The Official SAAC Forum
November 21, 2017, 08:45:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Check out "The Weber Mystique" on saac.com  (Read 14846 times)
Computerworks
Administrator

Email
« on: July 10, 2008, 06:27:49 AM »

Be sure to read the latest SAACgacity (the semi-regular column on www.saac.com).

In this edition, Rick Kopec reflects on the undeniable allure of a set of Weber carbs.

>Click here to read the latest SAACgacity<

Use this thread to discuss the article.

A1965GT350

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 08:20:48 AM »

Great vintage photo of the webered engine.  Whats with the falcon seats in the background? Look NOS  Smiley

shelbydoug

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 09:00:51 AM »

"Seek professional help". It wouldn't matter. Shrinks see me coming and head in the other direction. The Webers aren't on my Shelby any more. They are on my Pantera. I think they were "under the glass" on the GT40's to keep the water out of them as much as anything. That would be a great idea for the Pantera. I can't even wash the car without covering the carbs.

I will say that with the 180 degree headers the engine has a F1 scream to it. Especially when the throttle sticks wide open. Grin

I still do have the Inglese Inductions poster on the wall in the garage. It gives me something to aim at when I pull out the fouled sparkplugs and throw them.

It's too late for me to be helped now. Save yourselves. Get vaccinated against Webers before it is too late.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 05:10:45 PM by shelbydoug » Logged

"buy it or watch it go by"
SFM5S000

California Native

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 10:20:02 AM »

A good realistic article by Rick, Webers arenít for everyone. And yes I would agree, Webers require certain tenacity, the knowledge and a clear and concise understanding of the fuel requirement system and its demands in various conditions, optimism and of course some extra spare change as things are done in sets of eight. Itís considerably a lot less expensive than trying to get into racing P-51D or P-40 airplanes as a hobby. If one has to be concerned about mileage or one too easily frustrated, consider a different Ö HeadSpin

2015 VP NorCal Region SAAC
2013/14 Member at Large Norcal Region SAAC
2012 VP NorCal Region SAAC
cobrabob

Email
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 11:45:50 AM »

Ahh, Webers, brings me back in time to those crazy, go-go 80's. Let's look at the pluses and minuses, shall we?
Pluses: they look fantastic when you open the hood
Minuses: they flood, washing your (formerly) well-oiled cylinders with gasoline
             they have a bog at around 1800 rpm which no expert was ever able to eliminate
             they don't allow any sort of effective air filtration, resulting in dust, dirt, and small birds being sucked into the (formerly) pristine
                regions of your engine
             with an aggressive cam, the overlap causes reversion, which results in exhaust noise coming out of the carbs. Not pleasant.
             they constantly foul plugs, resulting in your (formerly) V-8 becoming a V-6, V-4, V-0, depending on the degree of foulness.
Shelbydoug is right, get vaccinated or get aggravated.

Bigfoot
SAAC Member

RIP KIWI

Email
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 12:06:51 PM »

^^
You're making me bust a gut.  Good article too.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 12:12:04 PM by Bigfoot » Logged

**********RIP KIWI*********
Can YOU solve the Rubik's Cube?
6S2055

Email
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 04:12:30 PM »

Great article that brings back memories, espicially the backfire fires. In 1968 I owned CSX2192. It had the "wow factor webers". On a hot summer day was playing with a Jag XKE.When I parked noticed flames coming out of the hood scoop. Car cover in the trunk smothered the flames, but sure made a mess of the engine compartment. Now 40 years latter there is a set on my GT350.Have about $1500-2000 of jets, parts,chokes etc. Over the years I have met afew club members who run "the carbs" and we all share parts on the ever ending quest for "perfect tuning"! At least it saves money till your in the ball park. As noted on this GREAT article, they all seem to stumble between 1500-1800, but heck you are running @4500-6200 most of the time and in most instances the plugs dont foul up there. I was impressed @ the 9mpg....I need to go "tinker" as Im at about 6-7!!!!?

6S2055

Email
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 04:21:28 PM »

Surprised no mentioned the valve covers on the last picture in the article

shelbydoug

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 05:03:53 PM »

ssh! Don't encourage him. We are pretending that we didn't notice. Wink

Rick Kopec
SAAC Director

WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008, 05:36:09 PM »

No sense in making the peasants even more jealous than they are...

The people in the cheap seats always boo the loudest.
Kobrabob

Bob the Neanderthal

WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2008, 06:11:50 PM »

Nothing like an FE with a Weber setup. Got this from FPP out of California. Traded it for a 52IDA FE Weber intake. Very few 52s were made. I tried for years to get a whole set but no one that had one would part with them.

* 67BOB070small.jpg (20.62 KB, 405x383 - viewed 285 times.)

Everthing Cometh To He Who Waiteth
As Long As He Who Waiteth Worketh Like Hell While He Waiteth

Visit Bob's Favorite Links at www.bobacosta.com

http://www.bobacosta.com/favorite_links_4.html
Kobrabob

Bob the Neanderthal

WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2008, 06:39:58 PM »

I ended up doing the easiest thing I could find to do. I gave Inglese Webers (back when Jim owned it) the FE Weber intake and a detailed build sheet on the 427 S.O. it was going on. About $3K later an almost perfectly tuned setup showed up at my front door. I was lucky. I did have a minor lull at about 1800 rpm but how they wailed! I made the mistake to think that I could improve on the tuning. I could get them to run pretty well but not perfect. It didn't matter, the WOW FACTOR was unreal. As soon as I would open the hood at any gathering, it was like flies to dog poop. Drool cup time!
I sold the setup with the 67 GT500 #258. 
Bob

* BOB258Bsmall.jpg (61.96 KB, 800x512 - viewed 318 times.)

Rick Kopec
SAAC Director

WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2008, 07:12:47 PM »

Three sets in the world exist. This is fodder for another column.

The people in the cheap seats always boo the loudest.
shelbydoug

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2008, 08:14:16 PM »

Nothing like an FE with a Weber setup. Got this from FPP out of California. Traded it for a 52IDA FE Weber intake. Very few 52s were made. I tried for years to get a whole set but no one that had one would part with them.

Aren't those are 58mm IDA's I believe that you are referring to? There aren't any of those that say Kopec?

Kobrabob

Bob the Neanderthal

WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2008, 08:36:46 PM »

Hey Rick, if you have a picture of a 58mm IDA setup, can you post it?

BTW, guys there are some things you throw out but some stuff you just gotta save. My therapist still cannot explain this one. I have a binder full of letters written to me by Rick Kopec, back in the"TYPEWRITER" era discussing a variety of shelby Cobra related issues. I bet Rick has more mileage on a typewriter than anyone I know. Some were very lengthy letters. Today we take the PC and its word processing power and email, chatrooms & forums for granted. But just 20 years ago we communicated by snail mail and this guy had to written to many a Cobra challenged fanatic throughout the years. There was never, not once, a time I wrote to him thet he did not return an answer. Hats off to ya, Rick.

Bob Acosta

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!