News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Ford pulls out of SEMA - The end of the line for ICE support from Ford?

Started by stephen_becker, April 30, 2022, 03:13:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coralsnake

I think Ford is overestimating the demand for electric vehicles at this time.

When people start recognizing the true costs of EV they will have second thoughts.

stephen_becker

I agree with you 100% and hope your right - Really Disappointing especially with Farley at the helm and to be honest with you

Krelboyne

I think that it is just a sign of the times.

Printed material in magazines such as Motor Trend, Car and Driver, are all but gone.
People can get all of the information on their computer for free.

There are a bunch of online Journalists evaluating and testing the majority of all new cars. Most all of the manufacturers have media days where the journalists are invited to come and video test drives and evaluations of the current offerings.
YouTube has tons of content by some pretty competent hosts with decent editing skills. Most, tend to present unbiased opinions for their subscribers.

Don't forget, SEMA is a trade show, generally not open to the public. A trade show for Manufacturers and large suppliers of replacement and aftermarket car parts. Another words, targeting suppliers and vendors that sell vehicle parts.... To people, who likely already own a specific vehicle.

In 2005, the new Mustang had been shared with the aftermarket car part manufactures in advance. There were aftermarket parts available for the 2005 Mustang at the time of it's introduction. I think that it was genius on Ford's part, to work with the custom and aftermarket car parts industry.

Ford will have a presence at SEMA, but they won't have to pay for it.
Scott Behncke - Carchaeologist @ WCCC

98SVT - was 06GT

Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

68countrysedan

QuoteI think Ford is overestimating the demand for electric vehicles at this time.

When people start recognizing the true costs of EV they will have second thoughts.

Ditto

As someone, somewhere might have said, EVs are an answer to a misunderstood question.

csxsfm

Farley have any aftermarket parts in his vintage racing "289" Cobra or is he converting to electric? 

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: csxsfm on April 30, 2022, 10:28:07 PM
Farley have any aftermarket parts in his vintage racing "289" Cobra or is he converting to electric?

Farley doesn't care about current performance - unless it uses current. He came from Toyota and has a global not US view of the automobile. We Americans will need to become accustomed to buying transportation pods they want us to have not something we want for it's looks or performance.

I wonder how long before the new battery powered ElectraGlide-E hits the streets? I'll wager they are already pitching blue city PDs on the advantages of electric motorcycles.
Farley represents Ford on the board of directors of the U.S. China Business Council is co-chair of the Future of Mobility Commission.  In May 2021, shareholders of Harley-Davidson Inc. elected Farley to a seat on the board of directors of the legendary motorcycle maker.

Ford is going to split into 3 groups. If you read between the lines ICE will be the commercial vehicles group and everything else will be electric. I'll wager with Ford dropping SEMA and going to the Consumer Electronics Show they will be getting out of the performance business altogether. How long before Shelby is again abandoned on the side of the road by Ford looking at the future. Last time it happened gas prices were going up and .gov was tightening fuel requirements - kinda like they are doing now.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ford/2022/03/02/ford-ceo-jim-farley-unveils-plan-ev-model-e/6981544001/

Ford CEO Jim Farley is dividing up company operations, creating three separate automotive business units that include its existing commercial arm, as well as two new ones: Ford Blue, which will focus on the traditional internal combustion engine, and Ford Model e, which will develop the battery electric vehicles and connectivity, the company revealed Wednesday morning.

This step is designed to make the 118-year-old automaker more competitive against Tesla, the biggest electric vehicle competitor in the industry, as well as others, Farley told the Free Press during an interview.

Each division will have its own leadership, with the traditional vehicle skill team led by Kumar Galhotra, who has been Ford president of the Americas and International Markets Group. The newly created all-electric vehicle (EV) skill team will be led by Farley.

68countrysedan

QuoteFarley doesn't care about current performance - unless it uses current. He came from Toyota and has a global not US view of the automobile. We Americans will need to become accustomed to buying transportation pods they want us to have not something we want for it's looks or performance.

Very insightful observation IMHO, in addition to your other comments.

Didn't know Farley's background so I'm not surprised at his automotive views. Plus being on the U.S. China Business council is an increasing negative given world events.

As for transportation pods, I look at Tesla. Styling has a pod vibe, which most owners are indiffernt to. Then take the Mustang MachE and I see a borderline pod that could have been styled by Tesla. And you're right that auto manufacturers (with government in the background) are building what they want us to have not what we want. It's always been my opinion that the people advocating for EV transition don't like cars and ultimately would prefer public transportation for you, but not them.   

Glad that Ford is bright enought to maintain an ICE division. 

As an aside, I wonder how the electrical grid will handle the additional car charging demand. It also occurs to me that First World countries are transitioning to EVs but alot of the world isn't. Will EVs be popular in Mexico and Central and South America? 

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: 68countrysedan on May 04, 2022, 01:06:09 PMGlad that Ford is bright enough to maintain an ICE division. 

That will go away once they figure out how to electrify the big trucks. The main thrust of the ICE division will be the F550 and up. All the current small truck and SUV ICE development will be stagnant and their production will be moved to the E division as soon as their electric drivetrains are developed. I see the Expedition as the first one that will fully move over using the current F150 Lighting drive. I'll wager in 5 years ICE will be F550 up and diesel only and in 10 years that will also be gone.

Of course a big recession/depression will change the entire game plan and electric cars will be the first to go. All the US auto plants will get shuttered and we'll be driving Ford & GM cars from their plants in Mexico assembled with parts sourced from their plants in China.

Side-Oilers

^^^. Brett, I agree on all you wrote.

This is a gigantic stupid gamble for car makers. But, too late to turn back now..so they say. 

Your last paragraph is nail-on-the-head accurate.  A big recession/depression would also ruin Tesla and any other company made mostly of Bu11Sh1t.  Unless they're making electric shopping carts by then. But, who will be able to afford groceries?

No eating = no human methane = saving the planet.   A ha! THAT's the government's plan!!!
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

68countrysedan

Shelby73

The more they push electric cars the higher gas powered cars are going to get. It's going to take a while to convince a lot of people to go electric. There is a market for electric cars it's been proven. I just don't think it's as big as they think it is. The way they're going at it they must think everyone is going to switch over night. A lot of people have even switched from electric golf carts to gas in the beach areas in North and South Carolina. That might should send up a red flag.
67 Cobra CSX3251  65 K-code Conv
65 5S073.               65 A-code fastback
66 6S304.                67 390 GTA Conv.
66 Hertz 6S1863.      67 Playboy Coupe
68 KR Conv. 2529.     70 Mach1
07 Shelby Hertz Conv. 69 Z/28
66 MK1A Tiger.            66 Vette coupe
13 GT500                   
69 Boss 429

FL SAAC

Disadvantages of EVs include higher initial costs, limited driving range, and battery packs will be expensive to replace. Once the old batteries are out, the potential future hazards to the environment.

My main concern is fear the battery will run out of charge before reaching their destination, or  "range anxiety," the fear of too few charging stations, long charge times.

Today we have no worries as a fuel service station is "at every corner" and we pull in, fuel up and leave in no time. That's a commodity we do not want to give up.

We will be the last to entertain purchasing a mobile toaster as transportation
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Side-Oilers

^^^ Tony, I think there will be a lot of us "last guy in line" car people waiting for their Wham-O Toaster Car.

For me, that will be long after Hell has frozen over.

At least then, we'll know where all the fun car guys will be.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model