the bar pictured will never be mistaken for a 1968.

😉

JD

Not sure if this will help but, two images I have of '67 Shelby Roll bars.

The one is early with the flap covering the the attaching tab and bolt to the roof, and the other late with the exposed bolt head at the roof - both appear to have the mounting hole for the shoulder straps off-center.  Hope this helps,

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

BlackCobraKR

Quote from: Coralsnake on July 17, 2022, 06:47:08 AM
I think the mounting hole is centered on the 68. But, Mr Gaines can confirm his observations.

I can tell you the two upper mounting tabs on the bar pictured will never be mistaken for a 1968.

😉

Yeah I know, but it is all i can afford right now and the Tony Branda roll bar is the only one being reproduced that is at least somewhat close. I was trying to get a real 68 Shelby roll bar but I waited a long time to find one and the only one I found for sale the guy wanted 2500 for it. Doesnt matter though because this is only a clone and not real. But just trying to make it at least look somewhat like it should.

I appreciate your help and input! Hopefully Gaines can confirm the location of the mounting hole for the inertia reel.

BlackCobraKR

Quote from: JD on July 17, 2022, 09:43:56 AM
Not sure if this will help but, two images I have of '67 Shelby Roll bars.

The one is early with the flap covering the the attaching tab and bolt to the roof, and the other late with the exposed bolt head at the roof - both appear to have the mounting hole for the shoulder straps off-center.  Hope this helps,

It is interesting that the foam padding is not covering the inertia reel mount on either of those two 1967 roll bars and yes the holes do look off center. Thanks for posting these pics!

WT6066-2600

Latest "American Pickers" show included a made for TV barn find of 67 GT500 #1956 and included a good view of the 67 roll bar.

BlackCobraKR

Quote from: WT6066-2600 on July 17, 2022, 08:47:28 PM
Latest "American Pickers" show included a made for TV barn find of 67 GT500 #1956 and included a good view of the 67 roll bar.

That is good pic and it shows that the holes are off center and more towards the rear passenger side of the mount.  Thanks!

Coralsnake

Production 1967 and 1968 bars are different. I dont believe the 1968 bar is reproduced, so you are stuck with whats available if you are using aftermarket parts

BlackCobraKR

Quote from: Coralsnake on July 20, 2022, 07:39:05 PM
Production 1967 and 1968 bars are different. I dont believe the 1968 bar is reproduced, so you are stuck with whats available if you are using aftermarket parts

Yeah I was kinda prepared for that. But it looks like the inertia mounts on myTony Branda roll bar are more centered like a 68 mount would be instead of offset like the 67 ones that are shown in the above American Pickers photo. So it seems I will need to find some 68 Shelby Inertia reel seat belt set.